^^^
What the title says, and so far, I don't have much of an idea of what to get for amps, because I usually play metal, classic rock, so quite versatile would be good. But for guitars NO ACTIVE PICKUPS AND IT MUST HAVE A FLOYD ROSE! Also, 2 Humbuckers, no HSH, and mounting rings would be nice, because I would like to have the SD triple shot mounting rings on there. And I will probably replace the pickups, regardless of what they are in the guitar, because my guitars must be special (in a way that they sound better, not retard special). That's basically it for guitars, and so far what I have come up with is the Schecter C-1 Custom FR, it's $849 and has all that I wanted, and also I'd just swap the pups if I didn't like them, because those SD pups in particular look promising compared to there other ones, just don't really like there pups. Well, any other suggestions will be helpful.

Now AMPS!
No 6505, 6505+, 6534 or what ever they have, it's just to kinda, normal, now, I just don't like the really dark distortion, and supposed mediocre clean. I was looking at the Jet City JCA50H because of it nice cleans, (not amazing fender cleans) and killer overdrive, even though I'd boost it for solo's. Also looking into the Blackstar HT-20 Studio Venue series, because of it's good cleans, and killer overdrive that can handle metal. Anything else is open to suggestions. I don't have a amp speak cab right now, so you'd have to take the price of heads down a little bit, and combo's are welcome.

Good to know info: I play Metal, Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Classic Rock, Progressive Rock and Metal, so basically a good versatile amp that handles high gain distortion good. Any pedals to improve sounds, boost em to put them into appropriate territory would be nice.
Also...
I'm not saying the 6505's are bad, but just that, it seems very overused, seeing as tons and tons of deathcore bands and stuff use the 6505's I just don't want to sound like every other deathcore player out there (not that I play deathcore).
Well, just keep that in mind and I hope to have a good, positive discussions of the gears.
Thanks!

EDIT: I'm usually doing bedroom practice, sometimes with a bass player and drummer, and full band scenario, I'd doesn't have to be amazing at the lower volumes, just something good all around that I could use.
Last edited by LolCatGuitar at Jul 30, 2010,
I have a DSL 100 and i like it a lot. It suits those genres very well. Thats where my vote goes to
okay firstly... why are you so strongly opposed to actives? if you find their sound dead or whatever, you just havent found the right ones/learned to use them properly. i find the emg 60 in my guitar has one of the best sounds i've ever heard. (no more ranting for me, i promise!)

for amps, if you want to be "different" look at Rivera, Soldano, Randall, H&K, and the Peavey classic 30. that thing can actually hit metal, and throw on and od pedal and you've got it no problem.

for guitars, you may be a little hard pressed to find something fitting your specs. look at the big ones: ibanez, esp, jackson, schecter, etc. if you find anything, just go with it.
If you've only a grand, that doesn't leave for a lot. Personally, amps to me serve for tone, and the pickups as character. Traynor's are extremely well priced amps for the value. I played one fitted with 6l6 tubes with an HSS strat, blew my mind, no pedals and an already great classic rock tone. A nice jackson and a traynor, would go together wonderfully.
Member #40 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join.
^^Name 336
Well, I don't know why, I just don't seem like to like actives, passives are usually cheaper, and, well it's kinda hard to explain but I just like passives. I know, they can sound good, but with actives, swapping to passives, back to actives could be a huge pain... Ahh, my choice.
And its kinda hard to be different in a place where it's to so open to choice but you have a couple big name brands in front of you, and everyone says to go with them, and its hard not to jump on the bandwagon, get something better and be satisfied while product "X" is so amazing for "X" genre and can also cover "N" genre to and everywhere in between! But all I'm trying to do is just make a good choice which is why I need the experience of other people because I'm still just learning. And also with Ibanez, I looked at EVERY SINGLE GUITAR on there website, and I haven't found an exact one that's as close at the Schecter C-1 Custom FR. And for different, all I could see in the amp head region, was the Epi Valve Senior, and the Bugera V55, even though Bugera's get alotta hate (as I've heard).

^Nivlarama

Well, $1000 for a guitar and $1000 for an amp, not $1000 for both.
I havn't checked much traynors so I'd have to go and have a look.
bugera and blackstar are less different than some of the other brands i've actually mentioned. but if you really want to get into that, hop on board of the traynor line. the ycv 50 blue (previous generation model) is honest to god one of the best amps i've ever played. alone it couldn't quite do metal, but after slapping on a pedal, it was heaven (or rather, straight from the depths of hell).

the problem with what you're trying to do however is not use an amp thats classified as normal for that genre. and even though there's nothing wrong with that, you cant always do it well. for example, you cant really take a 5150 and play blues/jazz, as you cant take a fender blues jr and crank out death metal. neither on its own will work.

