Page 1 of 2
Ever since british astronomer David Bowie asked the question the scientific community have been working determinedly to finding out the answer.

Should life exist on Mars, what do you think the consequences will be on earth? What would fundamentalists say for example? Would you feel less 'special'?

Here's a recent article suggesting it

Researchers have identified rocks that they say could contain the fossilised remains of life on early Mars.

The team made their discovery in the ancient rocks of Nili Fossae.

Their work has revealed that this trench on Mars is a "dead ringer" for a region in Australia where some of the earliest evidence of life on Earth has been buried and preserved in mineral form.

They report the findings in the journal Earth and Planetary Science Letters.

The team, led by a scientist from the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence Institute (Seti) in California, believes that the same "hydrothermal" processes that preserved these markers of life on Earth could have taken place on Mars at Nili Fossae.

The rocks there are up to four billion years old, which means they have been around for three-quarters of the history of Mars.

When, in 2008, scientists first discovered carbonate in those rocks the Mars science community reacted with great excitement; carbonate had long been sought as definitive evidence that the Red planet was habitable - that life could have existed there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-10790648

So, how about it?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
If there was life on Mars, that would be awesome

edit: it would probably make the amount of money NASA's spending on space travel seem more reasonable, now that we know there's actually something out there to learn more about.
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Jul 30, 2010,
There is no life on Mars, it's an athlieist conspiracy to try to make us believe humanity isn't the chosen species.

WEBBDIT: I have no idea whether anything's alive now, but it would be interesting to know about any life that once was there.
Last edited by webbtje at Jul 30, 2010,
That vowel goes on for ages. That's not nearly enough "a"s. This thread was flawed right from the start.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
It resembles a region in Australia? we should send our convicts there.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
I was just reading this article. Such an exciting prospect!
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by maggot9779
Wait, David Bowie is an astronomer?

Maybe like an ass-tronomer?
life on mars....no chance.

its simple math really. no water + no greenary = no chance
Quote by Kensai
Should life exist on Mars, what do you think the consequences will be on earth? What would fundamentalists say for example? Would you feel less 'special'?

The consequences would never be the same.

In all seriousness, current data does not indicate living things on Mars these days. There might've been, though.

Also, with the universe as big as it is, I don't believe we're alone, much less "chosen" or "special".
Yeah...
Last edited by Zeropathic at Jul 30, 2010,
Quote by HKSR33

Unless whatever lives there doesn't need what we need to survive.
Quote by consecutive e
Unless whatever lives there doesn't need what we need to survive.

ok.

USA spend billions researching + some guy with a doctorate on space stuff puts out a life on Mars article + years and years of negative results = no chance
They are speaking of fossils, so maybe the question that is the interesting one should be Was there life on mars?

If there was, why couldn't there be life on other planets, not in our solar system but in other ones....
Fight the evolution, play large intervals!
here's something you may not know : there's life on mars (but there's also life outside mars.) the great thing about it is when you realize what there is and where there isn't— isn't it funny? it drags itself out of your throat in the form of poetry or other primitive art forms. and when you finally see it (though that happens much later) you see the sun sinking into the ocean, or honey dissolving into a cup of green tea, or the sound a dog makes when it cries. i think it's very decent of us. but what's more decent is the way some people live. i love it personally, must i say.
Quote by HKSR33
ok.

USA spend billions researching + some guy with a doctorate on space stuff puts out a life on Mars article + years and years of negative results = no chance

That's how science works. If there are no results for a while, despite the fact technological advances happen constantly and we simply haven't looked everywhere yet, give up.
Quote by guitarxo
If there was life on Mars, that would be awesome

edit: it would probably make the amount of money NASA's spending on space travel seem more reasonable, now that we know there's actually something out there to learn more about.

Oh please...

The annual budget for NASA is a little under $19 billion USD.

The annual budget for air conditioning the tents in Iraq and Afghanistan is $20 billion USD.

You can complain about the military budget all you want, but don't go ahead and pretend that NASA's budget isn't justified by its work.
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
Quote by HKSR33
ok.

