I have a gibson les paul studio with faded cherry finish and i wanted to swirl it though i have 2 concerns. The first is it has a set neck how could I dip it in without getting it on the fretboard? 2nd do I have to strip down the finish even though its faded? is there some sort of gloss or something? IDK. Oh and can i paint it before I dip it in?
Gear List:
Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Faded
Bugera 6262 2x12
Boss SD-1
Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
Morley Power Wah
I have no idea how to protect the neck, but yes you have to strip it down, or at least rough it up and prime it, and yes you can paint it before it's put in.
You'll probably need to unglue the neck, glue a board into the neck pocket to dip it with, unglue that, then reglue the neck. I don't know that I'd trust painter's tape to protect it in the dipping process.
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
and how exactly would i "unglue" the neck?

Edit: nvm i found a site that says you can use tape and they have pics of set neck swirls.

So i know how to sand the finish off after looking at some guides but i need to know before i swirl it I wanna give it a black coat first how many layers should i give it and what kind of paint?
Gear List:
Bugera 6262 2x12
Boss SD-1
Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
Morley Power Wah
Last edited by Mr_Wizard at Jul 29, 2010,
Just my 2 cents here. I would advise really, really, really, really, REALLY strongly against this idea for now. To be honest in a non-dick way it sounds like you don't have any experience with painting like this, and really man swirls are hard enough to do right as it is. Attempting a very finicky finish on a $1000 guitar for your first time.. I just don't want to see you end up with a crappy finish you're not happy with then being bummed about ruining your guitar for the time being.

If you're set on this idea than practice, practice, and practice some more before you even think of trying it on your guitar. Swirls are hard to learn, as is finish removal without damaging your guitar. Just some friendly advice from a fellow refinisher
K ya i decided to do it on my laguna itll be alot easier with a bolt on neck and its alot cheaper. But I'll need to lower it's action being it's a low end guitar

Edit: well nvm again i plan to take the tremolo out and put in a floyd rose and emg pups.
The only real question i left is what chemical do i use to strip the paint?
Gear List:
Bugera 6262 2x12
Boss SD-1
Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
Morley Power Wah
Last edited by Mr_Wizard at Jul 29, 2010,
Quote by Mr_Wizard

The only real question i left is what chemical do i use to strip the paint?

Just go to a hardware store and buy some paint stripper. Project guitar's website probably has a couple recommendations of what to use, as well as a lot of tutorials for different stuff.
You'll need some pretty darn strong paint stripper to take a poly (eurethane) finish off, that stuff is bullet proof. An easy way to do it is use a heat gun then scrape the layers of plasticy crap off but this won't work if the guitar has a maple cap like an LP, it'll melt the glue and peel up.
i already found the ultimate painting thing it helped alot but it never tells me what to buy it just tells me how to do it
Gear List:
Bugera 6262 2x12
Boss SD-1
Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
Morley Power Wah