I am curious to find out what are everyones favourite/must have theory books?
I dont know any books personally but I've been recommended the Modern Method for Guitar by William G. Leavitt, Chord Chemistry by Ted Greene and The Jazz Theory Book by Mark Levine. What are everyones thoughts on these books and thoughts on books you guys own?
Mitch.
At the moment I'm working my way through Felix Salzer's counterpoint in composition, after I'm finished I plan to read Kent Kennan's "Counterpoint" (damn creative names). I do highly suggest Walter Piston's "Harmony" for everyone on this site. His counterpoint book is decent as well.

Quote by M!TCH
I've been recommended the Modern Method for Guitar by William G. Leavitt,
I wouldn't. "Guitar theory" books are usually pretty damn simple and boring.

Quote by M!TCH
Chord Chemistry by Ted Greene
Eh, sounds like a book full of voicings, that's just a guess though. It's probably useful for some people. What's your skill level at?

Quote by M!TCH
The Jazz Theory Book by Mark Levine
At the moment, I don't like jazz theory, I feel jazz musicians overcomplicate specific things and completely ignore other things. I much prefer "classical" theory. If you want a book to teach you about intermediary harmony, look for Walter Piston's book. It's not hard to find on the Internet, but unfortunately I can't post a link.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
I second any book by Piston, i also like Harmony in Practise by Anna Butterworth, AB guide to music theory by Eric taylor and Fundamentals of music composition by Schoenberg.
Quote by griffRG7321
Fundamentals of music composition by Schoenberg.

That's an amazing book. I'm up to the part about melody. Even if you don't plan on writing music, it's still an interesting book. He has some thoughtful insights about music in general.
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight

Eh, sounds like a book full of voicings, that's just a guess though. It's probably useful for some people. What's your skill level at?

There is quite a few voicings from what I know but my teacher also said that it contains parts about playing melodies with chord's etc.

I could probably learn/understand anything about theory, my brain is quite quick at processing the info. I just need somthing that will teach me some more advanced harmonic/melodic techniques.
Last edited by M!TCH at Jul 30, 2010,
Quote by M!TCH
I just need somthing that will teach me some more advanced harmonic/melodic techniques.
I've already mentioned something for harmonic techniques, but for beginning melodic techniques I suggest William Russo's Composing music: A New Approach. If you finish that, most composition books have at least a chapter or two on melody. Kent Kennan's counterpoint has one that's alright. The first few chapters of Walter Piston's Counterpoint are specifically about melody, it's all pretty good.

All of these books you can find for free somewhere on the Internet. Once again, I'm not allowed to post links.
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Walter Piston's "Harmony is a standard ... a must for anyone serious about learning the mechanics of music...

ted told me he would have done chord chemistry "different"...his later lessons were far more organized and related to each other much better...its a good book if your at least at the intermediate level of guitar studies...i would not recommend it for beginners...though it does have some basic theory/harmony .. the amount of information and chords will be overwhelming to most just starting out on guitar...

play well

wolf
Quote by wolflen
Walter Piston's "Harmony is a standard ... a must for anyone serious about learning the mechanics of music...

ted told me he would have done chord chemistry "different"...his later lessons were far more organized and related to each other much better...its a good book if your at least at the intermediate level of guitar studies...i would not recommend it for beginners...though it does have some basic theory/harmony .. the amount of information and chords will be overwhelming to most just starting out on guitar...

play well

wolf

Whats the majority of Ted's book about?
Quote by M!TCH
Whats the majority of Ted's book about?

well..chords of course...but it is how they work "together"...from simple I IV V type progressions in close voicings to the same progession in with substitutions and some very difficult chord fingerings..

then he has pages of all the possible fingerings for just chords of all types...and he knows how to use them all...there are a few YouTube clips of Ted playing...check them out...amazing

get the book...its at least a great chord reference ... he has other books also that have nothing but progression in them using many of the chords in chord chem...modern chord progressions vol 1 & 2...

play well

wolf
Quote by wolflen
well..chords of course...but it is how they work "together"...from simple I IV V type progressions in close voicings to the same progession in with substitutions and some very difficult chord fingerings..

then he has pages of all the possible fingerings for just chords of all types...and he knows how to use them all...there are a few YouTube clips of Ted playing...check them out...amazing

get the book...its at least a great chord reference ... he has other books also that have nothing but progression in them using many of the chords in chord chem...modern chord progressions vol 1 & 2...

play well

wolf

Got the book today. My guitar teacher just gave me his OLDDDD copy, he bought it new for $5 back some decades ago haha. I plan on doing an hour a day on it. See if I can expand my chordal vocabulary