That's basically my question.

Why do companies like mesa, engl, and orange charge so much for their 4x12 speaker cabs? I mean compared to the cost of getting a custom cab done for half the price from companies like vader, lopo, and zilla? Is it purely for the name?

I guess some of the companies say their cabs are made to sound good with their amps but to me it sounds like a gimmick.

Please share your thoughts.
Last edited by uberwigget at Jul 29, 2010,
The brand.

But dont forget they also use very high qulaity Birch wood. Great speakers and very well tried and tested combinations of speakers.

Also because they will come with great warrenties and customer support.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
wut. half price?? where?

http://www.vadercabinets.com/ - 700. with eminence legends which are cheaper then v30s.
http://www.zillacabs.com/4x12cabs.html 250-350 pounds 75 pounds per speaker = 650 pounds
http://www.lopoline.com/catalog/item/4254823/4171521.htm 720 with 4 v30s.

Unless companies have started charging 1500 for their cabs I don't get it the half price?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Tom 1.0
The brand.

But dont forget they also use very high qulaity Birch wood. Great speakers and very well tried and tested combinations of speakers.

Also because they will come with great warrenties and customer support.

Ah you bring good points. I guess it boils down to whether or not you want the name and support or not.

@ AcousticMirror
Well maybe I used half price too loosely. To me $300- 400 is a significant difference in price.
wut

http://www.humbuckermusic.com/or4xslancabi1.html 1099.

are you in oz? if so, i'm so sorry.

Only the loponline comes with v30s at 720 not including shipping.
Humbucker has the orange for 1099 with free shipping.

Some companies overcharge for their cabs. A marshall jcm lead is like 1099 new. Those are absolutely a ripoff compared to an orange or mesa cab. The lopo is alright. It's about the same quality as avatar. Orange and mesa are better built though for sure.
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Jul 29, 2010,
An Orange 4x12 straight is $1100 and slant is $1150.

Anywho, wood is expensive, especially good stuff. And flat. And speakers ain't cheap either. And labor.

I make cabinets (regular cabinets not speaker cabs), you'd be surprised how much they cost.

Edit: My bad, pricing on those orange cabinets is switched.
I have a huge fear if rays.
Last edited by ChrisBW at Jul 29, 2010,
Quote by captaincran
1500?dude,an.orange.4X12.is.over.2grand

where exactly are you shopping?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Orange-Amplifiers-PPC-Series-PPC412A-240W-4x12-Guitar-Speaker-Cabinet?sku=424072

$1100 US
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Well would you all say all of the big name companies are of much better quality than the smaller boutique companies that make only cabs? Because if not, your once again only paying for the name and support.

Just wanting to hear opinions.
They're not bad really(cheaper cabs), but I mean, Orange cabs are really nice.
Yeah i've only heard good things about the orange cabs but if I can get a brand new custom cab and save me ~~~$400, then I dont see why I'd go the extra mile.
i mean their just better. a custom from those companies isn't as good. They sound fine but it's the same with everything if you need to save the money then save the money. trade up later if you want.
Quote by uberwigget
Yeah i've only heard good things about the orange cabs but if I can get a brand new custom cab and save me ~~~$400, then I dont see why I'd go the extra mile.

Plus they are just straight up secksy as hell
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
You can tolex a cab with anything. It's the wood and construction that counts.

Avatar and lopo are all a few steps above the budget guitar center lines for sure but....
Just looking at the gc website

HK 412 -1700 - Overpriced even though it does have 4 g12ms.
Soldano Lucky 13 - 1275 - You can't get his custom speakers otherwise but still a bit over priced.
Orange, Mesa, Fryette - Best of the production cabs with thd not far behind
Everything else below that.

I'd say really only the orange and mesa are worth the money. Mesa's you can find for 400-450 used. Oranges are a bit harder since they are rarer. The avatar at least is better then everything I didn't list out but not nearly as good as the Orange and Mesa. If you only need a 212 check out the jet city 212 its on sale for like 270 which isn't bad.

The next tier of custom cabs is like stoneage, mills acoustic, hermida and those are on par with the boutique brand cabs like CAA, Bogner etc. Then you get some speciality ported designs like Port City, DrZbest etc etc.

I've owned 2 avatar 212s and they definitely are not bad cabs. They are however, thinner, less sturdy and lighter then any of the cabs I own now. Their bass response isn't as good with the same speakers and they are a bit muffled. But at the end of the day it's just how much your willing to pay.

I really think everything below orange is just about the same and you should just try to find the best deal that you can and upgrade later.
What type of cabs did you own AM? Just curious if you had the vintage vs contemporary or whatever.
Keep in mind that amp companies are also not selling their cabs direct, so you have additional freight, storage, and markup costs along the way. A Mesa cab is made by Mesa, goes to a warehouse, goes to a distributor, goes to a warehouse, goes to a store, then goes to you. A custom cab gets made, goes in a box, and gets shipped to your front door with no middlemen.
Quote by jpnyc
Keep in mind that amp companies are also not selling their cabs direct, so you have additional freight, storage, and markup costs along the way. A Mesa cab is made by Mesa, goes to a warehouse, goes to a distributor, goes to a warehouse, goes to a store, then goes to you. A custom cab gets made, goes in a box, and gets shipped to your front door with no middlemen.

Ya, you definitely save money by going custom, but the sweet spot is spending about a 1000 I think. That way you get all of the benefits without the middleman. The CAA/Bogner 412 which I sold to my buddy is actually really good. It's hand made by one dude's shop in California. Avatar doesn't actually make cabs they just source a shit-ton of them from from somewhere.

Quote by ChrisBW
What type of cabs did you own AM? Just curious if you had the vintage vs contemporary or whatever.

I had 2 traditional custom 212s one open back and one convertible back.