I figured out what guitar im buying (a custom carvin) and here are some tips i found on the way

A nice thread on tonewoods: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1277379&page=1&pp=20
more on wood materials
http://www.jemsite.com/jem/wood.htm
http://www.theguitarsherpa.com/categories/tonewood-sound-characteristics.html

for pick ups i found it best to go to the makers web page and listen to the audio samples of their pick ups
ie. http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/
http://www.dimarzio.com/site/#/pickups/
http://www.fralinpickups.com/ (under info resources)

Bridges: if you don't want a whammy bar then string thru is a nice option to consider
if you do want a whammy a tremol no is something to consider (you can google that)
from personal experience i can only comment on the tune o matic bridge (what both of my guitars have) but i like it, its easy to set up intonation- no real complaints.

Neck: heres a couple different styles i found online somewhere
Set (good sustain- glued on neck), Bolt on (fair sustain- slightly better harmonics. Some companies do a 5 bolt on instead of a 4 bolt on), Neck Thru (great sustain- take consideration to your wood choice with the neck as it tends to dictate the overall sound of the guitar more)
&
DEEP SET! (neck is set deep into the body under or even past the neck pickup. Allowing increased sustain and the player to still have a 1 piece guitar body)

frets: i didn't know frets were available in stainless steel before using carvins online custom shop. Also in the tone wood thread it talks about frets and fretboards some

neck scale: for players wanting deeper sounds a baritone guitar may fit the need. i've seen some schecters and ibanezs with only an inch increase in neck length to some steinberger and others offering up to a 30inch scale compared to the normal 24 -25.5 inch

Guitars: used - ebay and cragslist are the most trusted places i know... you can get Carvins at a great deal there.
Only disadvantages are some scratches and a limited selection to choose from.

New: For higher priced guitars (1500 +) may need to stick to online stores (either the markers website or guitar center, musicians friend, zz sounds, etc.)

For those interested in the type of wood your guitar is made of... etc... check these out.
Carvin (they offer many options on any type of guitar) and top quality.
Warmoth is another custom site with more wood choices but to my knowledge only have bolt on guitars.
jackson also has a custom shop.
Last edited by elihu4321 at Oct 11, 2010,
play some SSH pickup config strats. and everything else you can get your hands on. dont just play guitar that "look metal" play all kinds of em
MIM Fender Strat
Ibanez AE series acoustic
Washburn Semi Hollow loaded with Di-Marzios
Main Street LP
Tama drum set
Marshall Blues-breaker 2
VOX V847 Wah
Fender Princeton chorus
o_O thats too much to read.
I skimmed through ...get yourself a PRS CE24 or an ibanez prestige.
When I bought my first real guitar I went to guitar center, and played every guitar I could find. I played mostly more expensive ones so I could get an idea of how good guitars felt, and then I picked one in my price range that felt good.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
thanks for the replies. Yeah you only need to read the first 3 paragraphs and skim through the rest (thats why i tried to put section titles, i may bold my questions to make it easier)..
i haven't played many fenders at all, none with any pick up setup other than SSS.
PRS, ESP, and Ibanez are all guitars i haven't played (i always played guitars i could afford, except for acoustic for some reason.... i love the 3000 $$ taylors )
and i know the guitars i picked all look metal but that's where i am starting, i figure they have to get it right if they're going to look it... but yes i will play ever guitar in GC (from 700-2000$$) and ask them every question from wood type to pickups, probably with every guitar i would go sooner but its too far away.

My main question for this thread is about bridges ... i've read some comments about the prestige bridge and the Floyd rose ... how bad are they with drop tunings?? and how much of a pain are they... i would learn how to use it
Last edited by elihu4321 at Jul 30, 2010,
its not that its difficult, its just a pain in the butt. if you're gonna be changing tunings a lot, you may wanna opt for a hardtail.
Yer its not economical to adjust a Floyd freuently to account for different tunings, I own a guitar with a JB in the bridge and I recommend it.
SMILE!
nice. so the JB's are pretty versatile? and what pick up do you have in the neck?
if i get a Floyd i'll probably keep it in the same tuning (after i decide on one, i have an epiphone that i will experiment with after i buy heavier strings )
Other than being a pain, do they majorly effect the guitars sound?? (if not then i will probably get one)
i know i need to try them for myself, however odds are my ears won't be able to make the difference... i am mildly tone deaf and it is hard for me to hear sound differences between different guitars and even amps--- they all sound good
yeah i like the 26.5 inch maple/walnut neck. My only dislikes are no middle pick up and that's the only color..
this may be a dumb question but can you perform a split coil with any pick up, if you do the wiring right?
The pickups has to be a 4 conductor. Most stock pickups that I have seen only have one or two. Chances are good with an Ibanez that you'll need to buy new pickups to coil split, but I've never looked inside a Prestige, so don't quote me on that.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
It sounds like you might need a Fender Strat HSS. They are gr8 for metal and have most of what you are looking for.

ron666
(just an update) if none of the stores in my state gets any ibanez prestige guitars or similar in quality im just going to build a custom carvin and if i ever get a metal band i'll buy a prestige or something with better harmonics than my carvin is going to have.
HH with splits doesn't really sound anything like HSS or HSH. HH split sounds (to my ears) more like a telecaster, while HSS or HSH sound more like strats. (in the single coil positions, obviously)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Parker Guitar!!!
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

i looked at some parkers (online only)... have you played one?
for some reason the stores in this state don't carry a nice selection of guitars.... even guitar center. If its under 6 hundred then they have a little of every brand but much over 600 and its just fender and gibson and mostly all have 22 frets.

and in response to the coil splitting i think it varies per brand. carvins are said to split well. I didn't really like schecters split coil sounds. I would choose the extra pick up rather than to spit coils
I just said parker cus it was the first thing that came to my mind but they're supposed to be very light and I'm pretty sure they have dimarzios in them.

http://www.youtube.com/user/shredguybstring#p/u
he has a couple vids with a parker
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Carvins are quite good. Bought a kit and marveled at the quality so I went back and bought a DC127.

Their pups are good for the money. I got three sets already, C22s, H22s and M22s.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
ohhhh a DC 127..... do you like it?? i was worried about pups at first (i heard you had to do a lot to change them out- because they have more pegs in them or something) but don't really care now-im sure they'll sound fine..
did you get a whammy?
and parker is the most expensive standard guitars i've found so far... i hope i get to play one one day.
Quote by elihu4321
ohhhh a DC 127..... do you like it?? i was worried about pups at first (i heard you had to do a lot to change them out- because they have more pegs in them or something) but don't really care now-im sure they'll sound fine..
did you get a whammy?
and parker is the most expensive standard guitars i've found so far... i hope i get to play one one day.

I love it and mine has a TOM bridge with string through.

It used to be hard to change pups because of the cavity size meaning you can't put covered pups in there. Now that Carvin offered covered pups (S22s) the cavities is bigger. It came with the H22s (I ordered them) then I put in the Blackouts and now the D'Activators. I put the H22s in my other guitar (not the Bolt).

Here's my babies.

I had an HSH pick guard custom made and put the C22s plus the AP11 in for my Bolt.

Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
^ very nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks, I love 'em. Never bought another guitar though I'm looking (drooling really) at the Carvin SC90.

I have another guitar I bought before the Carvins and it's a hand made. Pretty good guitar too and I've been using it for projects like swapping pups and refinishing.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
yeah if i lived in america I'd be taking a very close look at carvins too, they look great, and are great value too. Just here they're a lot more expensive (and I think they raised their prices here a lot recently), so there's not as much point. Also they're very rare here so it's hard if not impossible to actually get to try one, too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^^well i haven't seen/got to play one yet either but i don't live near many guitar players. As far as another guitar, for me, ibanez prestige is my 2nd choice (if i can ever find 1 )

nice carvins i can def tell those aren't stock carvin pups... so to be sure, you ordered the C22's and you were able to change pups easier? (i figured i may change them one day, as thats the main flaw i hear about carvin)
oh how sung is that tweed case old rocker?
Pretty snug and very nice. I got it free with my DC127.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
yea i think its only 25$$ now--- not bad
i'll get it if i go with the radiation green metallic color rather than a natural wood top (flamed Koa)