Hi,

I was thinking about getting a new amp and I was quite interested by the Marshall 100MG FX with a stompware that would've given me a few presets, but i've tried a 3o watt version that was rather naff and after reading a few critics i've decided against it.

Untill now i've been using and older Marshall 15MG CD with an Ibanez ART 12o and i quite like the sound of it but obviously not loud enough for gigs.
My budgets around about 25o - 35o euros any suggestions?

Otherwise I was wondering if I could just rig the 15watt up to a bigger speaker cabnet but have no ideas what the sound will be like.
More speakers will not appreciably increase the volume.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
pevey vypry 100
Who's your daddy... well not me cuz ur momas ugly

These things are sex transport vehichles woot

This man just got a station wagon.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
More speakers will not appreciably increase the volume.

No, but the more speakers you have the louder you can turn up the amp without it sounding like poop.

I recently converted a small 15 watt SS practice amp into a head - through the stock 8" speaker you couldn't turn it up very loud or it would sound horrible. However, when you plug it into a 4x12 you can crank the thing and your tone its still distinguishable.
you should definitely add more speakers to the marshall mg100hdfx. if you don't it's a waste because it's got an extension jack. it can actually run 2 cabs thats why people have 2 cabs so you can point 1 left and 1 right and that way everyone can hear you.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by ChucklesMginty
What kind of music do you play? Are you willing to go used?

I play mainly Rock/Metal so i need a resonably good distortion but also Jimi Hendrix stuff and calm Metallica songs

Used, why not but the problem being I live in france
Last edited by killeraxeboy at Jul 29, 2010,
Do you play in a band? Is your drummer really loud? You may not actually need 100 watts.
Anyway, to fit your specifications, I would personally get a used bass amp and pair it with a versatile distortion pedal like the jekyll and hyde
Peavey Windsor if you can find one, reasonable amp. 100w all tube, effect loop, and they go for around $300 new
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Why do you need 100W...?
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by AcousticMirror
you should definitely add more speakers to the marshall mg100hdfx. if you don't it's a waste because it's got an extension jack. it can actually run 2 cabs thats why people have 2 cabs so you can point 1 left and 1 right and that way everyone can hear you.

ur a DICK

As for TS, you do NOT need 100 solid state watts, and especially not 100 tube wattage.

If you are gigging, a Peavey Classic 30 would be perfect, or just listen to AMs suggestions when he's serious. Him or MC, or Matt.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by somemaycallmeti
Do you play in a band? Is your drummer really loud? You may not actually need 100 watts.

Yeh i play in band we're hoping to start gigging soon i suppose a 50watt would do but i want to buy the best i can now to avoid having to get something better later on. I like the VOX Valvetronix VT50 and VT100 i'll have to try them out. otherwise roland cube 80watt?
answer these 2 quesions so that the nice people within these forums may help you more
1. what genres of music do you play?
2. are you willing to go used?
Quote by Led Dirigible
Crickets have too much high end for my tastes. I prefer a nice beetle, lots of warm low end.

tl;dr put a beetle in your amp for superior toanz.

Guitars: Schecter C-1 Classic
Westfeild LP e4500
Amp: Vox AD15VT
I smell a troll honestly.

You want to buy the best you can and want decent distortion but you are looking at the MGs and the Valvetronix.

Can you go play some amps and/or are you buying off the interwebz?

What genres and how important are cleans?
Just try a 30 watt tube amp at whatever the music store in France is called. You'll be surprised how far 30 watts of tube goodness goes.

The Valvetronix are pretty good but a Peavey Vypyr probably handles metal better
Quote by Rapter-paul
answer these 2 quesions so that the nice people within these forums may help you more
1. what genres of music do you play?
2. are you willing to go used?

I already have
Quote by killeraxeboy

I play mainly Rock/Metal so i need a resonably good distortion but also Jimi Hendrix stuff and calm Metallica songs

Used, why not but the problem being I live in france

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Can you go play some amps and/or are you buying off the interwebz?

I'd prefer to buy in my local music shop and play them before i buy
Quote by AcousticMirror

Whoah, that's actually a decent idea, thanks!

@TS: If you're looking for the best you can buy, the Valvetronix and Cubes aren't really the best you can do, honestly. I'd look into a used Peavey Valveking. Alright, it's not the greatest, but for the money you'd be hard pushed to get something better. And it'll be plenty loud enough for you, as it comes in 50 AND 100 watt versions...
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
If you can find a used Line 6 Flextone in your budget that wouldn't be a bad idea. Same with a used Vypyr Tube 60. Really your budget is too small to get something where you won't want to upgrade when you can. If you can stretch a bit you can get a Jet City JCA20 and an Ibanez TS7 to take it into metal territory but 20w of headroom would be pushing it at metal gigs IMO. A used 6505+ 112 would suit you even better for metal but again, you'd have to raise your budget.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Peavey Bandit combos are really cheap, and 80 watts. I've seen one used through 4x12 cabinet at a medium sized gig and it was plenty loud enough and sounded pretty good.