I've heard from various sources that DiMarzio pickups demand good technique, as they really emphasize string noise and other such little mistakes.

Can anyone who has DiMarzios in their guitar confirm or deny this? I'd try it myself, but there aren't many guitars that come stock with DiMarzio pickups, at least not in my local music store.

Also, if this is true, does anyone know what exactly makes them so sensitive? Is it more sensitive than any other hot pickup?

Thanks in advance. I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I searched and didn't find anything.
A dimarzio... what?

Not all dimarzio's are high output. Some are very low output
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
I have never heard that. I own a DiMarzio DP102 X2N, their highest output passive pickup. I think they pickup more mistakes just because it is so powerful. The magnet picks up every possible string vibration.

I have a relative idea of how pups work, but mine supposedly has a ceramic magnet and bar pickups as opposed to the individual pickups for each string.
I dont know how that affects my sound though.. Maybe someone else does?

Quick Google ---
ALNICO vs. CERAMIC: Magnet material is usually one of two varieties: Alnico (aluminum, nickel, and cobalt) or ceramic. Alnico was used in all popular vintage pickups and generally has a warm and smooth response. Ceramic magnets tend to boost treble response and have become popular for pickups with extra coil winding to compensate for the treble loss. Alnico magnets also lend to a smoother distortion tone with a prominent midrange while ceramic magnets can improve the clarity and high end grind of a distorted tone. There are many different formulas of Alnico and Ceramic magnets. In general, the stronger the magnet can be magnetized, The brighter it will soumd in a pickup.

from --http://www.guitartechcraig.com/techpckp/pickups.htm
Quote by sashki
I've heard from various sources that DiMarzio pickups demand good technique, as they really emphasize string noise and other such little mistakes.

Can anyone who has DiMarzios in their guitar confirm or deny this? I'd try it myself, but there aren't many guitars that come stock with DiMarzio pickups, at least not in my local music store.

Also, if this is true, does anyone know what exactly makes them so sensitive? Is it more sensitive than any other hot pickup?

Thanks in advance. I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I searched and didn't find anything.

Well i have heard of the dimarzio evolution being described like that but obviously not all of there pickup models are the same lol
i have en evo in the bridge, and a jb in the bridge of another guitar. the evo picks up way more mistakes - have to play cleaner. I hav ea PAF pro in the neck, and it doesn't catch as many errors as the evo, probably because its lower output.
also, if this is a concern to you, it shouldn't be. when i got my evo i spent a couple weeks cleaning up my playing, and then it went from there, and i am now a much better(cleaner) player because of it.
a bridge pickup will always show up more mistakes, they tend to be higher output than neck pickups.

A high output dimarzio (X2N, d activator, evo) will show up just as many mistakes as an emg active or seymour active.

Though tbh, if you're worried about it showing up mistakes, just shows you should worry more about fixing them as opposed to new pickups showing them...
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
The Evolutions are known for that, and it's true. They really show any mistakes or noise on unmuted strings...makes you learn to play better though!
The Evolutions are DiMarzio's only articulate pickup in my experience. Everything else they make is extremely easy to play.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
being forced to play cleaner can only be a good thing imo, pickups such as the evolutions are reknown for their clarity the side effect is they will also pickup on your sloppy playing in which case you`ve gotta perfect your technique
Quote by pigeonmafia
a bridge pickup will always show up more mistakes, they tend to be higher output than neck pickups.

A high output dimarzio (X2N, d activator, evo) will show up just as many mistakes as an emg active or seymour active.

Though tbh, if you're worried about it showing up mistakes, just shows you should worry more about fixing them as opposed to new pickups showing them...

+ 2 million
Just putting this out there, a high output does not in any way shape or form mean better clarity. In fact it usually means the opposite due to having less treble and the only exceptions are pickups where the designer knows what they're doing. Guys like Dave Friedman of Rack Systems will agree.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by pigeonmafia

Quote by mmolteratx
Just putting this out there, a high output does not in any way shape or form mean better clarity. In fact it usually means the opposite due to having less treble and the only exceptions are pickups where the designer knows what they're doing. Guys like Dave Friedman of Rack Systems will agree.

Ok, thanks for the replies so far, but I'm getting mixed messages here.

Surely if a pickup is higher output, it is more efficient and therefore more sensitive to string noise and higher order overtones? All the highest output pickups I've ever tried were pretty bright sounding and had strong harmonics, which I'm guessing is due to a stronger magnet.

Would "clarity" be the result of stronger upper harmonics, or fundamental tones?
I like dimarzios. Since using them, ive havn't noticed a problem with mistakes or anything like that. They're great pickups. I find that my cheap active ibanez pickups make my mistakes stand out far more than dimarzios.
Honestly, just try a set out.
Gear

Ibanez J custom 8420ZE
Ibanez RGA42
Ibanez RG550
RG3120 Prestige

Framus cobra