So, I work at a video store that is closing. So obviously, ALL SALES ARE FINAL. We are not allowed to exchange something, ok?

This guy called the store tonight and said the DVD does not play at all, claiming "there is nothing on it." Whatever. He then calls back later saying that he called his Credit Card company and they will put a freeze on his credit card so we do not get any of the money he spent on the entire transaction.

Is this legal? Can you purchase a $2000 TV , leave th store, put a hold on your credit card and the store never gets payment? Or as soon as you take the freeze off, there is money owing? Anyone know how this works? Would the credit card company really freeze an account for any reason other than a card being lost or stolen? Anyone know?
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Call the credit card company. It's his fault, he should have looked at the disc before hand.

Hell, the local Movie Gallery is closing, and I made sure the disc I got was almost pristine, or playable at least.
How we handle it is not important. I am just wondering if anyone knows if this is legal, or any details on if you can ACTUALLY do this? Do the funds not go through as soon as it is swiped?
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Quote by 365_days_gone
How we handle it is not important. I am just wondering if anyone knows if this is legal, or any details on if you can ACTUALLY do this? Do the funds not go through as soon as it is swiped?
It depends on the store and day of the week. Some places don't make transactions hit during the weekend. 7-11 takes like 5 days to charge me for gas. Some places hit hours later.
I don't know a whole lot about these things, but seems like if he did that he wouldn't be able to spend money either. Also, I'm pretty sure this is illegal.
Ya, I would definetely think,

1. The Credit Card company is going to need a reason such as "losing the card", otherwise they will not do it. They would probably need some forms filled out.

2. This would be illegal...logic would certainly suggest so.
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Quote by 365_days_gone
Ya, I would definetely think,

1. The Credit Card company is going to need a reason such as "losing the card", otherwise they will not do it. They would probably need some forms filled out.

2. This would be illegal...logic would certainly suggest so.

God, that was strange how you just replied to your own thread.

And yes, this is illegal.

However, I could freeze all my accounts just by making a phone call. Depends on the credit card company, I guess.

edit: Actually, the debt will still be there, regardless of his account. So maybe it's not quite illegal, just dumb.
Last edited by -[NiL]- at Jul 30, 2010,
I have no idea about the situation, but sorry about your job, man.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
I'm pretty sure even if the card is frozen afterwards, the transaction is still valid.

Either way, he's going to owe money.
Oh f*ck it,
I'm gonna have a party.
I had the blankest year,
I watched life turn into a TV show.
It was totally weird.
It's illegal, the card has already gone through. He hasn't paid for it but the company has received the notice that he purchased it, and will bill him for it.
Most places the card goes through the phone lines (or similar line) and his transaction was already recorded. If it doesn't work then that sucks for him. All sales are FINAL doesn't mean "all sales are final...unless you want to return something" it means no returns and tough luck if it doesn't work.
^ was said while intoxicated, so don't hold it against me.

98% of teens have been around or used alcohol, put this in your signature if you like bagels.
It's not illegal just on the basis that what he did is not going to get him out of having to pay you the money. Swiping that card is basically signing a binding contract that he will pay.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
i've dealt with this situation before, likely the credit card company will eat it, give him his money back and pay the fee. he most likely filed something along the lines of "denial of service after payment" in stating that the dvd he bought was blank and the retailer wouldn't allow him to return it. did he even ask if he could exchange it for the same thing?

if i bought a $2000 tv, took it home and it didn't work and the retailer refused any kind of exchange or service you bet i'd call my card company immediately and make sure it didn't go through.
Quote by z4twenny
i've dealt with this situation before, likely the credit card company will eat it, give him his money back and pay the fee. he most likely filed something along the lines of "denial of service after payment" in stating that the dvd he bought was blank and the retailer wouldn't allow him to return it. did he even ask if he could exchange it for the same thing?

if i bought a $2000 tv, took it home and it didn't work and the retailer refused any kind of exchange or service you bet i'd call my card company immediately and make sure it didn't go through.

Hm I would've thought that if anything he would have to take it up with the manufacturer, it's their screw up. Unless the product was opened before it's not his fault that it doesn't work.
^ was said while intoxicated, so don't hold it against me.

98% of teens have been around or used alcohol, put this in your signature if you like bagels.
It's not illegal to do a stop payment for a transaction. Yes, the sale would have gone through and would be in the system for the "transaction" but would be pending. Now it's just a matter of the video store making the guy pay, which would most likely result in small claims court. Due to the contract, of basically him swiping his card after knowing that it is "all sales final". Even then, most stores don't let you return videos after they've been opened, and the most you'll get out of that is a store credit. But even that point is moot if he's put a stop payment on his card, and he now has "stolen" merchandise until he returns the product to the store.
It depends where you live, TS, and what laws are in place.
In the UK, it's the retailer's responsibility to ensure goods are fit for purpose, and if it wasn't when it was bought, the customer is entitled to a full refund under the Sale of Goods Act.