hello there
my band is having a few problems with our drummer
he tends to have no enthusiasm/commitment with the band and has a tendency to drop out of gigs or turn up late for gigs/practice
he admits he isnt as commited, we are only a young unsigned group but weve started to play around the whole of England now not just in our area, so things are progressing!

we just want to know what would you do if you were in this situation?

i surpose the right thing to do is to find a more commited drummer, but there is a lack of drummers in our area, and weve also known eachother since we were children! and grew up together and started the band together

any help?
thanks
www.myspace.com/the3nvy

Fender '04 USA Strat-->Boss CS-3-->Vox Satchurator-->EHX Big Muff-->Boss NS-2-->Behringer Vintage Phaser-->Boss Super Chorus-->EHX Memory Boy-->Marshall 80watt Valvestate
You answered your own question.

Either you put up with his attitude, or replace him. You have no other option.
You can't make someone feel the enthusiasm/commitment towards the band.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
well, we really dont wanna kick him out! but we want more commitment! we need to just give him a kick up the ars*!
www.myspace.com/the3nvy

Fender '04 USA Strat-->Boss CS-3-->Vox Satchurator-->EHX Big Muff-->Boss NS-2-->Behringer Vintage Phaser-->Boss Super Chorus-->EHX Memory Boy-->Marshall 80watt Valvestate
You can't unless you say start pulling your weight or your out and it might shock him into action.
SMILE!
I would either talk to him about it or just get rid of him, if he's admitted he's uncommitted and you're starting to get more serious gigs then you'll have to get rid of him, having a member drop out or turn up late will not help you as you try and get noticed. If you book a gig with a venue and then can't play because a member drops out last minute, it's not all that likely that they'll ask you to play again.

I don't know what kind of recognition you have been getting, but surely any degree of success should motivate him, if it doesn't then I don't know why he's still with you.

Find someone new. Seriously. It is hard to find drummers, yes, but you're going to have to try, even if you have to settle for someone less skilled or experienced, anything is better than someone who is unreliable and uncommitted.

On the issue of you being friends, what's more important to you, maintaining your friendship or having the band succeed?
This is also why I always stand by the idea of never starting bands with friends, if he was a stranger you could have already gotten rid of him, no problem.
Give the guy an ultimatum, put more effort in or he's out.

You wont get anywhere with drumemr that half asses.
Quote by baba-conteh
well, we really dont wanna kick him out! but we want more commitment! we need to just give him a kick up the ars*!

That's nice. I'd like a winning lottery ticket and Penelope Cruz's phone number. But I've accepted reality, and know what I can't get.
You can't make a person change. If he's not committed, find a new drummer.
I wouldn't even bother with an ultimatium. He's been a no-show for gigs. Would you hire someone who doesn't show up for work? Nope. Would you fire him? Yep.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Be careful with ultimatums. Delivering those shows an attitude of "I have power over you and I will make you do what I want you to do." It demonstrates a relationship of inequality and tyranny. When someone delivers an ultimatum to me... I walk. (though I conduct myself in a fashion such that I haven't had an ultimatum given to me in about 15 years...)

Talk to me. Tell me what you need. Find out how we can work together, or through conversation realize that we cannot agree to each others terms and we'll mutually agree that we should go our separate ways.

Now... about the original problem...

You said yourself that the drummer admits to not being very committed.

You also said that you are touring around England. If there is a demand for you to tour around the whole of England, and you are gigging regularly, you must be making a name for yourselves. Given that, it would be *easy* to find a new drummer. These are the kinds of bands that musicians are looking for!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by baba-conteh

Have you ever had a shitty girlfriend?? 'Cause everyone in your band is pretty much gonna act the same.

(I admit, this is a rough analogy, but stick with me)

Just like any relationship, YOU have to decide what you are willing to take and what you expect. You must make the other person aware of this and THEY must act to strick the balance.

If your band is any good; talented, original, interesting, then some better drummer will want to be a part of it. I've grown up with an abundance of musicians around and EVERYONE is replaceable. This may not be the case in your area, but you will be unsuccessful and miserable as long as this guy in around. You'll have a harder time becoming a better playter and a better band

These guys are right about ultimatums. Have you EVER told someone if you continue to (X), I will (Y)?? Dude, it works for the first week, but does not change anything in the long run.