So I just dropped in some Blackouts in my EC-1000 and the switch in the middle position and down position has a hiss to it, but flip it up top and it stops, suggestions?? And it wasnt there with the EMG's
Gear-
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 VB
Epiphone Negative G-400 SG
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
CEC Amplification Suckerpunch 15
Catalinbread DLS v2
Humphrey Audio Slo/Diezel mod MT-2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
Quote by michael3700
active pickups dont need to be grounded

The pickups are broken. Buy new ones

seriously? man that f'n sucks!
Gear-
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
Catalinbread DLS v2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
I am gonna do one last check by swapping them around from bridge to neck and see if the noise follows to be sure the pup is bad.
Gear-
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
Catalinbread DLS v2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
Last edited by 1ArmyGuitar at Jul 30, 2010,
Bump, for more help! I have also read that the neck in the bridge and vice versa sound killer, any truth to this?
Gear-
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
Catalinbread DLS v2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
Last edited by 1ArmyGuitar at Jul 30, 2010,
Quote by 1ArmyGuitar
Bump, for more help! I have also read that the neck in the bridge and vice versa sound killer, any truth to this?

People switch the 81/85 set all the time...I tried it, didn't like it. Haven't tried it with my blackouts
Quote by eyebanez333
People switch the 81/85 set all the time...I tried it, didn't like it. Haven't tried it with my blackouts

any clue what could be causing the extra ambient noise from the bridge position? It wasnt present with the 81.
Gear-
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
Catalinbread DLS v2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
Quote by 1ArmyGuitar
any clue what could be causing the extra ambient noise from the bridge position? It wasnt present with the 81.

Do you have the bridge ground hooked up? Every EMG diagram I've seen says don't hookup the bridge ground wire...while every Blackout diagram I've seen says to hook it up. might be worth a shot...shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to do if you still have the bridge ground wire there...

http://www.seymourduncan.com/pdfs/support/schematics/2_blackouts_2v_1t.pdf
Quote by eyebanez333
Do you have the bridge ground hooked up? Every EMG diagram I've seen says don't hookup the bridge ground wire...while every Blackout diagram I've seen says to hook it up. might be worth a shot...shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to do if you still have the bridge ground wire there...

http://www.seymourduncan.com/pdfs/support/schematics/2_blackouts_2v_1t.pdf

Well crap, I have no clue. I just unplugged and dropped in like I have read on forums. I assume this will require some soldering.
Gear-
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
Catalinbread DLS v2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
Quote by 1ArmyGuitar
Well crap, I have no clue. I just unplugged and dropped in like I have read on forums. I assume this will require some soldering.

Not necessarily...if the ground wire is still back there...grab it (not the bare part)...and hold it to the other grounding point on the guitar, most likely the back of a pot. Do this while your guitar is plugged in and you're hearing this noise...if the noise goes away when you touch the ground wire to the back of the pot, then it's the culprit and you can solder it. Just a guess...but I have the ground hooked up on my blackout guitar and they're quiet as ****.

EDIT: idk if the bridge ground wire will be there or not if the guitar was equipped with EMGs from the factory...
so if I do this, and it works then putting EMG's back in, I would need to unground? I dont think I will though, from the little I have heard!
Gear-
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
Catalinbread DLS v2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
Quote by 1ArmyGuitar
so if I do this, and it works then putting EMG's back in, I would need to unground? I dont think I will though, from the little I have heard!

Possibly...you could always just snip the wire should you go back to the EMGs
Quote by eyebanez333
Not necessarily...if the ground wire is still back there...grab it (not the bare part)...and hold it to the other grounding point on the guitar, most likely the back of a pot. Do this while your guitar is plugged in and you're hearing this noise...if the noise goes away when you touch the ground wire to the back of the pot, then it's the culprit and you can solder it. Just a guess...but I have the ground hooked up on my blackout guitar and they're quiet as ****.

EDIT: idk if the bridge ground wire will be there or not if the guitar was equipped with EMGs from the factory...

It was loaded with EMGs from the factory, so I will check that. I hope thats all it is! And thank you for the good info and help!
Gear-
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
Catalinbread DLS v2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
I know EMG's are grounded through the output jack, instead of through the guitar, don't know about Blackouts, I would assume the same thing, cause essentially they are the same design as EMG's but with a few upgrades, but I could be wrong. Do what eyebanez said, and you'll know for sure.
chances are you wont have a bridge ground wire, or even a hole for the wire..
before you go drilling a hole for it, try re-wiring the switch, but backwards.

you dont need to physically move the pickups from neck to bridge and vice versa, but just wire them the other way, so the down position is now the neck, and up is bridge

that'll tell you if your problem is with the switch or wiring, rather than if the problem is with the pickup.

and from now on, try to use the ultimate wiring thread. theres a link in my sig and it just helps keep the forum more organized with all the wiring questions in there
another quick test...would be to get a long piece of wire, touch it to the bridge and to the back of the pot with the other ground wires..
Quote by ethan_hanus
I know EMG's are grounded through the output jack, instead of through the guitar.

Everything is grounded through the output jack in every guitar.
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
EMGs are internally grounded, so they don't need the bridge ground. The rest of the circuit is still grounded and runs to the jack. Also, Blackouts aren't 'the same design as EMGs with a few upgrades'. One of your pickups isn't wired correctly, which is why you're getting hiss in the blend and down positions. Identify which pickup, then rewire that pickup. If it works, fine. If it doesn't, diagnose the problem by checking whether it's a fractured wire, the polarity is wrong, pots in the signal chain are damaged, the switch contacts are dirty, or the pickup is just plain screwed. If you want a quick test to make sure the pickup is alright, wire it up directly to the jack, without anything else (ie. single pickup, no pots, but with the battery).