Hey I have a some questions on the blues.

In songs like Pride and Joy, or Rude Mood (both SRV) is that a 12 bar blues? If so, then how is it different to the 12 bar blues in you shook me by Zeppelin/whoever originally wrote it?I'm confused on how they are different, and stil ltwelve bar blues.
Also, whats the theory behind it? Do both of these blues "things" use all the notes from the blues/pentatonic scale? And do all blues musicians use the pentatonic maiinly, or or there any blues artists that go out of the norm, and venture into other scales? And I bought a slide today, could you give me some good artists to try and learn from?
Thank you
12 bar blues is
I-I-I-I
IV-IV-I-I
V-IV-I-I

Generally speaking in its simplest form.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
Quote by hockeyplayer168
12 bar blues is
I-I-I-I
IV-IV-I-I
V-IV-I-I

Generally speaking in its simplest form.

This.
Blues songs, albeit being pretty similar, can ironically be altered a lot. There are a lot of different variations, but this is the main idea for a 12 bar. Minor pentatonic is a favourite for us blues artists, but there are a ton of other scale that see regular usage, such as the major scale, the mixolydian mode, the dorian mode, etc. It all depends on what kind of flavour you want to achieve.

Also, if you want to just have fun and mess around with the slide, try tuning to and open tuning (such as open E) and learn some Duane Allman or Derek Trucks licks. Slide guitar can be tricky, it really requires you to just close your eyes and get a feel of where the notes are. Good luck!
Gotcha, I believe that is what you shook me is. What about things like rude mood and pride and joy?
The note sequence is E G B C# A
There is lots of other things you can do with blues other than the minor pentatonic blues scale. Just listen to some jazz tunes that are 12 bar blues to get some jazzy ideas to add.

Here's a few examples. I'd recommend transcribing some of these solos as it will give you lots of new ideas, aswell as improve your ear, and make you overall a better musician.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1GrP6thz-k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_LUTclfYDE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPSJFdaTPcQ
"I wanna see movies of my dreams"
Quote by Lollage123
Hey I have a some questions on the blues.

In songs like Pride and Joy, or Rude Mood (both SRV) is that a 12 bar blues? If so, then how is it different to the 12 bar blues in you shook me by Zeppelin/whoever originally wrote it?I'm confused on how they are different, and stil ltwelve bar blues.
Also, whats the theory behind it? Do both of these blues "things" use all the notes from the blues/pentatonic scale? And do all blues musicians use the pentatonic maiinly, or or there any blues artists that go out of the norm, and venture into other scales? And I bought a slide today, could you give me some good artists to try and learn from?
Thank you

they are just all at different tempos. "12 bar blues" just refers to the chord progression layout.
Rude mood is
I-I-I-I-IV-IV-I-I-V-V-I-V

and Pride and Joy is
I-I-I-I-IV-IV-I-I-V-IV-I-V

As you can see, it sticks to the basic twelve bar idea, with a little variation. When a musician ends the progression with the V chord its called a turnaround, which is a comfortable way to return to the root for the ear.
It's such an effective structure that it has been used countless times in many different ways. There are tons of ways to play over the progression, including major or minor pentatonic. Also, you can just keep stacking chord embellishments all over those chords and the song will keep chugging along, it's really a beast of a progression.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
There are quite a few variations on the twelve bar blues.

Basic:

I I I I
IV IV I I
V IV I I

Basic with turnaround:

I I I I
IV IV I I
V IV I V

Quick to four variation:

I IV I I
IV IV I I
V IV I V/I

You can keep rocking on the I chord until the V

I I I I
I I I I
V IV I V/I

Play around with it, and see what sounds good to you.
"Swords, nature's hell sticks."- Trip Fisk