Hey guys currently I have a fixed bridge guitar equipped with a graphite nut, so far it seems solid and never have problems with tuning or string binding. My friend was talking about having a bone nut instead of a graphite because they "give better sustain" and sound better. I don't buy this simply because how does the nut material (be it bone or graphite in this case) affect the tone if you are not playing any open strings? Not sure if this makes any sense, but what do you guys think? Is it worth the hassle of installing a bone nut over a graphite one?
Yepp. If youre not playing a lots of open strings then a graphite nut is clearly the better choice.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Both are fine. Yes, it will only have a tonal effect when playing open strings. Even then 99.999% of the world wouldn't be able to notice. Can you tell a differece in tone between an open string and one being fretted? What matters is that it is properly cut.
Quote by webwarmiller
Both are fine. Yes, it will only have a tonal effect when playing open strings. Even then 99.999% of the world wouldn't be able to notice. Can you tell a differece in tone between an open string and one being fretted? What matters is that it is properly cut.

QFT.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by webwarmiller

+1, If the slots are the same size of the string or are smaller then you can be guaranteed the strings will bind. Well, Maybe not on a graphite nut but if the slots are wide enough on a bone nut there's no need for a graphite nut. IMO Bone nuts are better than graphite nuts when made right (Or even when they're not made right, Read on...) I tried making a graphite nut once, I didn't like how it made my guitar sound. My guitar had a very noticeable difference in tone after I put the graphite nut in it, It sounded similar to using mellow sounding strings. I'd rather use a plastic nut than a graphite nut based on this experience.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Bones from Satan himself make the best nuts. (There MUST be a double entendre in there somewhere...)