Page 1 of 3
Deadline is Monday

I thought it would be a good idea to make a challenge to make sure everyone is putting their theory knowledge into practise, so something like this...

3 categories - Basic, intermediate and advanced theory knowledge-wise. Each group will have some things they need to include in their piece, these might be to do with structure, melody, harmony or whatever. You don't have to include everything but do try to fit in as much as you can without compromising the musical result (that means no 3 octave lighting fast diminished 7th arpeggios in a 12 bar blues song )

Here's the categories and things to include in your piece.

Basic

A chord progression of at least 3 chords .
A simple melody that will fit over your chords.
A simple structure (12 bar blues, Binary form etc).

Intermediate

A chord progression containing some use of inversions and an ability to use 7th, add, and sus chord effectively.
A melody that fits the chords and includes some decoration to make it more interesting.
A definable structure.
Good voice leading (exception for power chords).
At least 1 modulation to a related key.

Advanced

A chord progression using inversions, suspensions, accented/unaccented passing notes and appogiaturas effectively and/or a chord progression using complex chords such as 9ths/11ths/13ths and altered.
A melody which fits the chords you are using and can contain notes of melodic decoration.
Make a well structured piece of at least 3 sections.
Use of augmented 6th, Neapolitan 6th and Diminished 7th chords.
Contain at least 2 modulations, one of which must be to a distant key.
Some Tasteful use of chromaticism.

Remember to include a paragraph of where you have including each thing in your piece

If you are up for the challenge let me know what category you want to participate in and i will add you to the list.

that will do for now if anyone has any more suggestions i will add them to the specified category.

Participants
Griffrg7321 - Advanced
Diminished5th - Advanced - Done
ApatheticMe - Beginner
Rockingamer2 - Beginner
MapOfYourHead - Advanced - Done
AeolianWolf - Advanced
Angusman60- Advanced
Eastwinn - Advanced - Done
nbur4556 - Beginner
7grant2 - Intermediate
Hiddentrack - Beginner
(maybe)DemonOfTheNight- Advanced
xxDarrenxx - Advanced
Blackmetalguitar - Intermediate
Mouseemoose - Beginner
Philo - Beginner - Done
Wiegenlied - Intermediate
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Aug 5, 2010,
I'm in. Sign me up for beginner though.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I've been waiting a while for another MT composition challenge.

Stick me in advanced.

Edit: By modulation to a distant key I assume you mean a modulation to an uncommon key relative to your current key, like a tri-tone modulation rather than going to the dominant...or something to that effect.
Last edited by MapOfYourHead at Jul 29, 2010,
caramel corn for president, please!

no, seriously. advanced.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
add me to advanced when does it need to be done?
2010 Gibson SG Honeyburst
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
I might give it a shot, sign me up for begginer.

I may not actually think of anything, kind of really bad at songwriting, but I'll give it a try.

When is the deadline?
Get me for advanced. I'm gonna try to write a very short piece for a string quartet. I'll record it and throw it on my profile and then attach a MIDI so you guys can listen to it.

Also good ideas with the different classes. Don't wanna exclude the people we try so hard to help

EDIT: Actually, you know, I wanna do this in a band situation again, but maybe with more variety. A folk set up maybe? We'll see.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Last edited by Eastwinn at Jul 30, 2010,
I'd like to try intermediate but I don't think I'm quite there yet xD But I already have accomplished basic requirements on my profile page... Sure what the heck I'll take a shot at intermediate. I'm sorry but there will be no lyrics, I am no singer and I'll simply be using a music program.
Quote by Eastwinn
Get me for advanced. I'm gonna try to write a very short piece for a string quartet. I'll record it and throw it on my profile and then attach a MIDI so you guys can listen to it.

Also good ideas with the different classes. Don't wanna exclude the people we try so hard to help

EDIT: Actually, you know, I wanna do this in a band situation again, but maybe with more variety. A folk set up maybe? We'll see.

