How do people make YouTube videos with guitar. Do you play directly into the camera? Or is there some kind of software? I would think the quality would be worse if you played directly into the camera.

Someone help me? I'm willing to spend a lot of money so give me some high end kind of stuff.
Quote by Guitar12755
How do people make YouTube videos with guitar. Do you play directly into the camera? Or is there some kind of software? I would think the quality would be worse if you played directly into the camera.

Someone help me? I'm willing to spend a lot of money so give me some high end kind of stuff.

for youtube videos??? seriously???

it's just a case of playing with your amp far enough away so it doesn't give feedback. and probably a decent mic that you can get for about $100/£85
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
If you're looking for GOOD quality, then you should know that they record audio and video separately.
just get a 1/4in to mini adapter and plug your amp into the computer to that the music comes out your computer speakers
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR
Fender Stratocaster Custom
Epiphone Les Paul Classic (w/ EMG-81)
Vox Valvetronix AD50VT
For Audio recording:

Fruity Loops Studio 9 with Guitar Rig 4 Pro as a VSTplugin and a good quality USB- or FireWire -soundcard

For video recording:

HD -digital videocamera

For syncing the video and audio:

Sony Vegas or Pinnacle Studio ( or Windows Movie Maker )

Extreme quality, but the price is extreme, too....

My recording hardware and software:
-ESP LTD Alexi-200 ( with FRO, Schaller tuners and EMG 81 )
-Native Instruments Guitar rig Session I/O and Guitar Rig 4 Pro
-Fruity Loops studio XXL 9
-Sony Vegas Platinum 9.0
-Microsoft Lifecam Cinema ( Yeah, I don't care too much about the video quality... : D )

I haven't uploaded any videos to Youtube yet, though.
Last edited by tDpp at Jul 29, 2010,
It doesn't seem like you knew that at all by your response here...
Quote by Guitar12755
"is that the best way to do it? or is there some software that plugs straight into your computer or something?"

I don't know where you're getting "hostility" from his post either. Sounds like he was just trying to help you out, which was basically the most useful advice anyone's given you so far.

What he's saying is audio and video are 2 very different arts. People on this forum have been trying to learn how to record themselves "well" for a long time. Some have been at it for months to years and are still unhappy with their results.

It's a subject that spans many many pages/threads and takes years sometimes for some to master. Most DAW's have an option to add a "video" track to your project so I guess this is what you would want to do, but it's something I know nothing about. I myself have been studying the art of recording just audio for months now and I'm still being torn apart on recording/mixing forums.

FYI, you're asking a question that would take weeks to answer with any kind of detail. There are many threads in this forum relating to what you want to do. Search around in this sub-forum a little before posting such a vague question maybe.

If you're trying to make "professional" looking videos of "professional" sounding audio, then you have a very long way to go and alot of studying to do, not to mention ALOT of money to spend. I'd start by learning how to make proper audio first, then adding video I guess, because audio should be the most important if it's music you're trying to showcase.

No hostlity intended.

@tDpp
Wow, it's the first time I've EVER heard anyone suggest Fruity Loops as a DAW on this forum. I'd advice Cubase, Reaper or even Pro Tools before FL but to each his own I guess.
Last edited by JudgeDrey at Jul 29, 2010,
Quote by JudgeDrey

@tDpp
Wow, it's the first time I've EVER heard anyone suggest Fruity Loops as a DAW on this forum. I'd advice Cubase, Reaper or even Pro Tools before FL but to each his own I guess.

Well, I use FL for lots of other music-related stuff on my computer, not only for recording audio. Cubase would be better for just recording guitar but since I have FL, I recommend it
Last edited by tDpp at Jul 29, 2010,
If you knew then why did you ask whether they record directly into the camera.

Anyway, recording software ONLY records. So it doesn't really affect the sound. What affects the sound is the way you connected your guitar, mixing, effects and various other things. Software is the LEAST of your problems when trying to get good sound. And don't expect to get good quality on a shitty sound card either= laptop or anything like that.
Quote by tDpp
Well, I use FL for lots of other music-related stuff on my computer, not only for recording audio. Cubase would be better for just recording guitar but since I have FL, I recommend it

Hey, I've used FL alot, and I just LOVE it, still. It is an AWESOME DAW for house music and such. I find it's really good for writing midi also and probably LOTS of other stuff I now nothing about. I know it has ALOT of cool VSTs included also. I'd never knock it, unless someone just or mostly wants to record audio. Then I'd go with the other one's.

As a matter of a fact, I kinda miss working with FL...

Cheers!
You could just plug your guitar into your computer with an interface then use something like Revalver 3 with Cubase while recording the video.

Then you mute the video in and sync them up within Cubase and export it as an avi or whatever Youtube accepts.