Hi all,
So I was just wondering, would it be worth upgrading the pickups in my Ibanez RGA42 sometime in the future? I mean from what I've gathered its definitely not worth doing until I have a better amp (I have a modelling amp), and was thinking whether or not it'd just be a waste and I'd be better off just getting a new better guitar with some built-in?

Your thoughts please
Cheers

P.S. I wasn't exactly sure if this was against the rules or not, so apologies if it is.
I have the same guitar and I'm running it through a roland cube 30x (modelling amp), and I'm planning on installing EMGs in the future when I buy a decent tube amp, I suggest that you do the same

adding EMGs might even make your tone worse, or at least your cleans (since you don't have a tube amp)

What's your amp?
Not really. I can't totally picture an RGA42, but something tells me that's a hardtail RG, but them EMG's will cost you what, roughly $230 after tax/shipping?

Then to get them put in might cost you another $50 depending on where you get it done.

Soooo it might just be better to get a new guitar with EMG's in it, and usually that's the case.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Not really. I can't totally picture an RGA42, but something tells me that's a hardtail RG, but them EMG's will cost you what, roughly $230 after tax/shipping?

Then to get them put in might cost you another $50 depending on where you get it done.

Soooo it might just be better to get a new guitar with EMG's in it, and usually that's the case.

It's a 500$ Ibanez with Active pickups (Ibanez high-output actives), comes with an active-EQ switch ...

If he likes the wizard's neck and the hard tail (it has a good bridge BTW), then I don't see why buying a new guitar would be better for him.

Edit: the point is, if the guy wants an Ibanez neck and a hard tail, then this model is probably the best Ibanez hard-tail under 1000$.
Last edited by Tyraziell at Jul 29, 2010,
Quote by Tyraziell
It's a 500$ Ibanez with Active pickups (Ibanez high-output actives), comes with an active-EQ switch ...

If he likes the wizard's neck and the hard tail (it has a good bridge BTW), then I don't see why buying a new guitar would be better for him.

Edit: the point is, if the guy wants an Ibanez neck and a hard tail, then this model is probably the best Ibanez hard-tail under 1000$.

It's not going to be "better," per se. It's going to be a helluva lot easier to just get a guitar with a thin neck and EMG's. ESP/LTD necks are comparable to a Wizard neck and come with EMG's loaded in.

It's still going to be a process to get the EMG's in there. Don't the Ibanez active pickups run on AA batteries (I know some do)? If that's the case then he'll need to fit the 9V battery somewhere.

Regardless, it's going to cost about half the cost of the guitar to put the EMG's in it... which could be put towards a better guitar with EMG's already installed.
Yeah I thought so. Like someone said, it was one of few (if the only) hard tail Ibanez's (and ESP/LTD) available at my price range at the time and I was considering if it was worth spending any more on it or just getting a new guitar. This guitar suits me and my style brilliantly and I'd would love to get pickups with a bit extra bite when I upgrade my amp.
But I'm still not sure exactly.

Also, yeah my pickups run on two AA batteries but I hear that the battery slot can be replaced for a 9v one relatively easily.
Oh and my amp is a Peavey Vypyr 30 (I know, not brill, but I'm currently shit skint)
Last edited by ybselgo at Jul 29, 2010,
i like the hellraiser a lot and it uses emgs.
its also got coil tap so it has better cleans but you might not like the neck
Quote by ybselgo
Yeah I thought so. Like someone said, it was one of few (if the only) hard tail Ibanez's (and ESP/LTD) available at my price range at the time and I was considering if it was worth spending any more on it or just getting a new guitar. This guitar suits me and my style brilliantly and I'd would love to get pickups with a bit extra bite when I upgrade my amp.
But I'm still not sure exactly.

Also, yeah my pickups run on two AA batteries but I hear that the battery slot can be replaced for a 9v one relatively easily.
Oh and my amp is a Peavey Vypyr 30 (I know, not brill, but I'm currently shit skint)

Upgrading your amp might actually give you more bite, believe it or not.

