From what I've read you "should" keep your thumb behind the middle finger on the back of the neck. This just feels really unnatural to me though, and sticking my thumb out feels way more comfortable. Does this really make that much of a difference?
well, i find it useful; i can then use chords that cant be done with 4 fingers, as well as the lead and the bass simultaneously.

preference is the word. personal preference.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
whatever feels best for you. personally sticking my thumb out as you describe feels uncomfortable for me
I dunno but hendrix played with his whole hand in the wrong position according to some people, so as long as you can efficiently reach all the frets and it doesn't hurt I don't think it really matters.
Ibanez AF105VB
Ibanez RG2550Z
MIM '92 Fender Strat
Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
and that's it. done buying stuff. probably.
Don't forget that comfort isn't just where the thumb is - if you put your arm in a funky position trying to put your thumb in the "right place" then you're not doing it right.

In the end, thumb over the top is very useful too - bends and basslines in particular. However you should prolly try to find a good position for the thumb behind for barre chords and reach.
Cheers all.

I'm not sure if it's affecting my playing ability, which is the reason why I asked the question. I'm currently going through a massive relearning phase as I had 12 years of sloppy assed playing and I just want to make sure I am making it as easy as I can for myself to get it right this time around.

PS. Freepower your Beginners sticky is fantastic, I never realised that I'm not even bending a string properly. No wonder I can't get any sustain!
Play with your thumb in the middle of the neck behind the middle finger except when you bend, you can stick it out. I used to have the bad habit to always have it out.

If your thumb is in the middle of the neck, your fingers will be straight, in an economic position, and you can stretch them more, super useful!
So do you use the side of your thumb rather than the pad? I think this is why I might be going wrong.
Quote by benhaha85
So do you use the side of your thumb rather than the pad? I think this is why I might be going wrong.

What do you mean by this, are you referring to how I put my thumb behind the neck?
I just put it there so my hand can be straight , if your fingers aren't straight, maybe you re doing it wrong.

In the same subject about posture, playing in the classical position with a stool on your left foot is also a good economical way of playing, by knowing this position you can also switch to the other one with your guitar resting on your right leg.
Heres some pictures
http://www.guitarprinciples.com/Guitar_Technique/sitting.htm
People get too caught up it what other people say it the right way to play guitar. Do whatever you want, do what you think makes you play best and sound best.
Quote by SirMajorMusic
People get too caught up it what other people say it the right way to play guitar. Do whatever you want, do what you think makes you play best and sound best.

Yeah but if you play in bad position, you may get tendonitis like I did.
I bet you're playing with the guitar on your right leg. Try playing in the classical position like AhVia said. I find that my thumb feels much more natural being parallel to the rest of my fingers when I play with the guitar on my left leg.
The guy's a beast, but he uses 8s. So he's shit.
-juckfush on Alex Hutchings.
Quote by slayerfrk
doesnt tosin abasi have a hitch hiker thumb? it looks scary lol, but hes a badass player

he has an string. hed have to have massive hands to do that. i doubt it. maybe in his jazz stuff, but not in animals as leaders.

8 string ftw
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Weird. I'm 38 years old and I never realized that all people can't bend the thumb like that (hitchhiker's thumb). My wife can't, but my son can. Learn something new every day.
Quote by Banjocal
he has an string. hed have to have massive hands to do that. i doubt it. maybe in his jazz stuff, but not in animals as leaders.

8 string ftw

have you seen a video of him playing, what would you call his thumb if thats not a hitch hiker thumb?