Hey guys, recently, when I've tried to play guitar, my wrist has been experiencing burning sensations and discomfort.

I was wondering if this is normal.

Are there any exercises that I could do to prevent this?

I usually play guitar in classical position with a foot rest.
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Roland Cube 30x
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
LTD Ec-1000
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
I dunno man, if you're feeling pain while playing, STOP. This could lead to serious injury and you can end up permanently damaging your wrist. See what other people say, and if you don't get any answers, talk to your doctor before playing again if the pain continues.
Hi dNWaKE, I've been playing for almost 30 years and this is definitely something that I've had to contend with. You need to be very careful and stop playing if you are experiencing any pain. You might be experiencing carpal tunnel or tendonitis. If you experience any numbness. that is carpal tunnel. It means the nerve inside your wrist is getting pinched off. You have to look at your technique. For instance, how you are holding your wrist while your are playing. If you wear your guitar really low, this can be a major problem. Randy Rhoads got around this problem by tilting his neck up really high. Suffice to say, it's not a good idea to copy Jimmy Page and sling your guitar down by your ankles, unless you are only playing the simplest of riffs. Wearing the guitar low forces you to bend your wrist which in turn creates a lot of stress. You have to remember that there are all kinds of tiny little bones inside your wrist. The ideal situation is to hold your wrist straight in relation to your forearm when you are playing more complex solo part or fingering more exotic chords which in turn requires your to wear your guitar at a reasonably high level. Watch Yngwie Malmsteen. I don't wear my guitar as high as him, but you can see the results in his amazing technique.

As far as exercise, my theory is to just keep yourself in good overall fitness with cardio and weight training. Otherwise you will lose muscle-mass. It's something that I am working on right now as I try to get back in shape. Good luck.
Hi, would using the computer a lot cause this problem? I wear my guitar fairly high and use a footstand to elevate my guitar up when I practice so I am fairly sure that it isn't my guitar posture.

i am worried if it is caused by my everyday strains on my wrist.
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Roland Cube 30x
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
LTD Ec-1000
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
you need to develop a warm up routine, similar to what a athlete would do, you just can`t dive straight in to playing.

it could be RSI but you need to speak to a doctor to get that diagnosed. some idiot is going to say carpal tunnel syndrome

use the searchbar and youtube for info on warm up techniques, start slow and build up gradually, it normally takes me 30-45 minutes before i feel i have warmed up sufficiently, the other thing could be incorrect posture.

any pain is your body telling you that it doesn`t like what you are doing and is begging you to STOP.