ok here's the deal.

I've got my LTD EC-1000 and I've got my band. We used to play in drop A and just recently dropped a bit lower to drop G#. My guitar was professionally set up for Drop A using a some Ernie Ball 52-11 w/ a DR g-string (it is wound). Naturally since I changed my tuning, I needed to do some fine tuning, action adjustment, intonation etc...

Since Drop G# is a ridiculously low tuning for a 6 string I had to up the gauge on my strings so I went and bought an Ernie Ball 56-12 set. Cleaned her up all good, re-strung the guitar, adjusted the action to eliminate fret buzz, stretched the strings, tuned, got the tedious process of intonation out of the way. Let it sit for a while to make sure the bow in the neck didn't get crazy (which I wasn't about to touch anyways but I needed to know if I was going to have to get it set up again for the new tuning), the bow didn't change so viola I think I'm done. WRONG

Everything was seemingly fine until I noticed the stupid g-string is giving me all kinds of problems. I can tune over and over and it will say it's in tune along with the other strings but it's not. Using octave chords it sounds fine but single notes just sound off. I've stretched it multiple times, checked the intonation even more times and everything tells me it should just fine but it just doesn't sound right. Every single other string is perfect, and I'm just struggling to figure this out.

Can someone please give me some insight?
56's are not the proper gauge for that tuning you need at least a 64-70s. Because tuning to A and below with 56s is like tuning to drop C using extra light strings. Your guitar could also be the problem, some guitars aren't meant to be tuned that low, either get a 7 string or some EMG pick ups.
Quote by Kortez3000
56's are not the proper gauge for that tuning you need at least a 64-70s. Because tuning to A and below with 56s is like tuning to drop C using extra light strings. Your guitar could also be the problem, some guitars aren't meant to be tuned that low, either get a 7 string or some EMG pick ups.

I have EMGs but what does that have to do with the one string? Every single other one plays perfectly. There are tons of bands who tune that low and even lower with 6 strings so that's not the issue. It was set up perfectly for drop A and I had no problems with sloppy strings, high action, fret buzz, intonation or anything, so what's half a step going to change, especially when the neck bow hasn't changed and I've adjusted everything else accordingly? I'm not trying to sound ungrateful for the input but 64-70s on a 24.75 scale neck would be damn near impossible to play.
drop g# you gotta be ****ing kidding me hahaha

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Im assuming that you bought just a single string for the wound G, since its of a different brand, It could be that you got a bad string. Ive never had problems with DRs before, but i have bought ernie balls that wouldnt intonate properly.

Is it actually not intonating porperly? or does it just sound different? DRs usually sound brighter than most other strings. you said octaves sound fine so id say that your intonation is on. Id say that your issue has to do with the diffent construction of the different strings

I would buy a 7 string set and just throw away the high string
Quote by KenG
How do you check your intonation?

Are you asking how to do it or are you asking if I'm doing it properly?
Quote by zhunt1130
I have EMGs but what does that have to do with the one string? Every single other one plays perfectly. There are tons of bands who tune that low and even lower with 6 strings so that's not the issue. It was set up perfectly for drop A and I had no problems with sloppy strings, high action, fret buzz, intonation or anything, so what's half a step going to change, especially when the neck bow hasn't changed and I've adjusted everything else accordingly? I'm not trying to sound ungrateful for the input but 64-70s on a 24.75 scale neck would be damn near impossible to play.

I meant the whole set, and again get a new guitar, preferably a 7 string. But if its one string causing the problem, the answer is clear.
Last edited by Kortez3000 at Jul 29, 2010,
Quote by DeanRedneck
Im assuming that you bought just a single string for the wound G, since its of a different brand, It could be that you got a bad string. Ive never had problems with DRs before, but i have bought ernie balls that wouldnt intonate properly.

Is it actually not intonating porperly? or does it just sound different? DRs usually sound brighter than most other strings. you said octaves sound fine so id say that your intonation is on. Id say that your issue has to do with the diffent construction of the different strings

I would buy a 7 string set and just throw away the high string

Sorry I forgot to clarify, I used a wound DR when it was in Drop A but the set I just put on for Drop G# is all Ernie Ball and the g-string is not wound. I would have just bought a whole DR set b/c if prefer them but the stores don't exactly keep a very high stock of high gauge strings.
Last edited by zhunt1130 at Jul 29, 2010,