Poll Options
View poll results: Stick with religion?
Yes
42 23%
No
138 77%
Voters: 180.
Page 1 of 5
So, I'm 14 years old, about to turn 15, and about to be confirmed into the Catholic church. Except that I don't believe in God. I am trying to get out of this, but my dad is putting extreme pressure on me to go through it for him. He brought up an interesting point- many people in my family would hate me if I skipped out on religion. So, pit, what do you think I should do? Go against my beliefs and make my family happy, or stick with them and have them be pissed?
Super
Old
Cats
Are
Surprising

Many profile views... few friends...
I am in the EXACT same situation as you. It's horrible. My grandparents were already thrilled that they are my "sponsors" and it's scheduled for september some time. Since I don't believe in god, I'm just going to go with it to appease my parents. If you don't believe in it, it shouldn't mean anything. All it is is a waste of time.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Exotic Wood Series Acoustic- Burled Maple
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
atleast you dont have to go on a mormon mission for two years.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by I am wet
atleast you dont have to go on a mormon mission for two years.

Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Quote by Gyroscope

Dum dum dum dum dum!
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
Quote by StratoCatser
So, I'm 14 years old, about to turn 15, and about to be confirmed into the Catholic church. Except that I don't believe in God. I am trying to get out of this, but my dad is putting extreme pressure on me to go through it for him. He brought up an interesting point- many people in my family would hate me if I skipped out on religion. So, pit, what do you think I should do? Go against my beliefs and make my family happy, or stick with them and have them be pissed?

Well that makes a load of sense. I say do what you want to do.
Sail upon the open skies
tell them you are atheist (sp?). they will be like and probably cancel the whole thing. you did say you dont believe in God so its not like its a lie or anything
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Just do it. You may not believe in it, but if you get married in a church later on in life you won't have to go through all that again. I'm not even baptised, so if I'm getting married in church I have to do all that crap first.
Your relatives will probably send you tons of money. Just do it its not that bad just say what they tell you to say.
PSN: KevGuy47
------▓▓▓▓▓
----▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
----▒▒▒░░
--░░░░░░
--▒▒░░░░░░
--▒▒░░░░▒▒▒▒
------░░░░░░░
----▒▒▒▒▒
--▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒
░░▓▓░░
░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░
░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░
----▓▓▓----▓▓▓
--▒▒▒--------▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒--------▒▒▒▒
What does it matter if you get confirmed? You can still be an atheist, and all it means is you can marry in the church later on if you happen to meet a nice Catholic girl. My friend is an atheist and he got confirmed just because his family wanted him to, it's not like it really affects anything
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
We all follow different paths, if you feel this road is not for you, then do not go down it; Take the road to your liking.

My point being, do what you want to do. They're your family, if they really hate you for it, then they are no family of yours.
Quote by adamrandall
Dum dum dum dum dum!

I think we have a genius on our hands.

Even though nobody else ever saw it, dum dum dum dum dum!
I did it and I'm on the fence about religion. I did it because it was more special for my grandfather being my sponsor, considering he won't be around much longer, and out of 14 grandkids my family is the only one still catholic. Plus what the guy up there said about getting married in a church.

Quote by Greendayfan16

cool story bra.................somebody doesn't like Christianity, who woulda thought?

Quote by NickGiovanni
Lol, This is Sig worthy my friend, Kudos to you and your wise-ass-ness
i chose Michael as my confirmation name. The funny thing is, Michael already is my middle name. So my name is Jack Michael Michael Smith.
Want to leave hurtful comments about me and my band on youtube!?!?!? Click the link below!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sWguqmZB34

Quote by Tragic Mulatto
as long as you are in this thread you are in my vagina.
This was me 3 years ago.
I was tempted to say no when they asked all them questions
Instead I went with it cause I didn't want to cause a fuss
All it is = big waste time. Don't think anything of it. Once it's done it's done
..Now that I think about, that was the last time I was in a chruch
Quote by genghisgandhi
Your mom had a botched abortion, and you were the result.

Need a laugh?
Quote by MetaIronForce

._______________
||
|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|'|
|__LOLOMETER__|

That deserved a lolmeter

Last edited by Fadetoblack5:03 at Jul 30, 2010,
Quote by childofbodem
I think we have a genius on our hands.

Even though nobody else ever saw it, dum dum dum dum dum!

Why thank you, sire.
Godin LG Signature
Samick UM-3
Ibanez Artcore AWD-82
Ibanez ART-300
G&L Tribute series S-500
Squier Bullet special
Cameo Hollowbody
SX tele with neck p90

Peavey XXX Super 40 EFX
Ya just do it, it doesn't make a difference. Besides, you're still young. It's not like its impossible that somewhere down the road you might have use for the church/not having your family disown you.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
just do it. if you are atheist it shouldn't mean anything to you anyways. Just do it to make your family happy. I struggle to understand why people here are saying that you should basically upset your family and disappoint them when you could simply go through with something essentially meaningless to you to make them happy/proud. just do it dude.

