Ok, so I am wanting more from my RG. I have two questions regarding tuning, strings and pickups.

A) I am wanting to tune down to drop G tuning, for some super low riffing. I have this on my Dean Ml -79 with a D'Addario set of 14-19-32-44-56-74, and it's prefect. I was wondering, since the RG has a floating floyd/edge pro bridge, would I have problems doing this? The lowest I had it was drop B.

B) I was also thinking of a new bridge pickup, since the V8 pickup in the bridge is awful. How would a Seymour Duncan Invader work out?

Thanks
i think it would work fine both of them
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Invaders are rubbish, the v8s probably a better pickup and you should set up a guitar with a floating tremolo for one tuning only or the balance will go off just use your dean for that stuff.
I really dont think that guitar can handle those strings with the trem and all, they´re not designed fot that as for pick ups well thats personal preference whether you like them or not.
Well,Invader sure can do heavy stuff,but I dunno man. What do you do with drop G? I wouldn't have use for anything than uhh... C standard,drop C, D standard and Eb. And I think that slightly smaller gauge could do drop B,from what I've heard of,12's can do it well,but 13's are better for it.. I haven't tried myself.
Well,if you want good harmonics and a passive pup,you could check Dimarzio's D Activators..
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by coolstoryangus
Invaders are rubbish, the v8s probably a better pickup and you should set up a guitar with a floating tremolo for one tuning only or the balance will go off just use your dean for that stuff.

I Meant that from now on I was going to use it in drop G, not drop B anymore. Any suggestions for other pickups?
Just make sure you set up the bridge system for that low tuning. As far as pickups i dont like the invader except for like punk what kind of soundyou going for
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Dimarzio D-activators
Get thick strings and maybe an extra spring for your trem, after a setup it should work perfectly.
"Line 6: Spider IV 75"

dont bother buying new pups,they wont do a thing...well,IMO V8 pups are good,decent....A little bit muddy but not awful

I dont see why It cant handle drop tuning,inflames plays with gibson LP's and they have a scale length of 24.75...this has 25.5...
hmm, outta interest, does anyone have a link toa set of .14's in an online store? i had a look and i cant see much; i prefer fatter strings.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
dude, buy EMG HZ's BEST pup's I"ve ever tried. and they sound freaking br00tal through spider IV I used to have. I HIGHLY rec them.

EDIT: a Dimebucker might be good too.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Last edited by Bostonrocks at Jul 29, 2010,
You'll need a custom set and a few more strings for ur trem. I can't imagine that tuning or string set feeling or sounding good though. Ur scale length is way to short
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Bostonrocks
dude, buy EMG HZ's BEST pup's I"ve ever tried. and they sound freaking br00tal through spider IV I used to have. I HIGHLY rec them.

no no no no no you got it all wrongZZZZ,the DIMebucker is the best pups in the worldZZZ
Quote by archenemyfan
no no no no no you got it all wrongZZZZ,the DIMebucker is the best pups in the worldZZZ

what are you smoking? Zakk Wylde uses EMG HZ's and he is WAY better than Dimebag. and I don't really like the dimebucker, I'm just recing it cause I think it might be good for him

Stop trolling dude.
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
what are you smoking? Zakk Wylde uses EMG HZ's and he is WAY better than Dimebag. and I don't really like the dimebucker, I'm just recing it cause I think it might be good for him

Stop trolling dude.

I am not trollin man...its teh truth...dimebag was way better than zakk wylde......zakk wylde used epiphones which suck compared to DEAN

you stop trollin
Quote by archenemyfan
I am not trollin man...its teh truth...dimebag was way better than zakk wylde......zakk wylde used epiphones which suck compared to DEAN

you stop trollin

whatever. don't be a douche' I"m just trying to help. and dimebag had bad tone. that's pretty much the general consensus here. dimbag was an OK player. but whatever. Zakk plays a way cooler looking guitar too. deans look dumb
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
wow youre like children, it okay; epiphone and dean are both shite.

problem solved. *suggests brands like les paul, agile and PRS etcetera.*

and now let the people send me hateful messages in the thread begin. besides, those dean headstocks look retarded. that being said thier basses and resonator guitars are very good value for cash.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Last edited by Banjocal at Jul 29, 2010,
Quote by Banjocal
wow youre like children, it okay; epiphone and dean are both shite.

problem solved. *suggests brands like les paul, agile and PRS etcetera.*

and now let the people send me hateful messages in the thread begin. besides, those dean headstocks look retarded. that being said thier basses and resonator guitars are very good value for cash.

...What?
They're obviously trolling. And Les Paul isn't a brand.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
They're obviously trolling. And Les Paul isn't a brand.

gibson then whatever; i like them. im used to referring to gibsons instantly as les pauls. bad habit, sorry :P:
Quote by EndTheRapture51
For tuning that low, I really wouldn't use anything other than active pickups. I don't think most passive pickups are designed to correctly pickup tunings that are that low.

In any case, the point is moot, because you're using a pointless shit tuning through a completely shit amp.

The V8 isn't awful. Your amp is just making it seem that way.

Also, if you really feel the need to go that low, invest in a baritone. Then you won't need batshit big strings.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X