Page 1 of 2
What's better as why?
I'm willing to save for either of them, but cheaper the better

I play heavy music - pop punk and alternative
I need clear high gains and beautiful cleans

I also use pedals and such because sometimes you just can't get tha specific sound out of an amp

I like great highs and deep bass
But I don't ont play heavy music so versatility Is necessary!!

Thanks =]
harmony central reviews.
we all have put the time into doing a little reading ourselves. that site will give you all the info about all of them and more.

deep bass is dual rec
great highs are JSX
Real Budget? AS in whats the absoluate max you are willing to spend on it?
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Not the 6505, thats more metal. The Recto's are more metal. I would recommend the JSX. It doesn't suit me well, but I'm confident you would enjoy it!
I have a XXX combo and it's exactly what your looking for. Since it's the EFX model, I only have one pedal as well. I generally keep bass and treble at ten and mid at around ten o clock and it's perfect tone. I also play everything, and this thing is just beautiful. I haven't played the xxx with seperate head and cab, but I think I've played the JSX, which is similar and I liked the xxx better.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Exotic Wood Series Acoustic- Burled Maple
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
ditch the roadster and recto and pick up a used road King combo. they run from 1300-1600 and have some of the mesa cleans tones. 4 channels. Check out ebay and GC used. Makes the JSX fail in comparison.
Ibe been on harmony all night haha but it just seems that it's so different like very review. Dio what do you mean? Youcalled them both more metal lol. Oh and another thing about harmony it kind of made it seem like all the mesas did the same thing
There weren't alot of differences(at least pointed out)

I wouldn't spend more than somewhere around 1500 unless it was simply amazing
I would say roadster, because it's like,#1: good clean channel, almost breakup, #2: Brit grit, moderate gain. #3/#4: Dual Rec distortion!

It's like you have a Lonestar, Stiletto and Dual Rec in 4 channels, in one amp!

If I could, I'd get that.
roadster will do it all. the cleans on that thing are incredible. just because it says dual rectifier on it doesn't mean it lives to the stereotype of poor cleans and all out dirt. its actually good enough for blues.

but why not also include a mark series amp in the list? those can ACTUALLY do it all, and do it like no other amp can.
TS: then look no further than a Road King. Its the Roadsters bigger brother with better cleans.
Best answer is just to go plug into both of them (or similar amps - look for tube type and number, etc in deciding what is most similar) at shops and see what gives you what you like.

The reason all the reviews are so different is because they are both great amps, but for people with different tastes. Quality wise you will not go wrong with either, but as far as what sound works for you, only you can decide.
What's the mark series? I've played a dual rec once and loved the gain, and I played the roadster combo and liked the gain but it was like, lacking? Maybe cuz it's tube or it could be my ear. I have been doing slot of experimenting with tone and eq and sch that my ear is really wacked out!
I don't have the luxury of trying them all cuz nowhere aroun me has all of them. Every guitar center has the mesas(usually) but te peaveys tend to be scarce in my area
its mesa's other big amp series. They are known for their tight aggressive tone and versatility. compared to the rectos its alot tighter and not as saggy as the rectos tend to be making ti excellent for lead playing.
Well I am lead, and I just looked it up I'm gunna listen to demos but the inboard 5 band eq makes me very very happy.
The graphic EQ on the Marks it the deal maker on them. It makes the Lead Channel perfect for alot of types of music. HOwever Mark V's are 2000 bucks(1700 used), while fours are( 1100-1300 used). However The V's lead channel is disappointg sounding compared to the Iv's lead channel. And the IV's clean and first gain channel are disappointing compared to the V's clean and first gain channel.
That's so confusing! Why must finding your sound be so difficult! I love the eq and the contour knobs! Couldn't the eq also help the other channels ? Toget rid of the dissapointingness lol
The MArk IV is limited by a shared EQ which can be a gimp leg at time

TS: if you got any questions feel free to pm me. I've owned the majority of these amps at one point. I've owned a xxx for a short while, a 5150, a single recto, a jsx for 5 years, a mark IV for 4 years, a V and now a road king.
Last edited by mexican_shred at Jul 30, 2010,
I cant message u from my iPhone, i don't know why.
Would the mark v be the best bet? And based on what I've said about my playing what settings could you recommend for a peavey xxl(if you could that is) in not liking the amp recently even though I loved it so recently
If you buy a Mesa dont expect your sound to instantly fly out in a cloud of doves, it takes most people a year or so to get one dialed in exactly the way they want it. I personally would go with a Mark series, new or used. No matter which of the amps you get, be prepared to spend a good amount of time getting everything set right.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Personally I think a JSX or Recto would suit you just fine (I have a single). The recto has better cleans, the JSX cleans are kind of... brittle is a pretty good word for it. I absolutely love the gain on the JSX though.