EDIT: also, don't burn bridges so early in life. Many people who were previously atheist find religion/spirituality of some kind later in life, you never know what may happen to your views later on.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jul 30, 2010,
it doesnt haver to mean anything to you, but if its a big deal for your family and parents you should. Plus, what RPGoof says is true, it may help you out later on.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
just do it. if you are atheist it shouldn't mean anything to you anyways. Just do it to make your family happy. I struggle to understand why people here are saying that you should basically upset your family and disappoint them when you could simply go through with something essentially meaningless to you to make them happy/proud. just do it dude.

If his family will hate him for no accepting their religion, they've reached the point of religious bigotry. And in my opinion, bigotry of any form should not be tolerated in this society.
I was confirmed a Catholic a couple years ago even though I knew in my mind and a few of my friends also knew that I was not fully into it. I was and remain skeptical of ALL religions, not only Catholicism. But I went along with it, because I figured it's not a big deal and not worth causing my very large extended Catholic family disappointment and leaving myself vulnurable to years of long lectures on why I should believe in god.

So if I were you, i'd just do it and get it over with. It doesn't take long at all. And you get lotsa cheesy cards and money from family, so you might as well accept it and reserve your seat in hell. If not having a religion is important to you, then speak up and don't do it. But if you just don't care then I don't see who it's hurting by you going through with it.

Nothing ever really needs to be said, and I found that in those circumstances it was better for me to just swallow my pride.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by NoOne0507
If his family will hate him for no accepting their religion, they've reached the point of religious bigotry. And in my opinion, bigotry of any form should not be tolerated in this society.

grow up. nobody said that. I said disappoint. I find it very easy to understand that they would be upset and disappointed about their own flesh and blood not believing the same that they do all of a sudden. secondly, they're his family. family tends to come before trying to purge "religious bigotry"
Go through with it, get the money your family will give you as gifts (hopefully), THEN tell them you aren't religious.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

grow up. nobody said that.

Read OP

Quote by StratoCatser

secondly, they're his family. family tends to come before trying to purge "religious bigotry"

I would leave my family if they pushed religion on me. But to each their own on that matter.
Quote by NoOne0507
And in my opinion, bigotry of any form should not be tolerated in this society.

But in their opinion, atheism should not be tolerated in this society.
And by my "family", I mean extended family. My normal family will be disappointed, but I'm not getting kicked out or anything.
Super
Old
Cats
Are
Surprising

Many profile views... few friends...
Quote by __Pent__
But in their opinion, atheism should not be tolerated in this society.

And, if that is their actual opinion, is the opinion of a bigot.
Just do it, don't be immature about it. They're your family, you owe them this small thing at least. I mean, what do you care? Just collect the confirmation money and keep quiet about it.

I'm an atheist myself, but I got confirmed anyway 3 years ago, it made my mom and my grandparents really happy, so I was happy to do it.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Quote by NoOne0507

I would leave my family if they pushed religion on me. But to each their own on that matter.

Quote by NoOne0507
And, if that is their actual opinion, is the opinion of a bigot.

You are astoundingly immature.

I can nearly guarantee, if the time came and your family pushed religion on you, you would rather spend 1 hour in church a week rather than be alone in this world.

it takes losing your family to learn to appreciate them.
i do think that you should have your own choice.

however, imo being 15 is too immature an age to ultimately decide yourself whether you want to follow any specific religion. you shouldnt be forced to "confirm" your catholicism. the point in this idea is to choose this path yourself and be proud to be catholic. i think if you explain this to your dad he might understand. you could also say that your too young to decide and dont have enought life experience to decide or make up your mind.
Unless TS's family is religious 24/7 then it would be pointless to have the love of a family digress over something that doesn't even matter. I don't think the battle over religion is a battle worth fighting, quite honestly. So why would you let something as small and little as that ruin a perfectly fine family relationship?
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

I can nearly guarantee, if the time came and your family pushed religion on you, you would rather spend 1 hour in church a week rather than be alone in this world.

Why should he be forced to do this.

Someone's going to get hurt either way. I would do it, but that's just me because I don't care. If it makes them happy so be it, however, if it played out that I didn't go through with it, I certainly wouldn't deserve to be shunned, ya know?
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
and if that is YOUR opinion, you are a social bigot. What if I were to tell you that intolerance to bigotry should not be tolerated? slippery slope much?

I like how you realized that this argument was crap and edited it off. But yes, I don't tolerate intolerance. If his family will be disappointed, I see that as reasonable. But if his family will hate him, as TS said, he shouldn't tolerate their bigotry.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

I'd rather be alone and true to myself.
Last edited by NoOne0507 at Jul 30, 2010,
Time to be a man, son.

If you oppose your family they will be upset for you, but in the long run they will gain respect for you and it shows maturity that you are willing to stand up for your beliefs and make your own decisions. Some people are too passive as teenagers, do every thing their parents say and becoming whipping boys in adulthood. They get walked over at their jobs, by their spouse, friends, etc. At your age you do have to go through a process of separating from your family in order to become an individual. If you putting reasoning behind your choice and express how you don't believe they should control your decisions, and make them look at matters from your perspective, like I said they will gain respect for you, even if they don't show/tell you. Plus, I just wouldn't encourage anyone to follow christianity.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Page 1 of 5