so while you're trying to not sound like everybody else, straying too far from the norm will make you rely on pedals. which in itself will make you sound MORE like everybody else than if you go with an amp slightly outside of the norm. this is why i suggested what i did. most people for your genres will grab the marshall, or the mesa, and occasionally the orange or engl. not as many will go as far as H&K, especially for metal. that will give a pretty different sound.

all i'm saying is the further you stray, the more you'll blend in. seriously consider some of what i've said here and why i suggested the brands i did. go play a few models of them. also, what sort of other amps were you thinking? besides blackstar and bugera (which are more common than anything now, i see tonnes of those now everywhere i go) what amp are you thinking will give the different sound? (i'm not trying to be a jerk here or anything, i'm genuinely asking because i'm curious)
Almost nobody has a 6534+. They're pretty different from the regular 6505s, seeing as they have EL34s and a bias pot installed. Also better cleans than the original.

That said, I'd still recommend the JCA50 or 100. Great, great amps, and they don't necessarily need a boost for metal. High on Fire's guitarist Matt Pike uses Soldano SLOs (the amp the JCA50/100 is based on) and his sound pretty much speaks for itself.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by LolCatGuitar
And I will probably replace the pickups, regardless of what they are in the guitar, because my guitars must be special (in a way that they sound better, not retard special)

Jet City amps are a good shout and the schecter looks aright. Honestly it sounds like you already know what you want so i'm not really sure why you are asking? Lol.
First off, this isn't EG so I'm going to completely ignore the first half of your post. Learn to post questions in the proper sections of the forum.

As for the amp, you need to be a bit more specific. Naming genres serves no purpose at all as one single genre can contain hundreds, if not thousands of different tones. A JCM 800 would be good if you wanted to play a lot of Slayer-esque music but wouldn't do you any good if you wanted to play something like Machine Head, yet both bands are metal.

One thing to keep in mind when looking for an amp is that you don't need tons of gain to play heavy music. A lot of people associate metal with heaps and heaps of gain and distortion and that isn't always the case with metal tones.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
First off, this isn't EG so I'm going to completely ignore the first half of your post. Learn to post questions in the proper sections of the forum.

As for the amp, you need to be a bit more specific. Naming genres serves no purpose at all as one single genre can contain hundreds, if not thousands of different tones. A JCM 800 would be good if you wanted to play a lot of Slayer-esque music but wouldn't do you any good if you wanted to play something like Machine Head, yet both bands are metal.

One thing to keep in mind when looking for an amp is that you don't need tons of gain to play heavy music. A lot of people associate metal with heaps and heaps of gain and distortion and that isn't always the case with metal tones.

nothing ever gets done in EG, alot of people post a guitar and amp question in gga no need to get butthurt bro
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Quote by Skagasm
nothing ever gets done in EG, alot of people post a guitar and amp question in gga no need to get butthurt bro

Well I could just report him for posting in the wrong section and then report you as well for being a jerk. I've been here for A LOT longer than you, I know what goes on around here. There are rules for a reason.

And lots of stuff gets done in EG. Its just there really is no specific guitar for a specific style/genre like there is with amps so the 1324523456234515123541342 "Which guitar!?" threads every day get overlooked, and for good reason.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Well I could just report him for posting in the wrong section and then report you as well for being a jerk. I've been here for A LOT longer than you, I know what goes on around here. There are rules for a reason.

And lots of stuff gets done in EG. Its just there really is no specific guitar for a specific style/genre like there is with amps so the 1324523456234515123541342 "Which guitar!?" threads every day get overlooked, and for good reason.

report me for being a jerk? sounds like someone is having a bad day, damn bro go get a tampon. just saying i see threads like this everyday and no one has a problem with it but you.
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Quote by Skagasm
report me for being a jerk? sounds like someone is having a bad day, damn bro go get a tampon. just saying i see threads like this everyday and no one has a problem with it but you.

Yea, ok.

*Reported*

Like I said, no one seems to think they have to follow the rules anymore - that's why no one ever has a problem. This place is flooded with new people who don't acknowledge that there are any rules while the veterans don't post anymore because they don't wanna deal with all of you guys' stupid bullcrap.

And I'm not your "bro".
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Jul 30, 2010,
You checked the Ibanez website for guitars similar to that Schecter, and you didn't see anything? Check out the JS series. You may be opposed to signature models, but the JS1200 is a sweet guitar. I've though about buying one for a while, and I probably will some day.

As for an amp, 5150, 6505, or similar amps will probably do your style well.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Yea, ok.

*Reported*

Like I said, no one seems to think they have to follow the rules anymore - that's why no one ever has a problem. This place is flooded with new people who don't acknowledge that there are any rules while the veterans don't post anymore because they don't wanna deal with all of you guys' stupid bullcrap.

And I'm not your "bro".