Haven't played a Mark series or Road King before. It's really going to come down to being able to find them to try out, as hard as it can be sometimes.
I have a huge fear if rays.
The V is greta. But for the price imo there are better amps out there. Im more critical of the V's lead tone than most others but thats because i owned a V and IV at the same time and i AB'ed the V and Iv's lead tone and just couldn't jive that well with it compared to the IV. The best part of the mark V were the cleans and Rh2 channel. the rh2 was metal rhythm heaven. IV had good clean dn rh2 channels but rh2 gets some hate. My suggestion for a RoadKing Combo still stands. 4 super usable channels with their own voicing. Cleans are as good as mark V.use a tube screamer to tighten it up for leads.

xxl?

JSX wise, 3 good channels. Crunch channel is the best and most usable one. ultra has insane amount of gain and gets fizzy and brittle after 2 o clock. clean is super clean but feels super cold and sterile. Its ok at chugga chugga. better than mark IV but lead wise the mark IV and V destory it
Last edited by mexican_shred at Jul 30, 2010,
Yea I'm having major difficulties finding sounds with my peavey xxl head. And I know I have to sit with my amp. Can anyone else get lost with tweaking an amp for hours? Hell I love just rearranging my pedal board =] so the mark v is too costly and therfore not worth it?
For me. Maybe not you or others. Other say the price justifies it. Fine by me, but for me, for 2000 i was able to get a road king head, mesa 4x12 and a jet city head. For an amp which doesnt have the lead channel i came to expect from the IV the V does not deliver. lowest used price i've seen them go is 1600. still a bit much but more reasonable

If you like tweaking, mesa amps are for you lol

Never played an XXL so cant really help
oh dear god no. its an incredible amp thats worth the money for sure depending on your playing habits and how many genres you want to cover with one amp. the mark v though does every sound under the sun. thats the appeal of it. its so adaptable that it falls at home in any genre you throw at it. even if you outgrow metal for example, and more to jazz or blues or classical or god knows what, it'll still be an amp you're going to want to play.

same goes with the roadster or road king. they are just so versatile but in slightly ways. the roadster/road king are in my opinion slightly more oriented toward the heavier side of music (hard rock, metal) while the mark v is more toward things like blues, jazz, rock, alternative. both do everything amazingly well, and by no means fall short on anything. its hard to describe them. play them for yourself and take your time with settings.
Last edited by User_Name336 at Jul 30, 2010,
^best piece of advice: play them or amps super similar. Road King is like a roadster but with a better clean and low gain channel. Mark V is well a mark. its unique
I recommend getting a Baron Custom Amp. You can get it voiced to your specific type of style and has good pricing for hand built amps.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3602793/5150%20vs%20K88%20with%20Mesa%20Traditional.mp3

That's my Baron K88 vs a 5150 (6505). Then both together.

The K88 is much clearer especially live.

http://baroncustomamps.com/index.html

Check em out.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Kyle your baron sounds so sexy

Thanks dude. The cleans are superior to any other high gain amps I've played and getting something built to your needs <- $2000 is really amazing.

EDIT:

Plus wouldn't something like this on stage just look terrifyingly beautiful

Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Last edited by kylendm at Jul 30, 2010,
I'm sure Dave could work something out with you.

Hell he made a Baron XTC.

In all seriousness just email him and tell him what you want. He'll work with you.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by kylendm

In all seriousness just email him and tell him what you want. He'll work with you.

That my friend is what I call a Win Stack!!
yeah x8
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by kylendm

I despise every aspect of your existance.
*cries alone in the corner*
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive