I'm working on using Reaper and drum samples to make computerized drums, so my band will at least be able to put out some decent demos (we are broke, and have next to nothing in the way of recording equipment, so we're not looking for professional quality quite yet).

Could you guys check out the MP3 on my profile, and tell me if there's anything I really need to work on with my current samples? I still don't have decent samples for toms, but I think I'm getting relatively close with the samples included in the demo.
get a few different samples for each piece of the kit to make it sound more realistic. and I would say maybe a sharper snare sound.
I'm pretty new at this, but I'm trying my best to do so. Most of the pieces on there are combination of two different samples. I don't particularly like the samples I have to work with either, so if anyone has any suggestions as to other ones I could try, it'd be much appreciated.

Now that I listen, I do see what you mean about the snare; I doubt it will cut through a full band mix the way it is. Thanks for the heads-up.
I agree with swapping out for a sharper sounding snare drum sample. Als turn it up a little more as the current level seems to be around the same as the kick drum.

See DGIM Final Project on my profile for a sample drum mix. I'm still learning it all myself as I usually use Superior Drummer for most of my songs made in the studio but you get an idea of the levels the individual drums should be at. The only thing I would change in that piece would have been to mic the kick different and give it more "snap" to pop it into the mix a little more. The snare drum could also have had a bit more snap too for this song.
Alright; I turned up the sharper of the two snare samples that were used together, so that should help with both problems.

Could somebody explain what the whole "wet/dry" thing means for reverb?
Superior Drummer kicks ass, i'd be lost without that program.

But yea, the snare sounds rubbery.

edit, Wet/Dry means the amount of effect vs the amount of dry input signal you want to use. So 80% wet would mean 80% of the effect and 20% of the dry and vice versa. Think of it as a volume control for the effect.
Last edited by maggot9779 at Jul 29, 2010,
Unless SD is a free program, it's currently beyond my reach. :/

I made some slight changes, and uploaded it as Drum Sample 2; it's the same beats, so it's easy to compare. All I did was add a small amount of reverb, and worked on the snare a bit.
Last edited by herby190 at Jul 29, 2010,
Afraid so, it's well worth the money though.

And the new ones is alot better. The snare still sounds a little rubbery to me though so maybe you could boost the highs a little and take off some low end.
I'm experimenting with having a second sample of the sharper of the two snare sounds, and offsetting it to be an octave higher, and just having it played lightly; maybe it will help, maybe it will sound like crap.... however, I think I've got to go Drivers Ed pretty quick, so maybe it's an experiment for a later time.
the snare sounds a bit better on that second one. You should try to get more samples to work with though as when you do rolls and multi-hits on one pad it sounds too computer generated.

Ideally you'll want to upgrade to a program like Superior Drummer but that costs quite a bit. The reason that one sounds so darn good though is because they sample one cymbal or drum many many times so it never sounds the same each time you hit it.

Using more than one sampling program is a good starting point for some lower budget projects but in the end the better samples are going to cost you money.