Just the basics: Can the top of the bobbin be made of copper (center and bottom won't be)?

Details: I'm building an uncovered humbucker (double coil) pickup and I need a little help. On the bobbin, most people say to use plastic, wood, or ceramic for the ends. I want to use copper for looks, but I'm wondering if the fact that it's a metal would cause the pickup to not work. It would be easy to prevent contact with the coil, and probably possible to prevent contact with the steel poles. Also, I will probably only use it for the top of the bobbin (and use wood for the center and plastic for the bottom). It seems like it should work, since covered humbuckers have a metal face that has contact with the poles. Is this plausible?
Copper is not a ferromagnetic material, so I don't see any problems with it, although there are many pickups builders on here who may be wise enough to reinforce or disprove my statement.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Copper will work but it will alter your tone because it increases inductance. You will also have to be sure that the copper is grounded otherwise it's going to increase background noise.
I know you probably want to do this for the experience and maybe you want that perfect tone, but the amount of work and money you are putting into making your own pickup could buy you many fantastic pups.

Just save yourself the time and money and get something from DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan. Or Bareknuckle or EMG, who knows.
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Quote by wesmwatson
Just the basics: Can the top of the bobbin be made of copper (center and bottom won't be)?

Details: I'm building an uncovered humbucker (double coil) pickup and I need a little help. On the bobbin, most people say to use plastic, wood, or ceramic for the ends. I want to use copper for looks, but I'm wondering if the fact that it's a metal would cause the pickup to not work. It would be easy to prevent contact with the coil, and probably possible to prevent contact with the steel poles. Also, I will probably only use it for the top of the bobbin (and use wood for the center and plastic for the bottom). It seems like it should work, since covered humbuckers have a metal face that has contact with the poles. Is this plausible?
tbh, i wouldn't even worry about electrical contact to the poles. And the coil wire has enamel insulation, so no worries there. The copper sitting right between the coil and the strings will affect the tone (and maybe decrease the output slightly), but who knows. It might be a good thing.

Why not experiment with a HB you already have. Take the bobbin ends you've made out of copper and attach them to the top of the plastic ends that are already there with double-sided tape and see how it affects the tone?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.