I've been playing guitar for three years, I've also loved the English language for as long as I can remember. Also, I spent a few years in a choir where I developed my love for singing. I like to play guitar and sing simultaneously. I think you can see where this is going.

Unfortunately, I can't sing that well, at all. Due to many years of second hand smoke from both my father and and time spent abroad in Italy due to his job, my voice is permanently damaged. A few years later, I acquired a guitar and started to learn it. For the first year and a half of playing, I wasn't even remotely interested in songwriting. I immaturely thought of lyrics as merely syllables for the vocalist to mouth in place of gibberish. But now I know that lyrics can and should matter.

Recently, a friend and I have been showing our lyrics to each other. They look really promising. We going to start a band, our first practice is next week. We're going to call it 'Catching Caulfield,' after our favorite book, The Catcher in the Rye. I haven't had the heart to tell him that I don't want to anymore.

I can't sing, I don't want to be in band and not contribute lyrics, because that's what I do, but I don't anyone expressing my thoughts on behalf of me. And I definitely, don't want to be a ****ing poet. Who wants to listen to a goddamn poet? I want to express myself in a medium that I enjoy, and I can't ****ing do that. And no, lessons won't help, because my voice is ruined (thanks, dad). If I can't express myself through music the way I want, then I honestly don't see any reason to continue.
Last edited by guitarnoobie at Jul 29, 2010,
Don't underestimate the power of instrumental.
"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."

~Leonardo da Vinci
Dude, this may just involve retraining your voice. A lot of bands have vocalists who smoked or still do smoke.
rap?
but seriously your voice cant be that bad if it is make it your thing
Just cuz you don't siong doesnt mean you can't write lyrics. (I know this band isn't your cup of tea, but) Slayer's singer Tom Araya doesn't write the lyrics, but he sings them.

EDIT: Didn't read closely enough. Perhaps retrain your voice?
Just because you can't quite get to the peek of the mountain doesn't mean there aren't sights to see on the way.
i don't know why i feel so dry
just because you aren't a singer, doesn't mean you can't contribute to the lyrics.

For example, Fallout Boy's (hate that band by the way, just thought of one off the top of my head) lyrics are written by there bass player, and I'm pretty sure he's not the best singer.

I would say to find a great singer for your band, help him write the lyrics, and just stick to playing your guitar instead of singing.

Also, I'm not sure how bad the second hand smoke messed up your voice, but if it's not to bad, you could always try singing backup...
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
Musicians even in there darkest times know they can't give up their craft. I know it sounds kinda retarded but look inside yourself and i'm sure you will find that you have just lost hope don't give up on it.
Wait, I don't see a problem. Your voice may not be up to snuff, but your a good lyricist and can play. You might not be able to contribute to the chorus of a song, but otherwise, your prime to be an excellent contributor in your band.
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Vox Night Train 15W
An ever-morphing BOSS and MXR loaded pedalboard

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
With an attitude like that you're not going to get anywhere. I apologize if I sound like a jerk but you can't have it every way.

Seek a vocal instructor and get proper singing lessons.
There are plenty of successful lead singers that have done way worse to their throats.
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
Last edited by scream_it at Jul 29, 2010,
Man, this is just like reading a suicide note. Depresses me when someone wants to quit music.

I'd like to quit music too. I'm not the best guitar player, I'm not the best pianist, hell I can't sing to save my life. I struggle with reading music, disciplining myself with learning guitar techniques, and when someone plays in front of me, I feel like I'm so behind everyone. Like I should just go home, hang up the guitars forever, and quit playing. Everyone I see is so much better than me. I get rejected from bands, from people, from myself too.

But I don't quit. You know why? Because music is fun. It's a part of me. It's my lifestyle. I may not be very good at it, but I enjoy it. That's the only motivation I need to continue. If it makes you happy, do it. Just because you can't play guitar and sing for other people doesn't mean you should completely give up on music.
Quote by Amaseng
Dude, this may just involve retraining your voice. A lot of bands have vocalists who smoked or still do smoke.

100%. Don't throw in the towel on something you love unless you're absolutely certain there's nothing that can be done to remedy it. Even then, there's always another way to do what you need to do. It's just a matter of hard work in finding it.

Sometimes you have to fight hard to keep what you love. In fact, most times you do. It's pretty rare that everything fits and plays out like a fable.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
you don't have to sing like an angel to be considered a good vocalist, sometimes a harsh voice becomes the signature sound of the band, and besides, if what you seek is to deliver a message through your music, it is the quality of the message that will bring you a fan base, not how well you can sing.

Basically, just go for it man, you only live once, don't spend that time in regret
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Lemmy of Motorhead...listen to him
That is all
Quote by genghisgandhi
Your mom had a botched abortion, and you were the result.

Need a laugh?
Quote by MetaIronForce

._______________
||
|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|
|__LOLOMETER__|

That deserved a lolmeter

Quote by sites.nick
just because you aren't a singer, doesn't mean you can't contribute to the lyrics.

For example, Fallout Boy's (hate that band by the way, just thought of one off the top of my head) lyrics are written by there bass player, and I'm pretty sure he's not the best singer.

I would say to find a great singer for your band, help him write the lyrics, and just stick to playing your guitar instead of singing.

Also, I'm not sure how bad the second hand smoke messed up your voice, but if it's not to bad, you could always try singing backup...

To the people who suggested the "just write lyrics for someone else" option: I don't want someone to pass off my thoughts and feelings as their own.
dude....SHUT UP!!

Stop feeling sorry for your self and crap...and just do it. Having a bad voice does not mean you cant be a singer and with practice it can get better. You have to find your niche and fill it. Expressing your self is not about other people.

but If you want to quit then quick and leave us out of it!
Quote by Eastwinn
Just because you can't quite get to the peek of the mountain doesn't mean there aren't sights to see on the way.

Quote by c_foster88
Don't underestimate the power of instrumental.

Best advice in the whole thread.
Quote by guitarnoobie
To the people who suggested the "just write lyrics for someone else" option: I don't want someone to pass off my thoughts and feelings as their own.

Sometimes you're just gonna have to compromise some things in order to keep doind what you want to do.

Now if you really don't like playing music anymore, go ahead and quit, you may regret it later, but you may not. But if you do still enjoy playing music, being able to sing shoudn't matter, you should be able to find ways around any problems you might come up with.

Quote by RR3tran
I'd like to quit music too. I'm not the best guitar player, I'm not the best pianist, hell I can't sing to save my life. I struggle with reading music, disciplining myself with learning guitar techniques, and when someone plays in front of me, I feel like I'm so behind everyone. Like I should just go home, hang up the guitars forever, and quit playing. Everyone I see is so much better than me. I get rejected from bands, from people, from myself too.

But I don't quit. You know why? Because music is fun. It's a part of me. It's my lifestyle. I may not be very good at it, but I enjoy it. That's the only motivation I need to continue. If it makes you happy, do it. Just because you can't play guitar and sing for other people doesn't mean you should completely give up on music.

+1 This guy is making the best out of what he has, he doesn't let any of the problems he's having beat him, he's sticking with it.
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
Lots of great bands have all or some members write the lyrics: Bob Daisley did for Ozzy, Steve Harris does for Iron Maiden, Nikki Sixx does for Motley Crue. You can still be in a band and contribute lyrics and not sing. I think you should try to sing because a lot of famous singers have very distinct voices that make them original and set them apart from others.

Inb4 Cool blog bro.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
It's not the worst thing in the world. Sure, you won't be able to sing your lyrics, but you can also think of it as having someone with better ability to sing your lyrics. But the preference depends on the person. It's not the end of the world.

Beethoven was deaf. He still made music.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK