I have a Tascam US-1641, and will soon have a set of drum mics to use with it. There are 8 xlr inputs on it, and you can put phantom power on all of them by selecting 1-4, 5-8, or all, 1-8. Now my question is can I turn on the phantom power to 1-4 and plug both condensers and dynamics into it?
I ask this question because in the instruction that came with the interface it said not to plug dynamic mic's into phantom power because it will damage them. However, I previously had a Tascam US-144 (portable, 2 xlr input interface), and remember reading that it was ok to plug a dynamic and condenser when phantom power was on (phantom power was either supplied to both, or turned off). So, does anyone know if I can plug in my two overhead condensers and 2 dynamic mics into the 4 channels supplied with phantom power?
you dont want to plug in or unplug a mic when phantom is on. you always always turn it on after you've plugged in and before you unplug. THAT can damage a mic. Dynamics though? they're just fine with phantom. not a problem at all under normal circumstances.
there was actually a bit of contention over this a while (years?) ago. people were poised on both sides of the issue and it was hard to find out what was true.

since then, ive run phantom power to a dynamic mic and had no issues. not the best thing in the world for it, but i havent had it hurt my mics. ive also talked to people who do it all the time, and while they agree it isnt neccessarily good, it shouldnt do damage unless the mic is cheap or poorly made anyway.
Yea, I'll be using the two condenser overheads, and then an SM57 (so pretty much indestructible) and one of the tom mic's in the series and see how that works. Thanks. And if anyone else has any insight, I'm still open to it.
I think the caution comes from making sure the cables are wired correctly. If they're not, you can kill your mic AND the unit, I believe. If they are... you're perfectly fine.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
I think the caution comes from making sure the cables are wired correctly. If they're not, you can kill your mic AND the unit, I believe. If they are... you're perfectly fine.

CT

This.

Phantom power applies positive voltage to (I believe, I may have got confused, it was a while ago when I learnt this) pins two and three and is grounded through 1. This works for condensers because pins two and three are connected to the circuitry, so it goes through them, powers the mic and exits through one.

Dynamic mics are different in that pins two and three are connected to the voice coil which usually floats above the ground, hence the loop or cycle isn't complete and therefore there's no current. BUT if there's something wrong with the wiring or if the ground in the Mic is messed up then that loop will be complete and therefore can damage the Mic.

I had heard that Ribbon mic's are more suceptible to damage but I can't see why except for the fact that a ribbon may be more likely to be shorted to ground.

If anyone can correct me on that or explain mroe concisely please do, I'm doubting myself a bit here.
^ I've also heard that ribbons are more susceptible to damage, but I'm not sure why other than they're generally more fragile.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by loonyguitarist
^ I've also heard that ribbons are more susceptible to damage, but I'm not sure why other than they're generally more fragile.

I guess it might be because it's not as rigid so it's more likely to move or be knocked out of place and therefore complete the circuit, but again I'm not sure.
you never use phantom on a ribbon. most ribbon mics have a separate power supply. chances are, if you give a ribbon mic 48v. you'll fry it.
Quote by sandyman323
you never use phantom on a ribbon. most ribbon mics have a separate power supply. chances are, if you give a ribbon mic 48v. you'll fry it.

LOL, what if there was an attenuator????

Not sure what purpose it would serve, just sayin.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
If you think about it the majority of low/medium end mixing desks only have a master phantom power, rather than on/off on each channel, and usually both dynamic and condenser mics are used for amplifying a drumkit, and most DI boxes are phantom powered, so I don't see why it should cause problems, but as others have said, it can't be the best thing in the world for them.

Also, you can get active ribbon mics that run off standard +48v phantom power - http://www.recording-microphones.co.uk/Golden-Age-ribbon--microphone.shtml
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?