Ok so I've been playing guitar now for around 6 months and I can easily do all chords (open or barre) but every time I do an open A chord it just doesnt seem to be working properly.

My index finger which is on the 4th string (D string) still hurts when pressing the string down and the string when the amp isnt on just buzzes... its not so recognisable when the amp is on its just really frustrating me that trying to play this chord is letting me down.

2 <<<<
X

What do I need to do? Any tips would really help?

Thanks
You might be pushing too hard. Try changing the order of your fingers. You're doing it the way I do it, but I've seen people do it 3 1 2. Or barre it.
Also, you want to press the string down as close to the fret as possible. Stick your finger right next to the fret and slowly increase the pressure until you get a clean note. Then, keeping that pressure, slide your finger to halfway between the two frets. See how it doesn't sound any more, or buzzes really badly? That's why it's good to press closer to the frets. Not only will your strings not buzz, but the notes will be more in tune and you won't have to use nearly as much pressure to get a clean sound.
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender American Special Strat
Assorted Boss and Hardwire pedals
Vox AC15C1
The string only rings clear if its closer to the fretboard so once I put my other two fingers on along with my index on the 4th string it just goes straight back to buzzing, it's really frustrating lol. I have to push down like super hard for it to start ringing clearly but then my index finger really starts to hurt.

Do you think I might have to build my index finger strength up or something?

Because it doesnt hurt when I play any other chord when using it, only an open A because I have to press down so hard :/
if its just the one string and the one fret it could be your guitar itself

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
I was possibly thinking that because this is the first and only guitar I have ever played. I might go and check it out at my local guitar shop one day. I'll play some others and see if it does it on them. If it does do it on them then I know it's my rubbish guitar playing skills and I need to practice some more lol.
Have you built up callouses on your fingers yet? It'll probably really hurt until then.
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox AC15C1
Only 1 week of learning here but had same problems with A. For me using my middle, ring, and pinky finger for A is much easier.
Quote by DManTech
Have you built up callouses on your fingers yet? It'll probably really hurt until then.

Yer all my fingers are fine apart from my index when playing that A chord. I've also noticed that playing it with fingers 2,3,4 is a lot easier and works. I'll just keep practising and see what happens and ill take my guitar to my local store and see if they say anything is wrong with it.
Well, hey, if it works for you to play it with 2, 3, and 4, that's great. It'll probably make it easier for you to learn barre chords later. Never hurts to get your guitar looked at, but if it works using that fingering, I'd say it's probably fine.
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox AC15C1
post a pic of the guitar neck side on so we can see how high the action is at the 2nd fret, the index finger is normally the strongest of the 4
Either barre the chord or use the pinky version of the chord where you use your middle, ring and pinky finger to finger the chord.
Gear:

Squier Tele Custom ii (p90 version)

Orange Crush 10

Fender CD140S
I can do an A barre chord it just makes it a lot harder when going from that to other open chords. I would rather learn the open A chord as it should be done with fingering 1,2 and 3.

I'll get a picture of my guitar some time soon and post it up for you because it's either my guitar or my playing that's at fault

Thanks for all your help so far
If the A chord standard fingering is 1,2,3 ;

I actually play it 2,1,3. Swapping the fingers gives me more space, and it's easier to switch to D and E open chord shapes I find. Try it out.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud