Is it ok for a band to cover a song and play it in a different tuning??? What do you think???
Like if my band covered Preistess - Lay Down....but we played it in Standard tuning??
You can play any song you like, as long as you don't go about saying you made it. There are bands out there that just do covers of songs they want to play, and some of them are pretty darn good. I'd say playing a song you all know would be good practice for when you start creating your own songs and playing them live, but thats just my opinion there.
I iz moderatin teh forums on this site.
I know about covering and I already create badass songs, what im asking is: will it still sound good if its in Standard tuning rather than Half Step Down??
There's nothing wrong with it, if all the instruments change their tuning and the singer sings the correct notes to stay in key, all you're doing is transposing it into a different key. It should sound fine really.
Yeah, why not? I don't even think anyone would notice with that song anyways. Tis only an extra half step up. Not a big deal at all...
❒ Taken ❒ Single ✔ Would like a sandwich

Vereor Deus

Quote by dann_blood
Branding!?!? THAT'S TOO PROGRESSIVE! I say bring back settlement payments in weights of lead and impalement upon wooden stakes!

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Oh! Sorry, I thought that was a braille name tag.
A cover entails that you take a song you like, add your touch to it, but still give the original writers credit for it. If it sounds good to you, then you've made your cover of the song.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Quote by dudeman770
I know about covering and I already create badass songs, what im asking is: will it still sound good if its in Standard tuning rather than Half Step Down??
Sorry, the title is misleading to your actual question
I iz moderatin teh forums on this site.
Quote by JackMorris
There's nothing wrong with it, if all the instruments change their tuning and the singer sings the correct notes to stay in key, all you're doing is transposing it into a different key. It should sound fine really.

yep its fine, metallica changes all of there covers(am i evil being the most common) to d standard live now because james cant sing as high anymore
We did a cover of Raining Blood by both Slayer and a little known german band JBO (go search for it on youtube ) in standard tuning. Made little difference to how it sounded but we put our own twists on it and credited the original artists when we played live
Quote by dudeman770
Is it ok for a band to cover a song and play it in a different tuning??? What do you think???
Like if my band covered Preistess - Lay Down....but we played it in Standard tuning??

never.

jk play in what ever key you want. only newbs to guitar worry about not playing in the "right key". most people wont be able to tell anyway.
When I do a cover I usually use the correct tuning of the song. I do change sometimes, though. Such as "Iris" by Goo Goo Dolls, the tuning is (low to high) BDDDDD. I actually play it in DDDDDD in my cover. That's about the only song that I have covered that I used a different tuning than it actually is.

But to answer your question, I don't feel there is a problem with covering a song how you want. There are no rules.

I also covered "Your Body is a Wonderland" by john mayer. The tuning is drop-D. (D-A-D-G-B-e) I play it dropped half a step. (Db-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb)

Just explore and go crazy.
"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."

~Leonardo da Vinci
Quote by dudeman770

Some band don't even play their songs in the proper tuning.

And yes. It's fine. No one will notice unless they have a wonderful ear.