I was wondering...since the CD is pretty much dead right now, what are some smart incentives that bands/musicians have been using in order to get people to buy the CD instead of just downloading it?

I know Jack White had been into that kind of thing, but who else is doing it? Personally, I feel that a digital download will never beat having the physical album itself.

So, what are some incentives that bands/musicians (and you) use to get fans to purchase the actual album/EP/single, etc.?
like bundle packages wth t shirt or something else youde want for cheaper than the two separate?
or have it on a usb with photos and videos you cant get anywhere else?
if the fans want it they'll buy trust me
The long answer: I see a lot of bands nowadays offering good deals on CDs packaged with T-Shirts, art booklets, autographed letters or holograph posters or stuff like that. For a recent example, I think Brandon Boyd (singer of Incubus) did this for his new solo album.

Also, the band Mae (power-pop/prog/alternative stuff, if you've never heard of them) are almost finishing releasing a three CD stretch called (M)orning, (A)fternoon, and (E)vening. With each CD comes a behind the scenes DVD into the concept, live footage, and band interviews.

That's usually what I see happening, and sometimes they have "store exclusive" things. Some bands release their CD only at Wal-Mart or Target to reach a certain demographic...others package special versions of their CDs only available at, let's say, Best Buy.

The short anwer: Usually DVDs, sometimes T-Shirts and artwort, etc.
Where is Dirk Lance?
Haha! I download everything as illegally as driving an oversized truck on the wrong side of the road that is carrying a bunch of body's I dug up and raped later.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
yup, tee shirts. 15-20 bucks for the shirt+cd.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
You sir, have good thinking.

my first problem with downloads is that MP3/4's have shit quality. they cut off all the bass and treble to create a more "convienient" file size, and then people play the craply formatted music through a sh*tty nokia speaker.

a musician i once met said "the modern generation dosent know what music sounds like; bass hasnt existed for years." and he's right! the bass you hear in records nowadays is rubbish. then again im something of an audiophile or w/e they call it.

the solid product will always be better imo. in quality and just being able to hold the product.

as for marketing, well, often they use cool artwork designs, 3d or shiny graphics, weird shaped cd's, and bonus tracks not avaliable anywhere else.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal
a musician i once met said "the modern generation dosent know what music sounds like; bass hasnt existed for years." and he's right! the bass you hear in records nowadays is rubbish. then again im something of an audiophile or w/e they call it.

the solid product will always be better imo. in quality and just being able to hold the product.

as for marketing, well, often they use cool artwork designs, 3d or shiny graphics, weird shaped cd's, and bonus tracks not avaliable anywhere else.

Well, I used to buy CDs and I loved building my collection. But I lost my job and have to pinch the pennies something awful these days, therefore no CDs. Whatever inscentives artists offer these days are not enough, cus I'm that poor, and so are many other people.

And as for the bass comment, it is alive and well. My friends are really into house and other electronic subgenres, and there is some stuff out there that will make you sh*t your pants 10 times over if its played on the right system. My opinion is that the modern generation is very much into bass when they can get it, in a nightclub or whatever.
Quote by Icarus Lives
Well, I used to buy CDs and I loved building my collection. But I lost my job and have to pinch the pennies something awful these days, therefore no CDs. Whatever inscentives artists offer these days are not enough, cus I'm that poor, and so are many other people.

And as for the bass comment, it is alive and well. My friends are really into house and other electronic subgenres, and there is some stuff out there that will make you sh*t your pants 10 times over if its played on the right system. My opinion is that the modern generation is very much into bass when they can get it, in a nightclub or whatever.

meh, i mean because of lower quality formats, and the shit studios do with the amps, bass just dosent sound the same compared to older recordings. i do get where youre coming from though.

yeah if you dont have the money, thats fair enough, but in terms of quality, MP3 and 4 just dosent cut it. i cant really afford it either, but shopping online is slightly cheaper.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by DirkLance
The long answer: I see a lot of bands nowadays offering good deals on CDs packaged with T-Shirts, art booklets, autographed letters or holograph posters or stuff like that. For a recent example, I think Brandon Boyd (singer of Incubus) did this for his new solo album.

Also, the band Mae (power-pop/prog/alternative stuff, if you've never heard of them) are almost finishing releasing a three CD stretch called (M)orning, (A)fternoon, and (E)vening. With each CD comes a behind the scenes DVD into the concept, live footage, and band interviews.

That's usually what I see happening, and sometimes they have "store exclusive" things. Some bands release their CD only at Wal-Mart or Target to reach a certain demographic...others package special versions of their CDs only available at, let's say, Best Buy.

The short anwer: Usually DVDs, sometimes T-Shirts and artwort, etc.

Lots of great options you've listed here
Quote by Banjocal
meh, i mean because of lower quality formats, and the shit studios do with the amps, bass just dosent sound the same compared to older recordings. i do get where youre coming from though.

yeah if you dont have the money, thats fair enough, but in terms of quality, MP3 and 4 just dosent cut it. i cant really afford it either, but shopping online is slightly cheaper.

How old we talking here because I know people who get all sentimental about vinyls from like 60-70's but when I listen to them there not brilliant they distort and pops annoy the shit outta me and I can't hear any significant bass quality but maybe its a matter of opinion.

Chickenfoot made a heat sensitive CD case which was kinda cool and I love buy records that look nice.
SMILE!
My band released our music for free. We just uploaded it to a free file share site and put a link up on our myspace.
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
How old we talking here because I know people who get all sentimental about vinyls from like 60-70's but when I listen to them there not brilliant they distort and pops annoy the shit outta me and I can't hear any significant bass quality but maybe its a matter of opinion.

Chickenfoot made a heat sensitive CD case which was kinda cool and I love buy records that look nice.

meh, all music is based on opinion.

the heat thing: NIN did that with one of thier albums, but the price tag was increased significantly because of it.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck

Yea, but I imagine nothing sounds like a fresh pressed vinyl, on a high end turntable, playing through a high-end system.

Pure, uncompressed analog simply sounds better. Vinyl doesn't always age the best though, changing climate and accidental abuse can really effect the good sound.
"Swords, nature's hell sticks."- Trip Fisk
Quote by mtforever

Pure, uncompressed analog simply sounds better. Vinyl doesn't always age the best though, changing climate and accidental abuse can really effect the good sound.

listen to any eagles song... and you will be like what the **** how dose it sound that rich and full?!
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by the_white_bunny
listen to any eagles song... and you will be like what the **** how dose it sound that rich and full?!

I ink you're agreeing with me. But I'm not really sure.
"Swords, nature's hell sticks."- Trip Fisk
Quote by mtforever
I ink you're agreeing with me. But I'm not really sure.

no i am, i took a listen to some eagles albums the other day after being in a metal band for almost 3 years, and i forgot how great they sound, its so rich and full sounding and yet it sounds like it was recorded yesterday.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E