I heard "Alison" by Slowdive and checked out some of their other songs and have completely fallen in love with this genre. Does anyone have any recommendations to other shoegaze bands/songs I should check out? Also what gear do people use to get that sound? Its really laid back and ambient.

Sorry if this thread should not be here and If I'm being a noob.
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Rubixcuba. I like that.

Quote by Fenderhippie69
Orange amps FTW!
Last edited by Rubixcuba at Jul 30, 2010,
Isn't shoegaze just.... the bee's knees? I suggest you check out Silversun Pickups, particularly the album "Carnavas." Also, it's hard to go wrong with some Smashing Pumpkins shoegazing.

Also, I see you still have me sigged. Badass!
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Isn't shoegaze just.... the bee's knees? I suggest you check out Silversun Pickups, particularly the album "Carnavas." Also, it's hard to go wrong with some Smashing Pumpkins shoegazing.

I've got both Silversun Pickup albums and a lot of Smashing Pumpkins
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Rubixcuba. I like that.

Quote by Fenderhippie69
Orange amps FTW!
Quote by Rubixcuba
I've got both Silversun Pickup albums and a lot of Smashing Pumpkins

Well, if you like the Pickups, then you'd probably like My Bloody Valentine.
Quote by Spartan070sarge

Smashing Pumpkins...shoegaze?

Ride, Lush, Alison's Halo, and My Bloody Valentine are great ones to check out in addition to Slowdive (all of their albums are great, my favorite of the genre). Gear: lots of 'verb, delay, tremolo, chorus, pitch shifting, Proco Rats, Boss HM-2/3's, Big Muffs, TS-style overdrives, guitars with trems, etc etc. It's pretty much up to you, although delay and reverb are pretty common. Anything that can get you a thick, washy sound
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Smashing Pumpkins Pisces Iscariot seems the most shoegazey too me.. if anything by them can even be considered shoegaze
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
My sister is absolutely inlove with Shoegaze too. Shes like THE master when it comes to that genre. Knows all the best. Ill ask her sometime for you..
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Quote by lateraluspiral
Smashing Pumpkins Pisces Iscariot seems the most shoegazey too me.. if anything by them can even be considered shoegaze

Ah fair, I guess I haven't really listened to that one much, just their main studio albums. They have a lot of fuzzy stuff and do some darker electric music, but nothing I'd really identify as shoegaze from those albums at least
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
Ah fair, I guess I haven't really listened to that one much, just their main studio albums. They have a lot of fuzzy stuff and do some darker electric music, but nothing I'd really identify as shoegaze from those albums at least

My bad, I should have been more clear, but I was referring to Pisces Iscariot.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
the Jesus and Mary Chain should work as well.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Spartan070sarge
My bad, I should have been more clear, but I was referring to Pisces Iscariot.

Slow Dawn from MACHINA II / The Friends & Enemies of Modern Music seems pretty shoegazey too me.
Quote by Spartan070sarge
Rubixcuba. I like that.

Quote by Fenderhippie69
Orange amps FTW!
Shoegaze is boring. Slowdive and MBV being notable exceptions.

Oh, and Alcest too. He's pretty good.
Last edited by Doppelgänger at Jul 30, 2010,
Quote by Doppelgänger
Shoegaze is boring. Slowdive and MBV being notable exceptions.

Oh, and Alcest too. He's pretty good.

Boring is relative, Alcest is pretty cool though

Jesu and some later Agalloch have a sortof shoegazey vibe if you want something a bit heavier.
Board: