Well there are two ways to go about doing it:

a) Take some measurements, buy a template, route a humbucker size pickup cavity.

or

b) Getthese kind of pickups. I forget their name... stacked pickup or something.

Obviously one's easier than the other. But if you're dead set on a humbucker or have already bought it, you might wanna go ahead and route it.
I'm not sure about this, but i think you would need some sort of mounting thing (like a pickguard, etc) to put a single coil in a humbucker cavity.
Quote by Guitbuilder
You could also install a humbucker with a coil tap and have both.

Doesnt sound exactly the same. It sounds similar to a single coil, but doesnt sound exactly the same. If you want a TRUE single coil sound the only option is a single coil. Its like stacked single coils or single coil sized humbuckers - they sound more like humbuckers than standard single coils do, but true humbuckers still sound more humbucker-y.
Uh, what kind of guitar is it, if it's a strat type with a pickguard, wont be hard, if it's a solid body like, say a Les Paul, or like most ESP's, where the pickups are in a routed hole in the wood, then it's going to be pointless to fill in the hole.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Uh, what kind of guitar is it, if it's a strat type with a pickguard, wont be hard, if it's a solid body like, say a Les Paul, or like most ESP's, where the pickups are in a routed hole in the wood, then it's going to be pointless to fill in the hole.

Or you could always get some plastic and cut a pickup ring for a single that covers the 'bucker route.
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
Quote by Baconfish
Or you could always get some plastic and cut a pickup ring for a single that covers the 'bucker route.
yep. lots of options right off the shelf. just look around on the net.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.