It doesn't mean that there's no life at all. Life could be about to begin there even if it hasn't existed before. When life began on Earth it wasn't exactly like it is today, right? So there's still a chance, and I find it highly unlikely that we're the only living things in the universe.

Quote by instagata0
Oh please...

The annual budget for NASA is a little under $19 billion USD.

The annual budget for air conditioning the tents in Iraq and Afghanistan is $20 billion USD.

You can complain about the military budget all you want, but don't go ahead and pretend that NASA's budget isn't justified by its work.

I wasn't complaining about NASA's budget Just saying that those who think NASA is unnecessary will now have something to think about.
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Jul 30, 2010,
I just think there's a big difference between finding "remnants" of life on mars and finding actual life on mars. The latter is highly unlikely but the first would suggest that if two planets could have supported life, then it increases the likelyhood of finding other planets with life. It could also be that our solar system is just even the more unique.

As far as religious fundamentals, nowhere does it say in any text that here is the only place for life. In fact it suggests the opposite, even if just described as heaven and hell or place there of.

Now finding intelligent life...also very unlikely. But I don't like the idea of searching for that when we can't even understand 99.9% of the species on earth. Yes, we know about them, but we don't consider them intelligent. Most animals seem to sense more about us than we do of them. I would think more funding would be better put to use for that than finding extra terrestrial life on mars.
I'm fairly open source about this - there aren't exactly any resources, or anything useful for that matter on Mars, and it isn't exactly the most aesthetic place. But then again I'm fascinated by expanding our boundaries as humans and innovation.
The more we learn about Mars could signal more knowledge about Earths' own existence.
We may very well find living bacteria on Mars. They can live well outside the normal thresholds of the limits to normal life.
Quote by JackalUK
We may very well find living bacteria on Mars. They can live well outside the normal thresholds of the limits to normal life.

This.

I saw Brian Cox (that's the sexy Brian Cox, not the actor-type one) do a show about this kind of stuff.

They're called extremophiles. They could be on Mars quite easily.
Quote by Don_Humpador
This.

I saw Brian Cox (that's the sexy Brian Cox, not the actor-type one) do a show about this kind of stuff.

<3 Bri Cox
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
I think there is very little chance of life on Mars right now, it would appear to be a dead planet. However I think the best chance of finding life in out solar system would be under the surface of Europa.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
Quote by HKSR33

What is this I don't even
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by Z_cup_boy
I'm fairly open source about this - there aren't exactly any resources, or anything useful for that matter on Mars,

Not exactly any resources? You mean apart from a whole planet which hasn't yet been mined, and is therefore packed with minerals? Really?
Quote by pbiggie
It resembles a region in Australia? we should send our convicts there.
No we must learn from our mistakes, we don't want another team that will beat us at cricket .
Quote by Z_cup_boy
Ha, alright. If there isn't accessible water, it's going to be astronomically expensive to mine the planet. Unless you plan on drilling it and bringing back tiny samples from all over the planet to research.

anyway, there must be a whole lot of iron there, isn't that what makes it red?
cat
As interested as I am, are there resources there that aren't in abundance here?
Quote by guitarxo

There will be iron, but Mars is brown. It's dust in the air that makes it appear red as light passes through it.
Quote by guitarxo

I thought it was the dust that made it red. Could be wrong. My knowledge is like.. a black hole.
Quote by Z_cup_boy
As interested as I am, are there resources there that aren't in abundance here?

Iron oxide, that's why nobody cares (it's red, red like communism).
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
I don't know guys, the idea of actually colonizing Mars sounds kind of in the present.
I wouldn't be surprised if Mars has extremophiles on it. I would be rather surprised if little green men lived under the surface though.
god damn nosy humans :O leave mars alone, before you destroy any chances of future life on it.
Quote by Z_cup_boy
I don't know guys, the idea of actually colonizing Mars sounds kind of in the present.

haha! this!
Quote by CrAzY-RiLeY
god damn nosy humans :O leave mars alone, before you destroy any chances of future life on it.

We may have to wait a billion years or so to find out if we have destroyed all chances of life on mars.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by Don_Humpador

That sounds like something you'd call a sex offender.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Page 1 of 2