Lately I've been seriously considering waiting an extra month or so and upping by amp budget by a couple of grand to around $3500-4000ish.
Has anyone here had any experience with any "boutiquey" bass amps? Mainly Epifani, Acoustic Image, Demeter, Thunderfunk and Agulair (to a lesser extent). Is there much of a difference to your normal SWRs, Ampegs, Markbass, etc?
Not sure if you'd class these amps as boutique(y) but it's just kinda the way I see them, not as common around here and stuff.
Last edited by consecutive e at Jul 29, 2010,
Get. A. Reeves. Custom.

IMHO, one of, if not THEE, best custom amp builders out there. On par (as it's based off of) the old 70s Hiwatts.

Reeves 225. http://www.reevesamps.com/custom225.htm

What you listed though are all decent enough. Out of those, i'd go with Thunderfunk. The bummy thing about customs, though, is the inability to try-before-you-buy...
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
What advanatages do you think these amps will give you. Yes the cabs can be alot better then the standard lines but it all down to personnal preference if an ashdown is what sounds good to your ears get and ashdown. Theirs no need to blow out on something that might not make a huge difference for you. And the audience wont be able to tell the difference.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
What advanatages do you think these amps will give you. Yes the cabs can be alot better then the standard lines but it all down to personnal preference if an ashdown is what sounds good to your ears get and ashdown. Theirs no need to blow out on something that might not make a huge difference for you. And the audience wont be able to tell the difference.

I'm just trying to gather some info and looking at everything available to me, plus I like stuff that's out of the norm. I want to hear peoples experiences with these brands before I decide to take a 8 hour trip up the coast to try something I might not even buy.
I want the best possible sound I can get for myself for my money. I'm still considering cheaper stuff like Hartke, Warwick and Ashdown. Really not keen on Ampeg.
Last edited by consecutive e at Jul 29, 2010,
That kinda coin puts you in Walter Woods territory, and easily, Bergantino's IP series as well.

I've only recently (3yrs. now) upgraded from my vintage Polytone Minibrute-III to an Acoustic Image Clarus Series III. More important than the power increase, was the size/weight aspect. You get spoiled walking onto a gig with a 28lb, 1x15 combo. It's warm and transparent, with more than enough power for my needs; and only 5 lbs in a cigar box size enclosure. It drives a Bergantino 1x12.

With this said, the AI's I think are favored by acoustic bass players using piezo type systems. Jazz guitarists as well. During my research, I got the feeling many electric players liked the Tunderfunk. AI works for me cause I play a piezo equipped horizontal acoustic.
Quote by OtamotPuhctek
That kinda coin puts you in Walter Woods territory, and easily, Bergantino's IP series as well.

I've only recently (3yrs. now) upgraded from my vintage Polytone Minibrute-III to an Acoustic Image Clarus Series III. More important than the power increase, was the size/weight aspect. You get spoiled walking onto a gig with a 28lb, 1x15 combo. It's warm and transparent, with more than enough power for my needs; and only 5 lbs in a cigar box size enclosure. It drives a Bergantino 1x12.

With this said, the AI's I think are favored by acoustic bass players using piezo type systems. Jazz guitarists as well. During my research, I got the feeling many electric players liked the Tunderfunk. AI works for me cause I play a piezo equipped horizontal acoustic.

Cheers for the info dude, you actually confirmed a few of the doubts I had about AI myself without even asking much appreciated. I chanced upon a website that exclusively dealt only Alembic basses and AI amps a year or so back, and after visiting the AI website I thought to myself that these amps really didn't seem aimed towards electric bass players at all.
Glockenlang, I have looked at.
I'm currently in negotiations for a used SWR 750x head but still considering other things...
Not quite boutique-y but well within the range look at Phil Jones' higher end stuff.
Jonas Hellborg amp.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat