Poll: Should I go on a Mission? (please read first)
Poll Options
View poll results: Should I go on a Mission? (please read first)
Yes
21 11%
No
171 89%
Voters: 192.
Page 1 of 4
First off, actually listen to my reasons for possibly going or not going on a mission, don't just answer based on what you think about mormons (even though I'm pretty sure a lot of you will).

I'm not exactly sure how I feel about mormonism, I think a lot of it sounds good, but a lot of it doesn't. So basically the problem I'm having is should I serve a mission or not.

If I do serve a mission, I will be giving up 2 years of my life for something I don't really belive in. I don't want to go, but I'm kind of forced into it, my parents are not going to help put me through college unless I do, which I can get around just by making them think I plan on going for my first year, and after that just simply not go, but if I do that, my family will completely disown me.

If I do end up not going, how am I going to tell them without being "disowned". My whole family is strictly Mormon, and the few people who aren't I haven't even heard of.

So basically, my options are 1. Wasting 2 years of my life, but keeping my relationship with my family or 2. Giving up my family and doing what I want to do.
Quote by 20cdndollars
That's a tough choice, man. Would your parents seriously be THAT hard on you if you didn't do it?

Yup, my Dad pretty much did the same thing to his own brother for deciding not to be a Mormon. I haven't seen my Uncle since.
i would say no. who cares what your family thinks, what matters is what you really want. if you dont want to then dont. you make the decisions in your life not your family
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
If they disown you for not going the Mormon way can you really call them parents? If you don't want to do it don't do it.
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
That sucks man.

I'm so glad my family isn't pushing me to go on a mission.

I still haven't told them I'm atheist.

Anyways...If you don't believe in it, don't do it.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Last edited by Gyroscope at Jul 30, 2010,
Voted no, why waste two years of your life on something that you don't believe in.
Quote by nbur4556
Yup, my Dad pretty much did the same thing to his own brother for deciding not to be a Mormon. I haven't seen my Uncle since.

Jesus, man. That's crazy. I don't think anyone here can make that choice for you.

If I was you I'd probably just do it, I mean, in the long run, 2 years isn't really /that/ much, but something like that might change you. If you don't go to college, it's pretty hard to make any kind of money, and not having parents would be pretty hard.
I am Mormon as well and I have decided not to take a 2 year extended religious vacation. I don't really believe in the cause so why should I go teach it? If you really don't believe then why should you teach it? I don't know why in the Mormon church they put so much pressure on young men to go on a mission. Really I'm sure your family will still like you if you decide not to go. There is nothing worse than wasting your time doing something you don't enjoy.
My personal feelings of Mormonism aside, don't do it.

If your family truly loved you, they would accept you for who you are. If they are willing to disown you in the name of, well, religion, they are not worth having in your life.

I know that sounds terrible, but wasting these two years could ruin the rest of your life. Get student loans and go to college. I know it will be economically tough, but the key to rising above your upbringing is education.

I know I sound like a mean bastard, but I'm honestly trying to help you.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Quote by nbur4556
First off, actually listen to my reasons for possibly going or not going on a mission, don't just answer based on what you think about mormons (even though I'm pretty sure a lot of you will).

I'm not exactly sure how I feel about mormonism, I think a lot of it sounds good, but a lot of it doesn't. So basically the problem I'm having is should I serve a mission or not.

If I do serve a mission, I will be giving up 2 years of my life for something I don't really belive in. I don't want to go, but I'm kind of forced into it, my parents are not going to help put me through college unless I do, which I can get around just by making them think I plan on going for my first year, and after that just simply not go, but if I do that, my family will completely disown me.

If I do end up not going, how am I going to tell them without being "disowned". My whole family is strictly Mormon, and the few people who aren't I haven't even heard of.

So basically, my options are 1. Wasting 2 years of my life, but keeping my relationship with my family or 2. Giving up my family and doing what I want to do.

I'm sorry.. but you're parents are ideological morons who are forcing their religion on you and rejecting everything you believe in. They're stripping you of your freedom. Don't serve that mission thing/whatever, I wouldn't want to deal with a family who would disown me just because I refused to be stripped of my freedom and everything I believe in
that's seriously f*cked up if they disown you for having different beliefs than them. tell them that.
_b l/ink youreyes /1 for yes 2 fo_r n o
can you pay for college on your own? I'm assuming no, so I'd do it. We all gotta do shit we don't want to sometimes.
i think you can make it on your own, you don't need that church or that family
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by lzcougarz3
can you pay for college on your own? I'm assuming no, so I'd do it. We all gotta do shit we don't want to sometimes.

I could get through college on loans and stuff, but it would be hard, and I would go into a ton of debt, the biggest problem is the whole parents conflict thing.
Quote by Spartan070sarge
My personal feelings of Mormonism aside, don't do it.

If your family truly loved you, they would accept you for who you are. If they are willing to disown you in the name of, well, religion, they are not worth having in your life.

I know that sounds terrible, but wasting these two years could ruin the rest of your life. Get student loans and go to college. I know it will be economically tough, but the key to rising above your upbringing is education.

I know I sound like a mean bastard, but I'm honestly trying to help you.

This. And I think the poll speaks for itself.
Going on the mission might help you decide what you feel about being a Mormon, since it sounds like you're not that sure about it. But if you know for sure that you don't want to go, don't go.
cat
I agree with Spartan and cheesehead: If your family really loves you, then they shouldn't reject you for having different beliefs. If I were you, I'd join the Military, serve my four years, and take advantage of the G.I. Bill. But, not everyone is the Military type. I wouldn't go for student loans, because you'll be stuck with the payments for the rest of your life, and you can't bankrupt out of them (make sure that you read and understand something before you sign it). It would be tough, but, if you have some job skills, you might be able to make some money on your own. Or, try to win a scholarship. If all else fails, then I'm sure that your dad would accept it if you came back in a few years...
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I can't believe this.
This isn't something you ask on an internet forum where 80% of the population are atheist teens.
This is something you need to talk about to your parents/family and your bishop/stake-president.

I'll say this though. Two years to keep a family relationship seems like a good idea. Personally, I'd give a whole lot more to stay on good terms with my folks.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Best of luck to you, TS. You should seriously look into need-based scholarships, and keep in mind that student loans are being reformed in an attempt to stop people from going broke over paying for college.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
I mean...its not like you HATE Mormonism...maybe you could just do it, learn some things about yourself, go to school, then later consider dropping the Mormon thing? Or you're gonna have to grow up real quick and be on your own I guess. But at least you won't spend 2 years on a stupid Mormon mission X_X
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Quote by Baby Joel
I can't believe this.
This isn't something you ask on an internet forum where 80% of the population are atheist teens.
This is something you need to talk about to your parents/family and your bishop/stake-president.

I'll say this though. Two years to keep a family relationship seems like a good idea. Personally, I'd give a whole lot more to stay on good terms with my folks.

Way to stereotype. I'm not an atheist, and I'm advising him not to go.

Why should he jump through hoops for people who are so willing to abandon him? Also: imagine teaching something you don't believe in. The mission is ultimately to spread the Mormon faith, correct? Why would you want to spread it if you don't believe in it? I disagree with religious mission trips in their entirety. If it was honestly about helping people, it would be secular. Religious organizations use mission trips as vehicles to propel their own agendas.

Quote by John Frusciante
If you really don't want to go, then don't go, talk it over with your parents or whomever, but if you absolutely don't want to, then don't.

I have a cousin that wasn't a "practicing" mormon, but did the mission because he was basically in the same situation you are in. And although he doesn't practice the mormon faith, he says that he learned a lot and actually enjoyed doing it, and that it helped him a lot. So, there's that.
Si lo ven que viene palo al tiburon
Vamos a darle duro sin vacilacion
Si lo ven que viene palo al Tiburon
En la union esta la fuerza y nuestra salvacion

I'm gonna break the chain here and suggest that you consider going. Even though you don't really share the same beliefs as your family, this mission could be a real learning experience.

Granted, two years is a long time. But if it will get your parents to pay for your college, I'd absolutely say it's worth it.
Quote by MakinLattes
where's your calling?

I don't have a calling, haven't turned in my papers and all that stuff...
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Way to stereotype. I'm not an atheist, and I'm advising him not to go.
I guess you're in the 20% then.

Why should he jump through hoops for people who are so willing to abandon him? Also: imagine teaching something you don't believe in. The mission is ultimately to spread the Mormon faith, correct? Why would you want to spread it if you don't believe in it? I disagree with religious mission trips in their entirety. If it was honestly about helping people, it would be secular. Religious organizations use mission trips as vehicles to propel their own agendas.

And I say that he should talk about it to people who know about it, instead of an internet forum, which, if not 80% atheist, is incredibly and vastly anti-Mormon.
it's all coming back

Quote by nbur4556
I don't have a calling, haven't turned in my papers and all that stuff...

aww...

anyway, I say go for it. it'll be a great experience if your mission is out of the country.

you don't have to go to college immediately, it's not as if you'll miss the opportunity if you go on a mission.

then again, my grandma excommunicated when she was 14, and she still maintained family ties.
Quote by Baby Joel
And I say that he should talk about it to people who know about it, instead of an internet forum, which, if not 80% atheist, is incredibly and vastly anti-Mormon.

I am talking about it to a lot of people, not just on internet forums, I wanted to post it here mostly to see what everyone thinks about it, but this isn't really a decision maker for me, mostly looking at options I have.

Also, if anyone has been in a situation like this before, and decided not to go, how did you end up telling your parents? Still not exactly sure how to tell them...

Quote by MakinLattes
anyway, I say go for it. it'll be a great experience if your mission is out of the country.

That is actually a good point too, a lot of my friends who have gone on missions learned a lot, and there new language helps a lot too.
Last edited by nbur4556 at Jul 30, 2010,
wow... cults are wierd. seriously though, if your entire future depends on it, then you SHOULD NOT base your decision on the responses here. i understand you're looking for second opinions, and thats cool, but you should only decide after thinking about and doing what YOU feel is best
... For A Pair Of Brown Eyes

Quote by Bladez22
smoke, you get more awesome by the minute..... You have an epic beard, live near woods, listen to metal, grill stuff using makeshift bbqs out of old cans, and now we find out you have stabbed someone in the dick
Have your parents watch the zeitgiest movie part 1. if they are dumb enough to belive in mormonism, they are dumb enough to believe in such atheist garbage as that movie. maybe they'll end up somewhere in between the two! agnostics! nah, ive just always wanted to see a religious person watch that movie and see how they react. sorry, disregard this.

It may benefit you in the long term, even though obviously you don't want to. A family can provide alot of benefits for years to come, like financial, emotional, and other support. Once you lose em, its hard to get em back. So I'd say...2 years of a mission isn't that much of a sacrafice for 50+ years of family benefits. Plus, you get to travel around and see the country. Who knows, maybe you will meet some cool people on your travels, and become a master at sneaking out of wherever you stay and get to live the life of a normal 18 yr old. Who knows? Even if the people you are with are ignorant pricks, theres always a way around these things.
58-32 NFL Thread Pick Em.
You're only lying to yourself and your family if you do it. You shouldn't let your family bully you into doing things you don't believe in. If they are too petty to look beyond differences in belief, is it really worth sacrificing the chance of being the person you want to be?
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by nbur4556

That is actually a good point too, a lot of my friends who have gone on missions learned a lot, and there new language helps a lot too.

Not only that, but you also get great financial training, experience away from home, and social skills.
Believe it or not, something like a two year mission isn't a bad thing to put on a resume.

Great to know that you're looking into a lot of options. I really hope the best for you.
it's all coming back

Here's an idea, tell them you're not worthy.

Just say you jack off too much or something.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
This may sound harsh, but it seems your family doesn't love you, only their own religion and their belief that you still practice it. If you go on this mission, you will betray only yourself and what you believe in, for they have already disowned you. They just don't know it.

Oh, and tell them to forgive you. That's always fun.
Last edited by In The Mist at Jul 30, 2010,
If you don't believe in Mormonism, going on the mission will only delay estrangement from your family. Certainly you don't intend on staying with the church once you're able to leave, right? Your family's reaction will probably be the same no matter when you break it to them.

Quote by John Frusciante
Quote by Spartan070sarge
If you don't believe in Mormonism, going on the mission will only delay estrangement from your family. Certainly you don't intend on staying with the church once you're able to leave, right? Your family's reaction will probably be the same no matter when you break it to them.

Honestly, I don't know if I'd end up sticking with the church, but probably not (unless something happened on the mission I may or may not go on). So you have a good point, I'd just be delaying what's probably gonna happen anyway...

Anyways, I'm tired, and I'm gonna go to bed... Thanks for the opinions, I'm probably gonna have to think about it some more.
Page 1 of 4