cool story angus.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Too much money and not enough friends.. haha Idk, there not all that bad
But if you're going to buy all these amps invest in a couple decent microphones..
He demo's gear for those who want to hear it.

He's a nice guy, i've talked to him before.

He may not be a very good player, but atleast he tries to help people out..
Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-1960 Yamaha Orange Sticker Acoustic
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
The Tone King is a bit of a running joke around here but yeah good on him for doing what he obviously loves to do. I just wish he'd learn a few different riffs
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Jul 29, 2010,
Yeah he plays a lot of the same stuff over and over again and has way too much gear that he prob never uses and likes to play 15W blues tube amps with EMGs, but hey, its his money, his channel. Why criticize? Hes helping people.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
Yeah he plays a lot of the same stuff over and over again and has way too much gear that he prob never uses and likes to play 15W blues tube amps with EMGs, but hey, its his money, his channel. Why criticize? Hes helping people.

He's not really help when he's not showing the true potential of an amp.
Quote by coolstoryangus

Atleast he's trying to help somewhat, bro.

Yeah his playing isn't very good at all, but cut him some slack. He's got all of these videos up, displaying gear, he replys to almost all comments and although his playing sucks, he's very knowageable on gear....You could seriously ask him a legit question and you can get a very well and in depth reply.

The videos might not help people out much, but his replies to questions do.
Gear:
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Quote by coolstoryangus

Yes, I agree with that. But it does give people insight on things they want to buy. I watch most of his videos he releases because it gives me options to new things I hadn't though about. He does some very affordable demos because not all people can afford his Mesas. He shows people some features of the amps and the basic sound. While I do think he should sell a few of his amps and invest in some mics, I do think he is helping people.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
I think his videos would be great if he just EQ'd his amps rather than putting everything at noon (Especially now that I hear he's properly mic'ing things).

That. Is. Not. How. You. Get. A. Fair. Comparison.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
I kind of assumed he owned a shop, he demos almost everything that comes out it seems like.

I lol at how he starts every clip with a single viking
Guitars
Amps
He's just doing his thing. If you think you can do better, then why not have at it instead of complaining?
Honestly, if you don't like him or his videos.

Simply don't watch them.

Stop whinning.
Gear:
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-5RH
Quote by Matt15f
I kind of assumed he owned a shop, he demos almost everything that comes out it seems like.

I lol at how he starts every clip with a single viking

I don't think he sells. He just built up a reputation from his website - and companies send stuff to him for evaluation. I'm speculating some stuff he gets to keep, some he buys but most has to go back. He's also reports from NAMM. Looks like he makes his money off of his website.
Let me preface that I am on the fence about TTK I would say I am not a huge fan either way.

I agree with "if you don't like him, don't watch him" but I think the point here is his demos are misleading for one, because of the way he initially mics them, and how he EQs the amps.

And #2 most important of all: If you self-proclaim yourself as the Tone King, he needs to properly demo these things. AMIRITE?
Blackstar ID:15TVP
2001 MIA Strat (SD '59/Stock/CustomCustom)
Early 80s Fernandes The Revival '57
Quote by sixstringedmatt
Let me preface that I am on the fence about TTK I would say I am not a huge fan either way.

I agree with "if you don't like him, don't watch him" but I think the point here is his demos are misleading for one, because of the way he initially mics them, and how he EQs the amps.

And #2 most important of all: If you self-proclaim yourself as the Tone King, he needs to properly demo these things. AMIRITE?

Well yeah. He gets SOOO many amps though and when i see an amp that interests me he keeps on popping up when i search for clips. Obviously clips arent the be all and end all because a good player can make practically anything sound good but tone king even does stupid mg comparisons and stuff . Some of the tones he gets out of decent amps sounds rubbish because of the way he sets it up and gullable people might actually think the amp sounds that way which isnt much help at all.
Quote by IdntNedUrCvlWar
Atleast he's trying to help somewhat, bro.

Yeah his playing isn't very good at all, but cut him some slack. He's got all of these videos up, displaying gear, he replys to almost all comments and although his playing sucks, he's very knowageable on gear....You could seriously ask him a legit question and you can get a very well and in depth reply.

The videos might not help people out much, but his replies to questions do.

Sweet, he still gives a poor representation of every single piece of gear he uses. I can't even get a sound AS BAD with the SAME GEAR.

I swear the Tone King is one of the biggest reasons why I tell people to try things out for yourself. Some people are morons that can't dial in a friggin' tone. The Tone King is one of them.

I appreciate that he's trying to help. But you're not helping if you're turning people away from the product. Let's face it, people are ignorant. Some people will watch a TTK video on a piece of gear and immediately pass it off as garbage because TTK can't learn to play the damn guitar. lol

It's really hard to hate on a guy who means so well, but I'm sorry, you can't just pass off what he does as alright just because he's trying to help people.

I bet he doesn't answer questions so well either, prolly just a fanboy for his products and he'll shove 'em down you're throat.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I hope he sees this thread and puts up a Mark V with some like 10 Top PRS, dials it in beautifully and just shreds. That would be awesome.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
I hope he sees this thread and puts up a Mark V with some like 10 Top PRS, dials it in beautifully and just shreds. That would be awesome.

Won't happen though.

Unless he's like the ultimate troll.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I like what he does, I just wish he would use a better microphone, or EQ the amps differently, most of the amps I've seen him use sound way too treble-y.
Quote by diceksox1809

He would be my hero then Plus it would take talent to get recordings that bad if he was actually decent.
Back in the 80's I launched a long and successful career in computer programming by becoming a video game writer. I was inspired by the fact that I could write bad games as good as the bad games that were making people lots of money.

All you complainers should be inspired by the fact that someone is making money by doing a bad job. That means you could make money by doing a bad job too. Stop complaining and start your own crappy gear channel on youtube.
ya! he's funny but also annoying. pgs videos are way better.
but then again you gotta take youtube with a grain of salt. everything starts to sound the same on youtube through computer speakers after a while.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
TS needed to start this thread off with one of these bad boys right here.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by cliff_em_all

Quote by fly135
Back in the 80's I launched a long and successful career in computer programming by becoming a video game writer. I was inspired by the fact that I could write bad games as good as the bad games that were making people lots of money.

All you complainers should be inspired by the fact that someone is making money by doing a bad job. That means you could make money by doing a bad job too. Stop complaining and start your own crappy gear channel on youtube.

lulz, the sad truth.
I like the guy, if only the recording was better ...

he's trying to help people after all
Quote by cliff_em_all

zing
Guitars
Amps
the vox night train is literally the only amp i've heard him make sound good. this dude should be doing children shows on pbs or hosting blues clues or something. he talks a lot more than he actually plays the amps, and plays all of them with every knob at 12 o;clock which is pretty annoying. I guess some of his "shootout" style vids are somewhat helpful, like the 1990 vs. jcm 900 one, but overrall this guy is an idiot imo.