im out to buy a distortion pedal but with so many choices its proving hard to pick one.

at the moment im looking at the Boss MT-2, Boss ML-2, Electro-harmonix Metal Muff, MXR Fullbore metal and the Krank Distorus Maximus.

im after a really heavy sound, something along the lines of whitechapel, job for a cowboy, black dahlia murder sort of thing if its possible. i have a marshal 100DFX head and cab, its a solid state. i really dont mind spending a bit of money if the pedal makes me happy and is going to last me.

what do you think the best one is? and suggest some other ones if you know any other good high gain distortion pedals.
thanks
I used the MT2 for a while and its good but then i switched to the Metal Muff and its great i love it.
EHX stuff is usually pretty good.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
I hate to be the guy that says get a new amp, but yeah... but seeing that you are in Australia

The MT-2 really isn't that great. Don't have much of an opinion on any of the others except that personally I didn't like the sound of the Krank. From what I hear the digitech hardwire is pretty good.
I have a huge fear if rays.
Barber Dirty Bomb if you have to keep the Marshall. Still not gonna sound great but it'll be a slight improvement.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
just read a review on the barber bomb, it sounds good, but the reviewer said it has less gain then some of the other mainstream pedals. would it still have enough balls to sound alright playing death metal sort of stufF?
Yes. It has more than enough gain for anything.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

If you don't mind spending a bit of money is it possible to buy a new amp? I know gear in Austrailia is ridculously expensive but if you sold the head and cab along with the money you were hoping to use to buy a pedal, you could probably buy a much better amp.

It's going to be hard trying to achieve that heavy sound with your MG :/
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
haha buying a new amp isnt really an option im broke as all hell. just saving up for this pedal will probably take me a few weeks
eh metal muff is great. it performs fantastic in many details in dist.
You guys want to check out AMT Electronics pedals. Better than any of the above mentioned pedals. No really.
Meh. The AMT stuff I played was just okay. They don't hold a candle to stuff like the Dominator, Dirty Bomb, Openhaus, etc.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

ask the toyroom guitar effects guy to build you a dr boogie pedal its schematics are freely available
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Last edited by deepsal at Jun 25, 2011,
as gay as the name is, the new custom badass '78 distortion sounds pretty good.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud