Page 1 of 5
Hi everybody

Old thread: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1328296&page=1&pp=20

Open document: https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=10igZanWF1zBNYoyfby-3dAMCxd85OFCklcpvqS-DyX4&hl=en&authkey=CPy_yPsD

So, the ultimate guitar community concept album was initially conceived at the beginning of the summer by PussyPunk, but that thread died due to lack of organization. We're resuming work in this new thread, which will pick up where the old one left off. So, without further ado:

The Ultimate Guitar Community Concept Album was originally an attempt at creating a more focused community project than the other community albums. In the old thread, we established a theme, astronauts leaving earth, but failed to establish a story. I feel that it will allow people to contribute more easily if everybody writes their own story that can be told in a song or two. We can write a much more interesting and varied album if we each write a story about one of the ships as it escapes earth, and the trials and tribulations of the people on board.

Pm me if you are interested in collaborating on the project, and tell me what you can do (ie. singer, guitarist, drummer, etc).

Edit: Clarification on the story

The idea we settled on in the old thread is that some sort of cataclysm affects earth, and in order to preserve the species, some astronauts leave earth in order to find a new home where humans can continue to survive.

Contributors:
L2112Lif (singer/writer)
Meelad360 (guitarist/writer)
Brendan.Pivin (tbd)
Mources (writer/tbd)
TheReverend724 (drums)
BrokenDstring (writer/guitarist/singer/mixer)
jld8111 (drums/acoustic)
rockfan7 (tbd)
CrossBack7 (acoustic/electronic stuff)
angusfan16 (vocals)
muffinduck01 (writer)
Kiwara (guitar)
KoenDercksen (tbd)
MetaIronForce (writer)
metalbaswee (ambient writer)
The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
-Alan Kay

Check out my original classical composition here !
Last edited by Zigsfi at Aug 3, 2010,
Quote by genghisgandhi
What a cheesy story.

Well, it is a community album, so if you can contribute a better story idea, be my guest.
-Alan Kay

sounds like fun

Edit:Writer/guitar/singer whatever is needed
Last edited by Brendan.Pivin at Jul 30, 2010,
Sounds cool...

Could do a song about going past planets or some shizz?

Just an idea.... maybe. How would the whole thing work, would people submit songs, or would stories have to be selected or.. what? both.. either.. something
STRIKING MINORS
Quote by Zigsfi
Well, it is a community album, so if you can contribute a better story idea, be my guest.

I've mentioned an idea before when I criticized the ridiculous stories for this and the rock opera.
It chronicles a teenagers adventures through all the different genre's of music in his town (blues, punk, prog, jazz, metal, indie,) and how he ends up having bad experiences with all of them and then moving on to the next, with each song being in the genre that it's about (or possibly anything but that genre to make it more interesting.)
It's not a great story but it will allow the album to have more variety, more UGers would be able to be involved, and it could actually pretty funny if done right.
Of course the lack of sci fi/fantasy imagery and tacked on philosophical bullshit makes this story unsuitable for a concept album but a guy can dream, right?.
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
Last edited by Lots O' FX at Jul 29, 2010,
Quote by Lots O' FX
I've mentioned an idea before when I criticized the ridiculous stories for this and the rock opera.
It chronicles a teenagers adventures through all the different genre's of music in his town (blues, punk, prog, jazz, metal, indie,) and how he ends up having bad experiences with all of them and then moving on to the next, with each song being in the genre that it's about (or possibly anything but that genre to make it more interesting.)
It's not a great story but it will allow the album to have more variety, more UGers would be able to be involved, and it could actually pretty funny if done right.
Of course the lack of sci fi/fantasy imagery and tacked on philosophical bullshit makes this story unsuitable for a concept album but a guy can dream, right?.

Not a bad idea... The Gym Leader's of Music? It'd be difficult to do, though... Maybe using all different styles to help describe planets that are deemed suitable settling spots?
Could do a song about going past planets or some shizz?

Just an idea.... maybe. How would the whole thing work, would people submit songs, or would stories have to be selected or.. what? both.. either.. something

Well, the main reason why I feel that everybody should be able to pick their own story/song idea is so that we get a variety of cool stuff like that.

Well, there's no law that says each song on the album has to be a prog ballad or something like that. Each track should experiment with different genres, and I think we'll get some nice variety out of that, while not being pidgeonholed into self-reference. For instance, one of the ideas batted around in the original thread was a metalcore song about cabin fever, and another was a psychedelic jazz track about an atmosphere malfunction. It all depends on the style of the music that you want to write, because it's possible to fit almost anything into this idea.
-Alan Kay

PM'd

I can write, guitar, vox, acoustic, mix....just let me know. I love this kinda stuff.

