Page 1 of 4
First off, anyone who is planning on saying 'Real bassists don't use picks' or some crap like that, don't bother posting.

I play with all the different techniques, but my favourite is with a pick, and so could you guys tell me of any bands with good bassists who use a pick? I used the search bar but all that came up was famous or popular bassists, but I want to know talented ones, not popular ones.

Any genre is fine, I'm just looking for inspiration and ideas to incorporate into my own playing.

Bands I already know I already know of (regardless of talent):
Metallica (Jason)
Tool
Rancid
Motorhead
BFMV
Blink 182
Motley Crue
Dillinger Escape Plan
Jane's Addiction
AFI
Judas Priest
Green Day
Lamb of God
Dragonforce

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Tetsu from L´Arc~en~Ciel, very impressive and innovative work! you should check him out how he plays countermelodies underneath the chords!
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
Dan Haigh from Fightstar is pretty damn good.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Chris Squire from Yes and the Rise Against bassist. Two completely different styles haha but both make great basslines.
Quote by fleajr_1412
Fightstar

Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Eric Judy from Modest Mouse uses one a lot.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
I'm pretty sure that Shavo from SOAD used a pick on a good deal of their music.

Also - saying that 'real bassists don't use a pick' is ignorant. A truly skilled bassist will use many different techniques and styles to get the desired sound to fit where it needs to.

Saying you should only using fingers to play bass is like saying you should only make right turns to drive - you can do it, but it doesn't mean it's a good idea.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Burgery

Everyone has their own opinions, respect them.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Robert Levon Been from BRMC (Black Rebel Motorcycle Club) uses a pick all the time, he's a pretty kickass bassist. Look up "spread your love" "rise or fall" "stop" "in like the rose" and "whatever happened to my rock n roll" for some examples.
Quote by strat0blaster
Also - saying that 'real bassists don't use a pick' is ignorant. A truly skilled bassist will use many different techniques and styles to get the desired sound to fit where it needs to.

Saying you should only using fingers to play bass is like saying you should only make right turns to drive - you can do it, but it doesn't mean it's a good idea.

+1
For example, John Entwistle used a pick on "My Generation" to get that punchy sound & make the bass solo stand out.

Not exactly a list of virtuosos, but some of my favorites:
Pete Hook of Joy Division/New Order
Andy Rourke of The Smiths
Mike Mills of R.E.M.
Paul Simonon of The Clash
Klaus Flouride of Dead Kennedys
Dave Allan of Gang of Four
Joe Lally of Fugazi
Graham Lewis of Wire
Clint Conely of Mission of Burma

I can play just as well with my fingers, but I've always preferred playing with a pick. Basically 'cuz all my favorite bassists do. Haters gonna hate.
Thanks for the suggestions so far guys, I've got a whole lot to listen to, but as they say, the more the merrier. God that sounds cheesy.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
although he's already been mentioned, Dave Ellefson is one of the best. James Lomenzo used pickstyle for a lot of stuff in Megadeth. Also, Johnny Christ from Avenged Sevenfold has a lot of surprisingly good basslines ie:the interlude in Blinded in Chains.
Mike Mills from REM
Rick Danko from The Band
Adam Clayton from U2

to name a few
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Has it been mentioned.

Anthony Jackson. Amazing player, redefined the instrument to an extant and uses a pick. Bloody amzing player if you ask me.

John Paul Johns. Not all the time but makes great use of diferent tecgniques and whole lotta of love is played with a pick and he hits as mnay strings as he can with it.

Cant think of any others of the top of my head.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Last edited by fatgoogle at Jul 29, 2010,
Duff and Peter Hook who have been mentioned already are both star bassists.

Also Matt Freeman of the punk band Rancid uses a pick and is a great bass player. Check out the crazy solo in Maxwell Murder!
mike dirnt is quite the player, especially on green days older albums, and he uses a pick.
mark hoppus too
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Quote by thegiaco2112
the bass player from Isis

Didn't they split?
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
Henkka Seppala from Children of Bodom
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Page 1 of 4