What gauge strings would I need to tune a 7-string down to drop F#? Can I even tune a 7-string down to Drop F#?
grab an 8 string set, remove the top string.

Meshuggah did it on the nothing album: that was all 7s not 8s. Although I think they used F# standard
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
if you haven't already purchased a 7 string then it will help a LOT if you get a 7-string with a baritone scale (something with a 26.5" scale or longer).
Yeah I don't have a 7-string. Any (specific) recommendations?
Strings are all personal preference. What works for one person may or may not work for you.

I have two guitars that are both 24.75" scale length but you can put the same gauge strings on them and the tension is different between the two guitars. You'll just have to try out different gauges and find one that suites you.
Quote by Ginsu
Yeah I don't have a 7-string. Any (specific) recommendations?

depends on your budget.
Give up music and become a bass player instead?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Um. Well actually right now I'm pretty much broke but I'd say less than $1500.

And Cathbard, what does that even mean? In prog metal I'm pretty sure the bass players qualify as musicians.
Quote by Ginsu

And Cathbard, what does that even mean? In prog metal I'm pretty sure the bass players qualify as musicians.

He was saying that the tuning is so low that it sounds like a bass guitar.
Quote by Ginsu

lol $1500... Wtf is your budget when you're NOT broke?
Quote by Cathbard
Give up music and become a bass player instead?

hahah lmao + 1

Quote by AcousticMirror
Baritone guitar would do the trick

+1

Ibanez RGD 2127z .26.5 scale and seven strings
Haha. Yeah it's kind of a long-term goal. I can barely play the guitar. I'm a keyboard player. But my friend/guitarist isn't on UG, and wanted to know. It's not me who's buying the guitar anyways, it's him, seeing as I don't even have the keyboard I'll need.
You could do it with a guitar provided that it has a 27.5" or longer scale. You’ll also need to pay a guitar tech to cut a new nut (save the original in case you want to go back!) because of how fat the strings will be. It would probably be easier to just buy an eight string guitar.