Concept albums are the entity that they are because of the flow and the way its like one big song. Having a bluesy/folk song lead into a metal song is cool...but not exactly fitting for the entire idea of a concept album.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
I can do drums, acoustic guitar, and i have a song that would fit this concept really well.
cig
I can do a song, I have some-what good recording all across the board (see myspace in sig)

I don't do concept lyrics however, so if someone hooks me up with that I'll do the rest.
Quote by BrokenDstring
PM'd

I can write, guitar, vox, acoustic, mix....just let me know. I love this kinda stuff.

Concept albums are the entity that they are because of the flow and the way its like one big song. Having a bluesy/folk song lead into a metal song is cool...but not exactly fitting for the entire idea of a concept album.

While this is true to an extent, if a style lends itself to the feel of the lyrics, then it should be used. I mean, its really hard to write a punk song about fluffy, fuzzy bunnies without it sounding like a joke.
Quote by BrokenDstring
PM'd

Oh right, Between the Buried and Me do it in every song of a concept album and it's the "best album ever" but Lots O' FX proposes it and suddenly he's a closeted homosexual who's parents only begrudgingly raised him because they couldn't find an abortion clinic that didn't have some kind of infestation. That's a completely unfounded, and fairly cruel assumption man.

Anyway...
If the songs are positioned right it would work, especially if given a leitmotif of some kind. To be honest I don't expect it to be taken seriously so forget about it.
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
Quote by Lots O' FX
Oh right, Between the Buried and Me do it in every song of a concept album and it's the "best album ever" but Lots O' FX proposes it and suddenly he's a closeted homosexual who's parents only begrudgingly raised him because they couldn't find an abortion clinic that didn't have some kind of infestation. That's a completely unfounded, and fairly cruel assumption man.

Anyway...
If the songs are positioned right it would work, especially if given a leitmotif of some kind. To be honest I don't expect it to be taken seriously so forget about it.

Glad you know Leitmotif. And, yeah. I was defending your idea. It'd be really interesting to have multiple styles, but they'd kind of need to sit under an overarching style that binds them together...
I still have a strings segment up on my profile that I was going to use in my song for this album, but things came up and I am no longer able to finish it. Anyone who wants to incorporate it into their song can PM me.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
All I'm saying is you don't want to give the listner whiplash...other than staying away from that, varying styles isn't a bad thing at all. Its just keeping a feel and flow that's important, in my opinion.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Quote by L2112Lif
Well, yeah. Musical whiplash hurts... Except in parts where a jarring of the senses is important or useful.

Getting goosebumps ftw.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
What genre of music? Also i'd be down for writing lyrics and/or providing vocals.
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at Jul 30, 2010,
Quote by angusfan16
What genre of music? Also i'd be down for writing lyrics and/or providing vocals.

Any you want, as long as it fits the lyrical content and the main idea. However, we don't want like 120394308934059 tech death songs and 3204923 droning post rock songs (You get the idea).
Quote by Meelad360
Any you want, as long as it fits the lyrical content and the main idea. However, we don't want like 120394308934059 tech death songs and 3204923 droning post rock songs (You get the idea).

Alright, that's what i thought

I'll collab with someone, but i'm limited to metal when it comes to vocals. I can do bass/clean guitars, and i can write lyrics for any other genre though.
Sail upon the open skies
Hmmm. I'm intrigued.

Have you decided what the disaster would be? Recently the idea popped into my head of a giant robot type thing descending from outer space to kill off a whole bunch of people. I already have some of the music tabbed out, and was going to start writing lyrics after I finished writing lyrics for another song i'm doing ATM.

MDEDIT: I can also post a GP file of what I've written so far if your interested. It kind of has a doomy feel to it.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by muffinduck01
Hmmm. I'm intrigued.

Have you decided what the disaster would be? Recently the idea popped into my head of a giant robot type thing descending from outer space to kill off a whole bunch of people. I already have some of the music tabbed out, and was going to start writing lyrics after I finished writing lyrics for another song i'm doing ATM.

Lame

Third Impact
Hi guys I'm into it - if you send me some drum/bass tracks I can record guitar. I don't have much time with writing... Next month we are on tour around my country, but if you send me some tabs, I can record almost everything ;-) PM me, if you want help with the gtrs ;-)
I actually had a bitchin' idea for a concept album/rock opera a while back...

Basically, it's a guy who has a sex addiction. He lives in an apartment complex, and a girl moves in the apartment next to him, but she's not attractive in the slightest. She proves to him that he's capable of getting over his addiction and capable of having a stable relationship. They end up being happy and getting married, but then at the reception, an ex-girlfriend of said main character talks to the bride, and tells her what he used to be. The bride freaks out and cancels the wedding, and he dies alone, depressed.

The end track would be him going up to heaven and having a sweet angel orgy. Can you say win?
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS
Page 1 of 5