Hey I'm looking for a guitar and an amp to help me get that 311 tone. Budget for both is 3,500. thanks
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
3,500 what? USD, GBP?
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Definitely a PRS, a custom 24 or standard 24 will do nicely as he has several of both. For amp, I know he uses a complex multi-amp set up, but if it were me I'd be looking at a Mesa, probably something from the Mark series for versatility.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
how much do Diamond amps cost? you could get pretty close with a Recto and an LP to start off with, then add effects as you go...his rig is crazy.

edit: try to get as close to this as possible, haha -

http://www.diamondamplification.com/pdfs/rigs/TimMahoneyGW.pdf
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Last edited by spiff389 at Jul 29, 2010,
Skagasm

Yeah, Tim uses a Phantom and a Spitfire. Those and the Nitrox and Decada give me serious GAS. He has a ton of PRSs too not to mention effects. It would take a while to break down everything he is doing. That article spiff posted is a good summary.

What gear do you have now and which 311 songs are your favorite to play?

There are other amps will do that tone. It is basically an EL34 based Marshall type amp. Where do you live roughly?

oh and,

that's not all of tho
Here are the necessities for the 311 sound. Ive been copying Tim Mahoney's sound for years.

- Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Not an SE, the real deal)

- A high-gain amp
(He used a Mesa/Boogie Triple Rectifier in the 90's, Bogner Uberschall in the 2000's, now he runs with Diamond amps. All of these are pretty high dollar.)

- Boss OC-2 Octave Pedal, or OC-3, doesnt matter. This is where the definitive sound of 311 comes from.

- Envelope Filter Pedal (Tim uses a vintage Mu-Tron) As heard on songs like "Amber" "Champagne" "Beyond the Gray Sky"

Thats about it. Be prepared to spend every last dollar in your budget!
- Paul Reed Smith Custom 24
- Fender USA Strat
- Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
- Orange PPC-212OB Cab
- Marshall JTM600 Head
- Marshall JTM410 Cab
Last edited by annostyle at Jul 29, 2010,
what about his clean tones though like i could tell a recto and uberschall in alot of the recordings but his clean what is that?
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

Quote by AcousticMirror
ska when are you going to buy an amp.

im just trying to see everything before i splurge all this cash out, ive gone through like 5 guitars and 3 amps in a year just cause i cant find what i like so i wanna see everything
roland AC90

I think you'll end up needing 2 amps and you should plan your budget that way.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
yeah im just gonna go with a rittenhouse guitar and a vox ac30h2l for now and add the 311 esque stuff later
roland AC90

^well that is a nice amp but I wouldn't get one for 311.

I'm pretty sure he gets his clean tones from the Diamond Spitfire. Look at that article again with his signal chain.

I'm not aware of him using a Mesa and Bogner for quite some time. Maybe I need to reread the article
Brett Scallions Fuel ( Phantom )
Vivian Campbell Def Leppard/Dio/Whitesnake ( Phantom ) - Also uses a CAA OD100SE+
Jason Krause Kid Rock ( Phantom )
Marlon Young Kid Rock ( Spitfire II )
Clint Lowery Sevendust ( Phantom )
Wayne Swinny Saliva ( Phantom / Spec Op)
Jonathan Montoya Saliva ( Nitrox )
Dave Pino Powerman5000 ( Phantom )
Eric Weaver 12 Stones ( Phantom )
Nathan Connolly Snow Patrol ( Spitfire )
Tim Pierce Recording/Session Artist (Rick Springfield/Bruce Springsteen/Rod Stewart/Goo Goo Dolls/Bon Jovi, etc ( Spec Op )

AWWW ya. Diamond amps. the sound of the 90s. I said a baw with the baw....

nothing to contribute. That's just the first time I saw their artist list. You guys remember that one fuel song.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer