I'm looking for a new amp. It needs to be a combo amp, tube, and it needs enough volume for a small gig at a bar or something. My budget is probably $600, give or take a few. So far I've been looking at the Bugera V22 combo. Good choice? Any suggestions?
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
I actually just bought the Bugera V22 two days ago for $350. I love it, even more so than my Marshall half stack. The clean tones you can get from it are beautiful and even on distorted it has great crunch and tone. I would recommend it.
-Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Deluxe
-1958 Korina Epiphone Explorer (w/ Seymour Duncan SH-4 & SH02n Pickups)
-Marshall AVT 150 Half Stack
-POD X3 Live Multi Effects Pedal
Other than the fact there is only one channel, I've got no complaints about my Kustom Defender. Nice cleans and obviously I like it's fuzz ability.
Fulltone 69 fuzz
Skreddy Pink Flesh
GNI Multi fuzz w/ distortion
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah
EH Microsynth
Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe
Kustom Defender 50
With Bugera's reputation, buy 2 so you have a backup.

It sounds good, but I ended up preferring a used Marshall JVM halfstack over the Bugera. Of course, even the beat-up 1960a cab for it cost more than the new Bugera. And I had to buy a trailer to haul it around (needed it for drums anyway).

BTW, the combo amp for the digital drums is a 300 watt Behringer (same company as Bugera) and I haven't had any problems with it.

For your budget I'd recommend a used all-tube Peavey.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Jul 30, 2010,
mesa boogie maverick

it has beautiful cleans and good distortion, while not suitable for metal. It has two channels and it gets really loud and if you look used you might get it for that price

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp8Hzy8QlJA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mln2QomXbIM&feature=related
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Silly me, I forgot to tell you which styles I play!

The heaviest that I play is early Metallica and some Bullet For My Valentine, so I'd want something with a decent amount of gain, although I do have an overdrive pedal.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
Quote by jetwash69
For that music, save up and buy a used Mesa Boogie Mark IV combo.

That's double his budget...

I'd say go for a Jet City Amps JCA50 or JCA20 combo. The V22 doesn't get very high gain.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta

I'd say go for a Jet City Amps JCA50 or JCA20 combo. The V22 doesn't get very high gain.

I wasn't all that impressed with the gain from the JCA20. I just wasn't a fan of the whole amp in general even though I've seen it get a lot of hype. I didn't give it much of a play though. I'll have to try another sometime.

I'd say go for a V22 and an OD pedal, but that's just me.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
The Mesa is worth saving up for.

If I hadn't just bought my Marshall JVM half stack, I would have bought the Mesa Mark IV I saw in a guitar shop in Dallas a few months ago. Would have saved me the It was going for $1,000, but I've seen them as low as $800 before. It is complicated and counterintuitive, though. But I wouldn't have had to buy a trailer to lug around the cab.
Blackstar Studio 20, its a nice little amp for $600. I'm not a metal player, but I've seen video's on youtube of people playing some heavy stuff.
www.myspace.com/thestalkingbutlers

Holy Knight of the Crusading Order of the Stratocaster.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
Quote by JayT44
I wasn't all that impressed with the gain from the JCA20. I just wasn't a fan of the whole amp in general even though I've seen it get a lot of hype. I didn't give it much of a play though. I'll have to try another sometime.

I'd say go for a V22 and an OD pedal, but that's just me.

See this thread: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1336069&page=1

Sounds pretty metal to me.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta

Wow. That's with no pedals? I wasn't using it for very long, so I didn't tweak it around too much. Plus I was in a Guitar Center, didn't have a chance to really crank it.

If I get the opportunity to play it again, I'll definitely give it a shot.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by Raijouta

I have the JCA20, great amp. i second this recommendation
Gibson RawPower SG 2009 (Zales)
Gibson Hummingbird 70's? (Amy)
Jet City JCA 20 Watt Combo
Dunlop Crybaby wah
MXR 10 Band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
To all those who are watching this thread LOOKING for advice, I decided to get a Marshall stack, with a 50 watt Marshall MA50H head. It has more than enough gain for what I play (Steve Vai, early Metallica, BFMV, other thrash metal), plus the amp has a boost setting which is perfect for solos.

I just felt that the Jet City didn't have enough gain. Excellent classic rock sound, but simply not enough gain for what I play.

Quote by theogonia777