Hello there Im new to the UG forums, normally post on Stonerrock.com but its a bit same-y all the time. Anyway, Im in a band and all that jazz but was wondering if anyone here has had any experiance with things like smoke machines and video/image projectors before. Im looking into getting some and was wondering which are the best to get for small bars/clubs etc. Also Im on a budget (like all the time) so if anyone knows which direction I need to head in then could you please just point the way.

Thanks in advance

Rooi!!!
Epi SG G400 faded red
Cheap smashed up Les Paul heald together with tape and covered in my own blood.
Morley Power Wah
EHX Small Stone
Boss BF-2 Flanger
Boss DS1 distortion
EHX Big Muff (1978 op amp)
Korg Pitchblack tuner
Maybe let the music do the talking?
When I'm at a show at a local venue, I'm there for the music. Not a theatrical display.
Quote by Shyne
When I'm at a show at a local venue, I'm there for the music. Not a theatrical display.

+1

Small bars and clubs aren't really the whole "smoke and mirrors theatrics" type of venues.
Quote by Shyne

...then what's the point of going to a show? Why not just listen to the cd at home?

Nah, when you perform live, you're delivering a visual performance, not just the music.
e--------5------5------5------5---
B------5------5------5------5-----
G---7b----7b----7b----7b-------
D-----------------------------------
A-----------------------------------
E-----------------------------------

edit: Shit. Didn't even read the OP, I thought you meant over-used lick type things...

On topic: I'd have to agree, focus on the music if you're only playing small venues.
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
Last edited by JacobLampman at Jul 29, 2010,
Don't get any special effects for small clubs and stuff, you'll just look like you're trying way too hard. Just play and look like you're enjoying yourself.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by JacobLampman
e--------5------5------5------5---
B------5------5------5------5-----
G---7b----7b----7b----7b-------
D-----------------------------------
A-----------------------------------
E-----------------------------------

edit: Shit. Didn't even read the OP, I thought you meant over-used lick type things...

On topic: I'd have to agree, focus on the music if you're only playing small venues.

Cool riff!

Anyway, unless you play at big as stadiums that Muse plays at and other big artist, let the smoke machine smoke something else.
Quote by Holy Katana
Your last job only paid you $7.00 AUD an hour? That's like $6.05 in the US. What the hell is the minimum wage over there?

Quote by titsmcgee852
$0 for volunteer work

ollollolollol

^
Quote by CoreysMonster
...then what's the point of going to a show? Why not just listen to the cd at home?

Nah, when you perform live, you're delivering a visual performance, not just the music.

Right, but that doesn't mean that stuff like lasers, smoke, and pyro is necessary for a great live performance, or even any visual "enhancement". The performance should definitely be visual, but the best acts I've seen live have done so by moving around, interacting, being extremely energetic (in a good way of course) and just having great stage presence. When you immediately jump to buying smoke machines and lasers, you miss out on that.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by CoreysMonster

I go to a show to see people play music live. 99% of bands play the songs slightly different to CD's and you can't recreate the atmosphere at home.

I imagine TS is probably in a local band who havn't got a huge following and therefore aren't going to have hundreds of people singing their music back to them.

A smoke machine/digital backdrop would detract from the music they're getting people to watch and enjoy.

It's more likely that they'll be playing through a mediocre PA system with middle aged people having conversations while playing.

Also a lot of smaller venues have their own lighting desk to give some visual pleasure.

I personally think TS should just stick to spending money on gear to make stuff sound better than forking out on something that will detract from their music.
Quote by guitarsftw
Right, but that doesn't mean that stuff like lasers, smoke, and pyro is necessary for a great live performance, or even any visual "enhancement". The performance should definitely be visual, but the best acts I've seen live have done so by moving around, interacting, being extremely energetic (in a good way of course) and just having great stage presence. When you immediately jump to buying smoke machines and lasers, you miss out on that.

Tool would like to have a word with you.
Sail upon the open skies
whoops, I didn't see that it was for small venues and bars and shit

still, I don't see anything wrong with offering some visual eye candy to a show.
In fact, I wish more bands cared about their live show instead of just "being about the music". Because the visuals add to the music, and always just seeing 4 dudes just playing their songs is very, very boring.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jul 29, 2010,
Quote by angusfan16

I've never seen Tool live (or even seen a live Tool video) so I'm not quite sure what type of word they'd like to have with me.
Quote by AA00P
depends on the type of music. When i go to see clutch, i dont expect any theatrics and thats part of the atmosphere that goes with the music. But when i go to see Mastodon, the lights and such just add to the music. I've seen many small local bands at small venues, and the light and such do usually make a band seem more profesional. If i wanted to see 5 guys in jeans and tshirts just standing around playing music, id just call 4 friends over.

