So, I've been living off of an acoustic guitar for the past year or so, and I'm finally going to purchase an electric!! Problem is, I won't have enough to afford both the guitar AND amp...

My plan is to get a Schecter Hellraiser and either a 6505 or Rectifier, but because I'm limited on funds, the plan is to get the guitar and a distortion pedal to play through my old Marshall MG30 until I can afford the amp. Question is; is this a good idea? What distortion pedal would be bearable? I know its a crappy Marshall, but hey, it's what I got. I've been looking at the MXR Fullbore, any other suggestions?

Thanks!!!
Budget?
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
The Barber Dirty Bomb and Hardwire TL-2 are both tremendously better than the Fullbore. This actually isn't a horrible idea. The MG has decent cleans, and will handle the pedal adequately. Just make sure you get workin' on that amp
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
I think you're better off saving the money for the amp.

Yes, with a clean sound on the MG, combined with a distortion / overdrive pedal, you may hear a tonal increase. But really, unless you spend quite a bit on the pedal itself, you're just wasting money. Frankly, you're wasting it, anyway, buying an overdrive for an MG.
Its fine, get the guitar if you have an amp ready but if you think that amp is so crappy do get a 'better' amp because that's what would ultimately affect your tone.
I would live with the MG30 as is for the moment. Get a new guitar and spend your time working on technique, then when you can afford a proper Marshall stack ( ) you can buy that and turn up loud and proud with your sweet technique.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by ibz_bucket
The Barber Dirty Bomb and Hardwire TL-2 are both tremendously better than the Fullbore. This actually isn't a horrible idea. The MG has decent cleans, and will handle the pedal adequately. Just make sure you get workin' on that amp

+1
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab