Page 1 of 3
VIDEO ADDED of guy staining a PRS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZ1Brc773E

So back in March I had the opportunity to tour the PRS factory in MD.
I thought i would share some of the pics with you peoples.

So we walk in and Paul immediately takes us into his office and teaches us about resonance.

He pulls out a 1958 Les Paul.

and compared how it rings acoustically next to a new mccarty. i found it interesting that he used a mccarty. but hey, he's the boss!

same type of strings, same age strings, in the same tuning. guess which one was louder?

pr0n shot for giggles.

those are the original patents that Ted McCarty received from the US patent office. Among them, the Modern patent. I took a loooong look at that one.

Paul said he knows that gibson made at least one, because it is in an attic in Michigan. I asked him how Ted liked it. (Nugent, not McCarty).

That is the original TOM in that little red box. THE original. It's bent, they had to beef it up because the string tension bent it.

Those are the original bird plates as well. He made those when he made the first guitar with birds, for Peter Frampton. Paul said he just did it because he and his mother loved birds, and had no idea that they would catch on like they did.

then he pulls out a '53 tele. wow.

after a nice meeting and get to know each other session, we started on our tours.

they have a lot of wood, graded, sorted, and drying.
rosewood, coco bolo, and a bunch of stuff i've never heard of honestly.

this is just what was brought to the factory from the storage building. that place was loaded. basically this stuff is ready to make guitars out of.

tops are sorted, graded, and bookmatched.

here is paul, showing how the wood he buys from one supplier, is the same stuff that they use to make strads...

then they get glued. most are mahogany bodies with maple tops, but you can see some of the hollowbodys that have maple top and back, with a mahogany sides.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 3, 2010,

CNC time!

how to make a prs neck...

and a lot of sanding. done by humans...

and get ready for paint!

Now in the paint room, we saw some stuff...

Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 29, 2010,

this is the pup winder, the dark wire on the right is for the 59/09s. it's made from the same machine that gibson used to make the wire back in '59. paul bought it, because he's as big a paf freak as we are, probably moreso.

oops forgot this neck when we were talking about necks.

this is just cool. who needs flame tops?

AMPS!
only shots that count are these..

Acoustics!
quilted mahogany? wtf baby jesus!

wow, great post, a watching all those american prs, would give me a boner
they sent this to some lucky bastard..

here is the 305 and 513 i tried.

mira pr0n!

ok, post away folks!

i'll answer the questions, but i'm running out for a bite to eat now, this took a bit of work lol.

Wow.

Your a lucky man,

do they organise these tours or are you invited?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
So awesome. That dragon inlay neck is absolutely ridiculous.

And this gives me hope for one day making my own guitar (I program and run a CNC where I work)
I have a huge fear if rays.
THATS AGAINST THE FORUM RULES

seriously nice though
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Jul 29, 2010,
Freaking epic! As far as the guy texting, I'm sure he was a bit bored. They work at this factory every day, and it probably wasn't his turn to talk.

EDIT: when I first saw the title, I thought it was about PRS through a Marshall
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Jul 29, 2010,
Quote by stykerwolf
The Mccartney was louder by the way, although a 58 LP would whoop 98% of all the guitars out there.

Lucky gregs

wut 98 percent. going to canada to have a talk with a certain fellow. brb.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
that sexy red guitar in the third to last pic...

OH MY GAWD!
I would smite an entire city if that's what stood between me and a guitar so beautiful
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Damnit Greg, now I want a PRS even more.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by Tom 1.0

do they organise these tours or are you invited?

they invited us. it was a group of sam ash employees.

Quote by stykerwolf
The Mccartney was louder by the way, although a 58 LP would whoop 98% of all the guitars out there.

Lucky gregs

yes it was. also more middy, the paul is rather dark in comparison and not as loud.

Quote by iampeter
explain the resonance speech! i wanna know the answer and why

i will once i get done answering everyone. it's a longer reply.

Quote by ChrisBW
So awesome. That dragon inlay neck is absolutely ridiculous.

And this gives me hope for one day making my own guitar (I program and run a CNC where I work)

the stuff was sick, i was snapping shots left and right.

i'll post the video of the guy staining the top of a guitar in a bit.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Very Cool Man!

Thanks for taking the time to give us this virtual tour.

Why is that guy in one of the first pics texting away on his cell phone? Seems rude.

that is the main buyer for sam ash believe it or not. he's a good guy, has helped me out a bunch. i never noticed him in the pic before, i just saw a nice tele.

and you are welcome.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Freaking epic! As far as the guy texting, I'm sure he was a bit bored. They work at this factory every day, and it probably wasn't his turn to talk.