I think you're taking things a little too seriously. Chill out man.

Oh noes will he report me too?

[EDIT]

I'm not really familiar with Jet City amps but apparently people like them around here. Have a look at the bugera 6262 and 333xl. They fit into your budget pretty well.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Last edited by Adam124 at Jul 30, 2010,
Im with metalhead on this one
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
^coolstoryangus
Well, it's nice to get an opinion from others before you even try stuff out, so you know what you're looking for, rather than walking into the store and trying out all these products rather than focusing in on "X", "R" and "S" guitars and amps (variables).

^i_am_metalhead
Well, I thought it would just be more efficient to just have a Guitar and Amp thread because, it's just more logical that 1 thread would take less posting then two, well anyways, thank you for the lesson. Next time I'll try and not do what I did now, making a EG thread in GG&A.
Well. Yes, tons of gain isn't required as I've recently learned. I have also learned that, I only need enough gain to get that real crunchy sound, but not real fuzzy when palm muting, just on the edge of breakup when palm muted, because then, it's clean when PM'd and nice n crunchy for rhythm work. But mainly a tight bottom end, Not too too much gain, a ballsy aggressive type of distortion and that has a singing solo tone when boosted and EQ'd, and good, clean sound, much like Satch's clean from Prof. Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock, mainly the clean at the beginning of Musterionkinda that dark sounding complex style. A rhythm sound kinda like The Count of Tuscany around 4mins, when it's more riffin stuff. Yet I know JP uses a mesa boogie mark IV, IIC+,mark V, but that kinda general area of his sound. And from there on I could just EQ and boost it to get a solo tone.

^^Zep
The JS's are a little bit too expensive, even though I could trade my start for one, but then I'd loose a strat, cuz it's a strat. I don't now about the 6505's, I'd only get the 6534+ because of it's supposed better cleans.

Also...
H&K 25th Anniversary 112 Tube Combo? It seems good, simple enough, 2 channels. 1 Clean, 1 Lead, and then I can just squeeze in pedals because of the low price tag compared to some other amps. Still a lil higher in price than the JCA50...

For Guitars, I think I found it.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson-DKDM-Q-Dinky-Quilt-Top-Electric-Guitar-583323-i1480009.gc
Basswood, Tone Zone and Evo, FR, Beautiful finish, Gold Hardware, Mounting Rings.
It has it all.
Any more recommendations will be helpful!
Thanks for the posting!
Last edited by LolCatGuitar at Jul 30, 2010,
Quote by LolCatGuitar
^^^
What the title says, and so far, I don't have much of an idea of what to get for amps, because I usually play metal, classic rock, so quite versatile would be good. But for guitars NO ACTIVE PICKUPS AND IT MUST HAVE A FLOYD ROSE! Also, 2 Humbuckers, no HSH, and mounting rings would be nice, because I would like to have the SD triple shot mounting rings on there. And I will probably replace the pickups, regardless of what they are in the guitar, because my guitars must be special (in a way that they sound better, not retard special). That's basically it for guitars, and so far what I have come up with is the Schecter C-1 Custom FR, it's $849 and has all that I wanted, and also I'd just swap the pups if I didn't like them, because those SD pups in particular look promising compared to there other ones, just don't really like there pups. Well, any other suggestions will be helpful.

Now AMPS!
No 6505, 6505+, 6534 or what ever they have, it's just to kinda, normal, now, I just don't like the really dark distortion, and supposed mediocre clean. I was looking at the Jet City JCA50H because of it nice cleans, (not amazing fender cleans) and killer overdrive, even though I'd boost it for solo's. Also looking into the Blackstar HT-20 Studio Venue series, because of it's good cleans, and killer overdrive that can handle metal. Anything else is open to suggestions. I don't have a amp speak cab right now, so you'd have to take the price of heads down a little bit, and combo's are welcome.

Good to know info: I play Metal, Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Classic Rock, Progressive Rock and Metal, so basically a good versatile amp that handles high gain distortion good. Any pedals to improve sounds, boost em to put them into appropriate territory would be nice.
Also...
I'm not saying the 6505's are bad, but just that, it seems very overused, seeing as tons and tons of deathcore bands and stuff use the 6505's I just don't want to sound like every other deathcore player out there (not that I play deathcore).
Well, just keep that in mind and I hope to have a good, positive discussions of the gears.
Thanks!

EDIT: I'm usually doing bedroom practice, sometimes with a bass player and drummer, and full band scenario, I'd doesn't have to be amazing at the lower volumes, just something good all around that I could use.

I own a mesa triple rectifier and you can never go wrong with a tube amp
^ why on earth did you bump this old thread from 2010?

what were you searching on that made you find this? I really want to know.

let's not necrobump OK?

Adam - did i_am_meathead actually report you

oh and *reported* for necrobumping