hey guys i'm trying to learn the solo from scream by avenged sevenfold, but i'm struggling getting the fast part (which is completley picked) up to speed. I want to learn it the right way, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to a certain technique to use or exercise to practice to help improve the speed.

Thanks
Rock on or die

Guitarist 5 years, Had purpose in life 5 years

Quote by angusfan16
My name is NOT Anus Fan!
Are you talking about the chromatic thing? I think it's just a case of practise practise practise...

You'll get the usual advice, slow it down, practise, do some kinda 1234 1234 1234 business up n down the guitar... at the end of the day, i think even Syn Gates probably finds it a bitch from time to time, it's just something you gotta practise a lot to be able to do
You gotta earn that speed by building up gradually.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Speed in guitar playing is all about starting slowly and earning it just like hockeyplayer said. It isn't easy but neither is anything else that's worth attaining. Break it up into phrases learning only parts at a time. Speaking of time, that's all you have my friend to practice this solo as long and slowly as necessary to get it accurate before you can build up the speed and agility it takes. Every guitarist knows these fundamental rules of playing. Some solos you can learn in just a few days, others can take weeks at times but keep at it and you'll get it.

Ibanez SGT520VS Sage Series Acoustic
Yamaha FG720S-12 12 String Acoustic
Schecter C-1 Classic
Crate Flexwave FW65 Combo Amp
Quote by skywalker45
Speed in guitar playing is all about starting slowly and earning it just like hockeyplayer said. It isn't easy but neither is anything else that's worth attaining. Break it up into phrases learning only parts at a time. Speaking of time, that's all you have my friend to practice this solo as long and slowly as necessary to get it accurate before you can build up the speed and agility it takes. Every guitarist knows these fundamental rules of playing. Some solos you can learn in just a few days, others can take weeks at times but keep at it and you'll get it.

Agreed, if you try to play it fast right now, you'll end up with sloppy playing like most of youtube players, take your time to play it super slowly
Quote by AhViaMusicom
Agreed, if you try to play it fast right now, you'll end up with sloppy playing like most of youtube players, take your time to play it super slowly

+1 to you as well. A note about the sloppy youtube players and there are tons of them. You can tell speed is ALL they were trying to achieve. Accuracy is much more important then after that comes speed. Play cleanly and then play hastily.

Ibanez SGT520VS Sage Series Acoustic
Yamaha FG720S-12 12 String Acoustic
Schecter C-1 Classic
Crate Flexwave FW65 Combo Amp
I think the others hit the nail on the head. It's all down to patience and not going for the speed right away. If you just take your time playing at whatever speed is comfortable until the piece becomes comfortable and effortless, then you'll allow your muscle memory to learn it correctly. If you are trying to increase the speed from day one, then the muscle memory doesn't get formed as well, because you are always straining. Once that muscle memory is there, you can start increasing the speed because you have a good foundation built up.