I'd love that since I'm still generally newer to the music making business, but not sure how it would work...
I iz moderatin teh forums on this site.
Last edited by 7grant2 at Jul 30, 2010,
Quote by MapOfYourHead
I've been waiting a while for another MT composition challenge.

Stick me in advanced.

Edit: By modulation to a distant key I assume you mean a modulation to an uncommon key relative to your current key, like a tri-tone modulation rather than going to the dominant...or something to that effect.

That would be correct.
Quote by griffRG7321
Good voice leading

Do you mean counterpoint? If so, that implies you want the advance guys to use counterpoint as well, correct?

If that's true do you really expect them to use:
Quote by griffRG7321
a chord progression using complex chords such as 9ths/11ths/13ths and altered.

That's pretty advanced. Like Wagner level or Duke Ellington level advanced. I'm suddenly interested in the results of this thread. Unless you don't mean them to use direct 9ths, 11ths or 13ths?

Quote by griffRG7321
A chord progression using inversions

I'm guessing you also want them to use chord prolongation as well?

I might enter in my own submission into the advanced section. No promises though, I'm flaky when it comes to these sort of things.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight
Do you mean counterpoint? If so, that implies you want the advance guys to use counterpoint as well, correct?

If that's true do you really expect them to use:

That's pretty advanced. Like Wagner level or Duke Ellington level advanced. I'm suddenly interested in the results of this thread. Unless you don't mean them to use direct 9ths, 11ths or 13ths?

I'm guessing you also want them to use chord prolongation as well?

I might enter in my own submission into the advanced section. No promises though, I'm flaky when it comes to these sort of things.

Where on earth have you been?

By voiceleading i mean Partwriting (i heard it's called voiceleading in US). And no i do not expect anyone to use counterpoint. Feel free to do so though.

You can use the complex chords how you like. Depending how you use them those chords maybe just be a by product of suspensions or appogiaturas etc (in which case they aren't actually 9th/11th/13th chords but i did say and/or).
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Jul 30, 2010,
Quote by griffRG7321
By voiceleading i mean Partwriting (i heard it's called voiceleading in US). And no i do not expect anyone to use counterpoint.

Isn't good part writing synonymous to counterpoint? From what I've gathered, part writing is where you write several parts (or voices or countermelodies) in one segment of music, when it's done well it's using a form of free counterpoint.

I'd really like to see someone from this site try their hand at free counterpoint . It'd be nice if I could actually ask a composer what they're thinking when they deviate from strict counterpoint, rather than just analysing and guessing.

Quote by griffRG7321
Depending how you use them those chords maybe just be a by product of suspensions or appogiaturas etc (in which case they aren't actually 9th/11th/13th chords but i did say and/or).

Fair enough. I once experimented with direct 9th and 13th chords in my music, I personally didn't like the result.

Quote by griffRG7321
Where on earth have you been?

Around, occasionally lurking. Most of the time I come here, I've felt unneeded. There are a lot of better posters than me and I remember feeling outspoken when I used to post here often.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight
Isn't good part writing synonymous to counterpoint? From what I've gathered, part writing is where you write several parts (or voices or countermelodies) in one segment of music, when it's done well it's using a form of free counterpoint.

I'd really like to see someone from this site try their hand at free counterpoint . It'd be nice if I could actually ask a composer what they're thinking when they deviate from strict counterpoint, rather than just analysing and guessing.

I learned part writing is the rules you associate with SATB writing.

I myself haven't looked at counterpoint, I'll wait until i go to university in october.
so when does this need to be done?
2010 Gibson SG Honeyburst
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
Quote by griffRG7321
I learned part writing is the rules you associate with SATB writing.

I myself haven't looked at counterpoint, I'll wait until i go to university in october.

They're pretty much synonymous.

Quote by demonofthenight
Around, occasionally lurking. Most of the time I come here, I've felt unneeded. There are a lot of better posters than me and I remember feeling outspoken when I used to post here often.