I would just get a new guitar with EMG's in it. That way you have more tonal variety with two guitars and you have the opportunity to play in 2 different tunings in a live situation.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
It's not going to be "better," per se. It's going to be a helluva lot easier to just get a guitar with a thin neck and EMG's. ESP/LTD necks are comparable to a Wizard neck and come with EMG's loaded in.

No, they're not. In my sig alone, I have an ESP Thin U, ESP Extra Thin U, and an Ibanez Wizard II, and none of them are similar to each other. There is a noticeable difference. Not so much between the two ESP necks, but there is a massive difference between the ESP necks and the Ibanez.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Upgrading your amp might actually give you more bite, believe it or not.

I would just get a new guitar with EMG's in it. That way you have more tonal variety with two guitars and you have the opportunity to play in 2 different tunings in a live situation.

Actually, with the vypyr, I agree. It's just too smooth sounding.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I cba to get into the whole Ibanez vs whatever thing, but I'll add in this: if you has to ask about active pickups, you almost certainly don't need them. Not just that but the Vypoer 30 really is not a suitable amp to use with active pickups at all. Leave actives alone until you've got an amp that can actually get some use out of them, otherwise they'll sound worse than even the most generic stock passive pickups.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I was never a fan of actives even though I own several guitars with EMGs they really are no improvement over a good passive pups IMHO. I agree with MrFlibble actives can really sound worse than passives especially with a SS amp. I say if you want actives sell the guitar with the passives and buy one with EMGs it will save you time and money. Putting in active in a guitar with passives can cost a lot more than it's worth then if you don't like it you wasted money.
Quote by MrFlibble
I cba to get into the whole Ibanez vs whatever thing, but I'll add in this: if you has to ask about active pickups, you almost certainly don't need them. Not just that but the Vypoer 30 really is not a suitable amp to use with active pickups at all. Leave actives alone until you've got an amp that can actually get some use out of them, otherwise they'll sound worse than even the most generic stock passive pickups.

I know, dude, did you even read what I wrote? I said I'm definitely not gonna upgrade until I I get a good amp. I was just asking peeps opinions as to whether or not you think it'd even be worth it in the long run.
Also my Ibanez uses actives, so its not like it's the first time I'll have used any.

I think I've come to a conclusion. I'll wait until I have a good amp and then consider whether or not to do it.
Can anyone recommend any good amps to look at for metal/hard rock? I don't really know much in the way of amps (except modelling)
Thanks again peeps
Peavey 6505 gives you the most bang for your buck, check out the used market, if you're looking for even more then you can add up a 9 band EQ to the 6505 and you're set.

As you probably figured out by yourself, EMGs will make your tone even worse than Ibanez actives through a vypyr (especially your cleans).

RGA42 is a good guitar and it feels good to play, save up for a tube amp then you can install EMGs after that. I personally love the neck on it that's why I wouldn't buy an EMG-equipped guitar myself. but ESP/LTDs are not a bad choice at all.

Quote by Arterial
Best ibanez hardtail under 1000$?
Ibanez RGA121 Prestige.

I agree but it's a discontinued model, and buying used is not an option for me (even though I'd love to).
Quote by Tyraziell
Peavey 6505 gives you the most bang for your buck, check out the used market, if you're looking for even more then you can add up a 9 band EQ to the 6505 and you're set.

As you probably figured out by yourself, EMGs will make your tone even worse than Ibanez actives through a vypyr (especially your cleans).

RGA42 is a good guitar and it feels good to play, save up for a tube amp then you can install EMGs after that. I personally love the neck on it that's why I wouldn't buy an EMG-equipped guitar myself. but ESP/LTDs are not a bad choice at all.

I agree but it's a discontinued model, and buying used is not an option for me (even though I'd love to).

Cheers, I suppose I'll have to make some time to go annoy music shops lol
Also what exactly does a 9 band EQ do? Am I right in thinking it just gives you more control over the sound?
Quote by ybselgo
Cheers, I suppose I'll have to make some time to go annoy music shops lol
Also what exactly does a 9 band EQ do? Am I right in thinking it just gives you more control over the sound?

For future reference, the more band an EQ has is like adding details to an essay or something.

So yes, with a 9 band EQ, you will be able to alter the sound more specifically and give it more detail.