a while back i put on a new set of d'darrio strings on one of my guitars. left it alone for a few months
i picked up this guitar again, and found that these brand new strings that i haven't even touched, are completely rusted and unplayable.
is this normal?
You really didn’t pay much attention in science class, did you? Read the Wikipedia entries for rust and water vapor.
yes rust happens withouth you touching them its from the air with the strings
Quote by jpnyc
You really didn’t pay much attention in science class, did you? Read the Wikipedia entries for rust and water vapor.

This. Holy **** this is basic stuff.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
rust aka oxidation is a naturally occuring process from oxygen coming in contact with metal.

in lay mans terms, yes. it happens. the air does it to your strings.
Current Equipment
Jackson DXMG(Iommi)
Ibanez AEF30E
Peavey 6505+ 112
Iommi has work done to it.

On layaway:
Line 6 PODHD 300
Quote by jpnyc

if it were so common, then why arent strings rusted in the package when you buy them from the store?
Quote by sethp
if it were so common, then why arent strings rusted in the package when you buy them from the store?

they are not exposed to air man...think it throuhg buddy
moisture it's everywhere. except in a vacuum sealed pack of strings. that are individually wrapped in a paper bag that is coated to insure string life.

Guys will your pipes rust? even if you aren't touching them?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by PUNK_327
they are not exposed to air man...think it throuhg buddy

are you serious? strings come in a freak'n paper envelope. i hardly think that a paper envelope is hermetically sealed.
so a rolled up string in a sealed paper envelope that is coated on the inside and put inside a box and then wrapped with plastic is exposed to the same amount of oxidization as a string unwound and laid out across a guitar and then left in a room.

hrmmm I see what you're getting at.
Quote by sethp
are you serious? strings come in a freak'n paper envelope. i hardly think that a paper envelope is hermetically sealed.

Do you buy the same D'Addarios that I do? Because they definitely come in a sealed plastic bag. And even the ones like GHS that are in envelopes are still in a sealed plastic bag that's wrapped around the individual envelopes.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
i just put a paper bag over my head and it was hard to breath. i can't figure out why.
There's a plastic bag inside that sleeve of paper...
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
thread fail.
Guitars:
94' Epiphone Les Paul Honeyburst
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Unless you've got depleted uranium laced strings they are going to rust

I don't think you know just how often you're supposed to be replacing strings.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
They're going to rust, need water and oxygen to rust. Since life exists on Earth, theres definitely oxygen, and because its never 0% humidity, there is your water. Now, i could go into the redox reaction behind it, but since you don't grasp that oxygen is present in the air, I won't.

In the bag, they will either be vacuum packed, or, like most other strings, packed in a heated environment where the humidity is close to zero. Not only that, the foil on the inside of the package acts as a sacrificial anode, and will oxidise before the strings do if water was indeed present.

Nickel wound strings won't rust if i recall because Nickel has a higher reduction potential that water, though I could be wrong with this.
What a sad indictment of the education system. Steel rusts when exposed to air but not when sealed in an airtight bag? Who woulda thunk?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification