Why do so many people like Gibson SG's? To me, they are uncomftroable and it seems like the neck is out of proportion with the body. Every one I play feels like the neck is twice the thickness of the body. Why do so many people insist on playing them?
Why do people like strats?
Why do people like explorers?
Why do people like teles
Why do people like LPs

Just because they do. Not everyone is comfortable with everything. Maybe a SG isn't made for you. Maybe some people do like the thickness of the neck. Not everyone has the same taste you know.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Why do so many people like Gibson SG's? To me, they are uncomftroable and it seems like the neck is out of proportion with the body. Every one I play feels like the neck is twice the thickness of the body. Why do so many people insist on playing them?

Well done you have an opinion.

Just like everyone else does.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Purely preference. Some prefer one model of guitar, some like me, like different models. Some prefer Latinas, I like Brazilians/Latinas, Blacks, and Nordic-types.

Yes?

Well...since this is an opinion-based thread...I love the chunkiness of the guitar, and there's a certain bite that I love. However, the top-heaviness led mine to its doom. It literally fell off its stand one night on its own.

effing ghosts.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
I like SGs. Its all personal preference. ive never actually found a guitar that i find truly uncomfortable to play, but thats just me
Everyone has an opinion. What feels right and comfortable to you could feel completely wrong and uncomfortable to someone else. I personally don't like the feel of Ibanez electrics.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
It's all personal feel. I love having a thick neck where i can wrap around and feel it. I can't stand guitars with necks like Ibanez where they try to be thin as physically possible. Actually, SGs have some of the most comfortable and playable necks IMO.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
I wouldnt mind the guitar so much if the body wasnt so thin, it just doesnt feel right when the neck is twice the thickness of the actual guitar
Preference, I can't stand SGs or Razorbacks myself, but I love me some Jackson Flying Vs or BC Rich guitars.
Well we are discusses this, I always thought it strange that SGs attractive some smaller guitar players. I mean, I know that SG's are a tiny bit smaller but ehh
Quote by genghisgandhi
Your mom had a botched abortion, and you were the result.

Need a laugh?
Quote by MetaIronForce

._______________
||
|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|
|__LOLOMETER__|

That deserved a lolmeter

Well, I find mine a little uncomfortable to play sitting down(MLs are my thing to play sitting down, classical or other-way they're comfy for me. =P), but I love the tone I get out of it, and for jumping around onstage it's amazing, it's so light(well, at least Gibby ones are, Epi ones seem to weigh a ton...x_x).
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Why do people like the SG so much? Well...

a.) Great looks
b.) Great playability
c.) Great tones
d.) Great pedigree
e.) Excellent resale value if you decide to part with it
f.) Long and prestigious list of guitar greats who play it

What else could you ask for?
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I love my SG. I hate razorbacks, Vs, and many others. All preference.
Put this in your signature if you've ever saved a child.

Yea thats what i thought.
Opinions are like assholes...everyone has one and they ALL STINK (well, according to me anyways. You might think they smell like roses...weirdo.)
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

I was wondering why people in GG&A keep pwning EG, now I understand
Quote by SK8RDUDE411

To me, anything that isn't similar to a 50's style LP neck is way too ****ing small.

Different strokes for different folks.

SGs are ridiculously awesome though. I can't imagine why you don't like them - they're just pure, balls-out rawk.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Why do some people prefer LCD to marijuana?
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Jul 29, 2010,
yeah its personal preference man. ive heard from some people they like paying them live because they are fairly light weight though.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Every one I play feels like the neck is twice the thickness of the body. Why do so many people insist on playing them?

Men have bigger hands than girls.
Idk. Ask Tony Iommi or Angus Young that. I think they could answer your question-

After they rocked your face off with their SG's
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
It's all preference man.
I don't like Ibanez too much, and I don't like Jackson, and Dean at all.
Also I think the strat is the most uncomfortable, and ugly body style ever made.

It's like the old saying goes; opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by SK8RDUDE411

this looks like a classic case of "i don't agree so everyone else is wrong" syndrome.

the neck being "out of proportion" as you put it, is the reason i like SGs
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 30, 2010,
IMO its awesome when your sitting down, and it has double cut so you can reach the higher frets easily.
Sounds like a les paul and its light.
Awesome guitar
Quote by SK8RDUDE411

There you go. Why do so many people like them? Because they aren't you. Stop worrying about people who are playing SGs and just play dude.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I can't see how an SG could be uncomfortable to play and they have killer looks. IMHO they are one of the most comfortable guitars to play out there. The neck is pretty fast, lower fret access is great and the guitar has great tone. I love Les Pauls but they are heavy SGs kind of fill in for a good Gibson tone with out the weight and has a similar neck.

For the life of me I can't figure out what people see in Fender guitars like Strats and Teles but to each his own. I would never own one but a lot of people seem to like them I'll buy and sell them but I doubt you'll ever see one in my collection.