im looking for a new amp and found the vox vt series valvetronix amps. i need a combo amp that would be good for small/medium gigs with a 3 person classic rock band. i need a british sounding tube or hybrid amp that has a good sound. would the vt15 be enough or would i need to go higher? the most i would probably be able to afford without waiting a year would be the vt30, but i also need a new guitar. does anyone know anything about the vt15? can i plug it into a cab for bigger gigs?
im also open to other tube or hybrid amps with good sound that are around $250 or less.
the vt30 would be a better choice, if you look used you could find a bugera v22 which would be worth a look at
I have one of the older ad30s and its an alright practice amp. You're probably better off going used and getting a tube combo if you're playing out with it.
Quote by coolstoryangus
I have one of the older ad30s and its an alright practice amp. You're probably better off going used and getting a tube combo if you're playing out with it.

I have the AD30VT.
Actually a great starter amp and has a good british sound.
I'll agree that the Marshal MG series and Line6 ones are not as good.
Although I use my Super-Overdrive to get a good CLEAN distortion cause the cheaper amps sound pants unless cranked right up.

But Yeah, Truth is, It's not really that good for gigging and getting a second hand bigger amp might be better.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
ive looked used. nothing i really like in my price range. would the vt30 be ok if i hooked it up to a pa? is there enough room to switch the 10" speaker with a 12?
Last edited by 7guitarist7 at Jul 29, 2010,
the bugera v22 isn't my sound. i want something that i can get a lot of different sounds out of. i like classic marshall sounds, but also want some cleans. i also play shred. the vt series will give me everything i want and more.
i think ill just get the vt15 and mike it for gigs. by a small gig i meant like a coffee shop or garage size.
Quote by Nameless742

I'll agree that the Marshal MG series and Line6 ones are not as good.

Right now im using a marshall mg10cd. something like the vt15 would be a huge step up from that.
Last edited by 7guitarist7 at Jul 29, 2010,
I have the VT50 and its good. You can do better but it is definatly a step up from the MG.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
ive heard that the older version of the vt15, the ad15vt, sounds a lot better. is that true? i can get which ever one i want, the new one having double the amps, and a lot more channels, or the older version, with less everything but possibly better sound. ill get the one with better sound (which ever one that is in the ug members opinions). i can get the ad15vt sooner. its at the guitar store in my city. the vt15 i can only get at guitar center, which is about a 3 hour drive from my house.
through a lot of research on youtube, i have found that the vt15 sounds better for my style. it has a cleaner sound than the ad15vt. i mostly play classic rock and shred, so i think the vt15 would be a better choice. good things are worth waiting for.
The newer series seems to be better at everything in my opinion. Honestly anything less then the 50 watt isn't going to cut it with a band though. You're kind of setting a ridiculous budget for an amp worth gigging..
Quote by im_bored
The newer series seems to be better at everything in my opinion. Honestly anything less then the 50 watt isn't going to cut it with a band though. You're kind of setting a ridiculous budget for an amp worth gigging..

I see reviews and comments everywhere about using the vt15 for gigs. it is loud enough, and once i start playing bigger gigs i can always mike it.
Quote by 7guitarist7
I see reviews and comments everywhere about using the vt15 for gigs. it is loud enough, and once i start playing bigger gigs i can always mike it.

I used the VT50 this year at a gig and had it about 30W on the Wattage knob, and full master volume and it was loud enough, good luck with 15W though.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
I had an ad30vt and I blew my speaker the first time just trying to get over drums, and even after I replaced it with a louder speaker I couldn't really get over drums comfortably, and not even close with cleans
the ad series isnt as loud. and i saw a video on youtube where someone played at a football stadium using a vt30 and it wasnt even full volume.
Any amp would be mic'd for a football stadium.
And nobody playing a football stadium would use a VT30.
But you can believe whatever you want, have fun playing shows with a vt15
Quote by im_bored

i would go out and blow a couple thousand, or even $500, on an amp, except that i dont have that. some people cant afford marshall stacks, and mesas, or an ac30. and do u think id be using a squire strat if i could afford an expensive amp?
Last edited by 7guitarist7 at Aug 9, 2010,
what if i got a marshall class 5 and an epiphone valve jr cab? if i plug the cab into the headphone jack, i can get practice volume levels with volume all the way up for lead gain or breakup. cab out from output for bigger gigs. small i can use just the amp, boosted at low volume with boss gt-3 to have mid volume levels and good gain sounds.
Why dont you change the name of this thread to Vox vt15 defense thread.
seriously man,15 watts aint gonna be loud enough,i think your best bet would be to go couch diggin,sell some lemonade to the local neighbourhood kids,and scrape up some extra cash for a 30 or even 50,cause then its loud enough for anything you'll be doing,cause your probably not playing wembley or budokan so,thats my opinion
Quote by jonnycrue1985
Why dont you change the name of this thread to Vox vt15 defense thread.
seriously man,15 watts aint gonna be loud enough,i think your best bet would be to go couch diggin,sell some lemonade to the local neighbourhood kids,and scrape up some extra cash for a 30 or even 50,cause then its loud enough for anything you'll be doing,cause your probably not playing wembley or budokan so,thats my opinion

did u read my last post? im not getting a vt15. im looking now into getting a marshall class 5.
You want a variety of sounds... So you don't want a v22... But you are willing to get a claas 5? That makes no sense! You will get much more out of a v22 than a class 5... Don't expect a good gig worthy amp that can play every genre and have enough volume at your tiny budget.

I have the vt15.. And the little eight inch speaker would blow if you turn it up too loud.
Gear:

Ibanez RG350DX w/ Seymour Duncans and an OFR
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 Head
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Quote by Leeav
You want a variety of sounds... So you don't want a v22... But you are willing to get a claas 5? That makes no sense! You will get much more out of a v22 than a class 5... Don't expect a good gig worthy amp that can play every genre and have enough volume at your tiny budget.

I have the vt15.. And the little eight inch speaker would blow if you turn it up too loud.

i wanted a lot of sounds because i thought i would use them. but now that ive listened to the class 5, that will give me everything i want with one setting. if i try it and like it, ill buy it unless i find out something i dont like about it. and i dont want a v22 because i dont like the sound. its not that it didnt have a bunch of amp models and crazy effects. plus, i really didnt know exactly what i wanted for an amp, just that i wanted a british sound like marshall or vox. thats why i liked the valvetronix. it would have at least helped me to find my sound. if i was just doing that, i would try it at a guitar store so i didnt have to go through the whole store plugging into different amps, waiting for the tubes to warm, and messing with the controls. but i know what i want now, so theres no reason to even try it. and i realized that the vt15 wouldnt be able to do gigs. i was gonna mic it but i know now i should just get an all tube amp (no modeling amps) with the sound i like. the only one i could afford that i like the sound of is the class 5.
Quote by fly135
Try a Fender Super Champ XD.

i dont like those. theyre more for cleans. the od doesnt sound that great imo.