EDIT: when I first saw the title, I thought it was about PRS through a Marshall

well i wanted people to know there was vintage content. i can see why you thought that.

yea, texting guy is a sam ash employee.

Quote by AcousticMirror
wut 98 percent. going to canada to have a talk with a certain fellow. brb.

picking up cubans?

Quote by forsaknazrael
Yer so gud to us greg

i've been wanting to do this thread for some time. just finally got around to it.

Quote by justinb904
that sexy red guitar in the third to last pic...

OH MY GAWD!
I would smite an entire city if that's what stood between me and a guitar so beautiful

that thing was so sweet. i was going to take the pic and they closed the case, i was like NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! so they opened it for me. i forget who it was going to but it was an artist that ordered it.

Quote by stratman_13
Damnit Greg, now I want a PRS even more.

sorry man, it's good to see how they make these things though isn't it?

sold my ass on them.
Quote by rokket2005
and

So when's your 2nd 513 coming?

there was one day where they offered quilt tops on the 25th anny guitars. i spoke to my guy and said nah. then i realized my mistake and emailed him so he would have the message in the am. by the time the am came, no more available.

so i told him that as soon as he hears that they will do quilt mccarty guitars, i'm first in line.

this will be my only 513.
Holy ****ing shit. As if your last thread wasn't PRSy enough. So many beautiful instruments. And you are so good to us. There is no doubt about that. I am seriously GASing now... bad.
Greg....how come you get the special treatment. I've got no backplate. My guitar was ordered like a day after yours. Is paul hunting unicorns again.
The resonance speech was basically a lesson in "how to make a good resonant guitar"

One of the most important things, and least considered is..
a hefty sturdy bridge. look closely at a prs wrap around. it's very similar to the wrap around that ted mccarty patented. the string goes through it, and touches it on about half of the surface of the bridge. that transfers vibration through the entire instrument. but it's not unique to prs guitars. any good solid bridge with MASS will do this.

Look at the bridge on this yamaha

it's obviously larger than most TOM bridges you see on lesters. there is a reason for that.

heaping gobloads of sustain.

also, another very important but less credited contributor is the NUT! Anyone who has upgraded a nut can attest to this.

then you get into the types and quality of the woods used.

some people (usually people with carbon fibre guitars) will say the wood makes no difference audible to humans. i'm leaving that one alone. my belief is the wood matters, a shitton.

Quote by patbuck2
Holy ****ing shit. As if your last thread wasn't PRSy enough. So many beautiful instruments. And you are so good to us. There is no doubt about that. I am seriously GASing now... bad.

start selling your stuff dude. i sold gear and paid for my mccarty with gear i really wasn't using.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Greg....how come you get the special treatment. I've got no backplate. My guitar was ordered like a day after yours. Is paul hunting unicorns again.

did you talk to steve? did it come in and ship out? i'll text him and let you know what he says. it may be on the way to you.
I got a TUSQ nut on my Strat. That could be what differentiates it from every other. And I agree, wood makes all the difference when separating a good guitar from a great guitar.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I talked to him already. He says he's waiting for it. I still hold you responsible!!!!?!!@#
Quote by gregs1020
the stuff was sick, i was snapping shots left and right.

i'll post the video of the guy staining the top of a guitar in a bit.

Believe me you can do practically anything you want with a CNC and if you have the right tools. You could basically carve a picture into the top if you wanted. And 5-axis CNCs = sh*t bricks dude. Programming is beyond complicated on those though and I've never used one.

I'm hoping to be able to do the inlays and everything once I get enough time to put it all together.
awesome!
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by ChrisBW
Believe me you can do practically anything you want with a CNC and if you have the right tools. You could basically carve a picture into the top if you wanted. And 5-axis CNCs = sh*t bricks dude. Programming is beyond complicated on those though and I've never used one.

I'm hoping to be able to do the inlays and everything once I get enough time to put it all together.

agreed. i've worked around CNC's most of my adult life.

Quote by AcousticMirror
should I buy a cnc machine.

well you have guitars you don't know how to play so why not?

j/k

well i checked and yours has not arrives as of today. so it will likely be there monday. they probably had others coming off the line going to SA is my guess but that's it. so i would say monday is likely.

Quote by iampeter
thanks for the lesson

my pleasure.
Quote by AcousticMirror
should I buy a cnc machine.

I'm not sure how much the cheaper ones are but it's not exactly something you just go out and buy lol. A huge part of it is learning to program and all the little kinks of your machine just takes a lot of time and patience.
I'd recommend a few of those actually. Breed them for a personal army also.
Uhgg thanks for the new gas, I went into look at a PRS this afternoon from your other thread. but seriously thanks for putting up these awesome pics
And if I don't see ya, in a long, long while

I'll try to find you

Left of the dial
Page 1 of 3