So I defretted a guitar, which now leaves me with a guitar neck and holes where the frets used to be. What can I fill these in with to make the neck completely flat?
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by rtfk101
So I defretted a guitar, which now leaves me with a guitar neck and holes where the frets used to be. What can I fill these in with to make the neck completely flat?

You can use veneer of a contrasting colour (maple on rosewood or ebony, for example), glue that in the slots, then sand it down.

BUT, you must do something. If you leave it, you will have problems.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
www.unfretted.com

That is THE place to go to for step-by-step defretting. Actually, it's the place to go concerning anything fretless that isn't a bass.

I have defretted a guitar and a bass. On the guitar, I used marine epoxy (grimy to work with, but sanded nicely). On the bass, I used superglue. Honestly, the filler material doesn't make too much difference to tone/feel. It's mostly a cosmetic choice. If it's colored, you have to be more careful with chips from the defretting process, as the filler will seep into the chips and look a little silly. Unless you want to be really fancy, the best bet is probably a clear-dry epoxy or superglue. Easy to find, easy to use. When it dries, you will see the wood color underneath, but slightly different shade. YOU will see the fretlines, but nobody else will.

When you sand the fretboard (if you want a radius, the special sanding blocks ARE worthwhile), any excess filler will just come off, and you should be left with a sexy, fretless neck on which you can slide and "mwah" to your heart's content.

Another suggestion is to have a "trash" guitar to practice on. Seriously. I practiced on my buddy's broken acoustic (snapped headstock), and it made all the difference.