Post anyways! Your MT family misses you!
Quote by griffRG7321
Has anyone decided what style they are going to write in yet?

I'm probably going to do either an orchestra or a piano piece. I might submit my current song I'm working on (for a metal band with orchestra, choir, and keyboard added on) since it contains most of these things haha
I've already written most of the exposition for a piano sonata, but I don't know if I'll use it for this.
Last edited by MapOfYourHead at Jul 30, 2010,
After reviewing my options, I'm going to settle on a string quartet, probably with a voice (represented with a flute). The reason why is because this gives me flexibility as far as playability goes. A voice, or even multiple high instruments will allow me to introduce a clear melody, or extend chords if I so choose.

My goal is to get somethings that's not too long and really nice sounding. Wish me luck.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
I'm probably going to do either an orchestra or a piano piece. I might submit my current song I'm working on (for a metal band with orchestra, choir, and keyboard added on) since it contains most of these things haha

Combine both, Piano concerto!
I'm gonna go for the advanced one. (last one).

I'm gonna do a solo guitar piece.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Is it just me or are people not doing intermediate? ...Looks like I'm trying to beat myself I'm thinking of a small Jazz piece of music but not sure how it will go.
Quote by 7grant2
Is it just me or are people not doing intermediate? ...Looks like I'm trying to beat myself I'm thinking of a small Jazz piece of music but not sure how it will go.

Always push yourself man, try it out anyway.
Quote by griffRG7321
Always push yourself man, try it out anyway.
I'll need to write the Circle of Fifths, get that ii V I progression moving, and plenty of soda
I have written one. kinda pop jazz whatever...maybe make a metal song later. I'd like to have my feedback first^^!

can we try some or just one?
Quote by BlackmetalGitar
I have written one. kinda pop jazz whatever...maybe make a metal song later. I'd like to have my feedback first^^!

can we try some or just one?

you can upload as many entries as you like, have you uploaded yours?
ok. thats it. my first upload. I guess, I was to much in a hurry while writing it.
to much idea since a long time.
I was focusing on the sus and 7th chords. dunno if I've done it right^^.
First attempt to write with these chords.
Attachments:
savechallengehitxd.gp5
Awesome stuff! I liked the chord progression a lot. which category were you doing? intermediate ?
Quote by BlackmetalGitar
ok. thats it. my first upload. I guess, I was to much in a hurry while writing it.
to much idea since a long time.
I was focusing on the sus and 7th chords. dunno if I've done it right^^.
First attempt to write with these chords.
I'm impressed! Wish I could write music like that xD Luckily I'm understanding music theory a little more every day.
Quote by xxdarrenxx
I'm gonna go for the advanced one. (last one).

I'm gonna do a solo guitar piece.

Oooo I look forward to this one.

BlackmetalGuitar: After I finish mine I'll give some real criticism on yours, but for now I'll say that I really enjoyed it. Nice work.

EDIT: So I started working by picking up something I had written for a piano and a violin a long while ago. It was only 8 measures long, 4 of which were missing melody, so I figured it was fair game to use it. After putting some effort in, I now have a dark melody over a Gm11-F#dim-Adimb6 progression. Complicated enough? I'm about to modulate to A minor but now that I'm at this milestone, I'd like to ask -- would A Major be considered a distant key from G minor?
Last edited by Eastwinn at Jul 30, 2010,
Quote by griffRG7321
Has anyone decided what style they are going to write in yet?

Well, since I'm in beginner, and also to help me learn to do chord progressions better, I think I'm going to try something in an acoustic rock style.
Quote by Eastwinn
I'd like to ask -- would A Major be considered a distant key from G minor?

Not the most distant, it is only the dominant of the dominant, but i would allow that as a distant key as long as you didn't arrive to it via the key of D
Oh no, it's much more clever than that . The Adimb6 resolves to a G Major, which becomes the bVII of the following A Major progression. The G Major is tonicized for the first measure of the key change, so it's a little shaky, but it sounds awesome so I don't care!
Page 1 of 3