I see too many local bands that act like they're still in their garage. Stage prescense does involve a lot more than just light and such
We all like to congregate at boundaries. Where land meets water. Where earth meets air. Where body meets mind. Where space meets time. We like to be on one side, and look at the other.

Oh my god dude your right!
Quote by guitarsftw
I've never seen Tool live (or even seen a live Tool video) so I'm not quite sure what type of word they'd like to have with me.

most likely a "we have mindblowing visuals during our shows that blow everyone's mind who see it, they really support the music and make the shows unique and special" word.
Quote by guitarsftw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1904iZ9OAuk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS83kkqrBZs&feature=related

nothing but visuals. The band members barely move around at all

edit: the second link has better visuals
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at Jul 29, 2010,
Quote by guitarsftw
Hm, well, I enjoy their music but based on that video, I'd never pay to see them live.

so you base your opinion of a live show of one of the most successful modern rock bands by a youtube video taken with a shaky cellphone?

Protip: See tool live. If you like the music, you'll like the performance.
Quote by CoreysMonster
so you base your opinion of a live show of one of the most successful modern rock bands by a youtube video taken with a shaky cellphone?

Protip: See tool live. If you like the music, you'll like the performance.

Well, I don't have much else to base my opinion off of. It's just not my type of show. I'm not hating on it, but I have my preferences and Tool's performance does not seem to match them.
Quote by AA00P
Quote by guitarsftw
Well, I don't have much else to base my opinion off of. It's just not my type of show. I'm not hating on it, but I have my preferences and Tool's performance does not seem to match them.

fair enough

I just really like their shows.
Quote by CoreysMonster
fair enough

I just really like their shows.

Well, for comparison's sake, my favorite live performer is Bruce Springsteen, and he takes a very different approach.
Quote by AA00P
The music we do is fine, been playing shows with lots of energy and alot of good feedback from the crowd. We are a small trio and the music has as an "epic" approach, its a bit tongue in cheek so we are thinking of throwing in some dumb rock cliches, and to do them in small venues I think would be pretty fun and go with what we do. Alot of the bands we share bills with are great bands, amazing musicians (much better than us) but they stand there ground run through the songs like perfect everytime, look up and say "CHeers you guys are great". We, however, kinda started goofing around, throwing guitars around, lying on my back playing solos with my teeth, using a pint glass as a slide etc etc, really stuiped suff but it gets people going and having fun. So i just think having some dumb stage gimmicks fits right in there.
Epi SG G400 faded red
Morley Power Wah
EHX Small Stone
Boss BF-2 Flanger
Boss DS1 distortion
Korg Pitchblack tuner
Quote by Shyne

calm down, even with the smoke and lights you can still hear the music! and then if your eyes happen to be open, you can see some cool shit too!
Quote by angusfan16

You'll notice that Tool have an international following. As TS says he's on a constant budget, I doubt he has that luxury.
Quote by StoneMagnet
The music we do is fine, been playing shows with lots of energy and alot of good feedback from the crowd. We are a small trio and the music has as an "epic" approach, its a bit tongue in cheek so we are thinking of throwing in some dumb rock cliches, and to do them in small venues I think would be pretty fun and go with what we do. Alot of the bands we share bills with are great bands, amazing musicians (much better than us) but they stand there ground run through the songs like perfect everytime, look up and say "CHeers you guys are great". We, however, kinda started goofing around, throwing guitars around, lying on my back playing solos with my teeth, using a pint glass as a slide etc etc, really stuiped suff but it gets people going and having fun. So i just think having some dumb stage gimmicks fits right in there.

Yeah, but I'm not sure that visuals would really suit that "stage gimmick" element enough to help any more than improving your gear would. At least try some cheaper ideas on for size before springing for the equipment, I think. You might be hitting a perfect balance; you don't want to find out that any more is overdoing it after dropping the cash on it.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

so you're going all Pink Floyd Soundsystem and Plastic Inevitable are you????
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
It seems this has caused alot of debate, smoke machines are officially the great cliche. I think i didnt explain properly though, the smoke machines and all that, are not so much stage props but a stuiped artsy statment. THat is pretty much what this band is. Its post modern ironic. Judging by the majority of the comments, it would work. We are not professional musicians, we play some cool rock so people can dance, drink and try get laid. Someone posted that he assumed we are a small local band, he is right to a point however we are based in central london, playing venues in Camden, Shoreditch, Kings Cross and Tottenham Court Road, its not essex or texas. The scene here is all electro or indie dudes with awesome hair and tight jeans all being lined up for T4 on the beach or whatever. We come across as a bit of fresh air i think and we want to keep it that way. Do what no one else will do. Maybe state-side is different, i dont know.
Epi SG G400 faded red
Morley Power Wah
EHX Small Stone
Boss BF-2 Flanger
Boss DS1 distortion
Korg Pitchblack tuner