Hey guys.

The other day i decided it was time i stopped messing about with covers in my room all day, and started making my own songs in my room all day and then recording them. So i went and got myself a microphone and an audio recording interface.

The mic i chose was an SE4400a. Its apparantly an 'all rounder' mic which can nicely record guitars, drums, bass and vocals. The thing is i'm a bit confused on how to best use the mic to its full potential. There are a few different settings on its front which allow you to sellect things like 'rolloff', 'decibels', and patterns such as 'cardioid', 'super cardiod' , 'omni' and 'figure 8'.

I want to get the most out of using this mic and i'm don't have a clue about any of these settings so if someone with a bit of experience could help me out i'd be greatful. Also if anyone has any tips on positioning mics in front of amps it would be great.

Also heres a small 2 minute video on the mic which states its main features, but in a way that i don't understand.

Thanks
Are You Shpongled..?
The diffrent settings will be for diffrent things.

Once you've finished the songs post them to your profile what DAW are you using??
Quote by BKMC

Once you've finished the songs post them to your profile what DAW are you using??

Really? Do you think so? naaah...
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Last edited by Burgery at Jul 30, 2010,
Quote by BKMC

Haha yeh i figured.
I'm using abletone live lite.
Are You Shpongled..?
Rolloff is essentially a filter (high or Low pass) rolloff on most mics means a bass filter.

I'm assuming that what it means by decibels ic is essentially a pad which means that if it's in or out it will boost or cut the mic by however many decibels.

Cardioid, Super Cardioid, Omni and Fig 8 are polar patterns. Essentially in which direction the mic is picking up sound.

Cardioid: Heart shaped sensetivity pattern, basically picks up a lot in front of the mic, a little to the sides and very little or non to the back

Super Cardioid: Variation of Cardioid, again most sensitive at the front while rejecting sounds entering 150 degrees to the rear.

Omni (Omnidirectional): Picks up equally in the 360 degree radius around the mic

Figure 8: Sort of like two Cardioids back to back, picks up from the 'Front' and 'Rear' but rejects from the sides

Hope that helps!
Quote by ImaHighwayChile
Rolloff is essentially a filter (high or Low pass) rolloff on most mics means a bass filter.

I'm assuming that what it means by decibels ic is essentially a pad which means that if it's in or out it will boost or cut the mic by however many decibels.

Cardioid, Super Cardioid, Omni and Fig 8 are polar patterns. Essentially in which direction the mic is picking up sound.

Cardioid: Heart shaped sensetivity pattern, basically picks up a lot in front of the mic, a little to the sides and very little or non to the back

Super Cardioid: Variation of Cardioid, again most sensitive at the front while rejecting sounds entering 150 degrees to the rear.

Omni (Omnidirectional): Picks up equally in the 360 degree radius around the mic

Figure 8: Sort of like two Cardioids back to back, picks up from the 'Front' and 'Rear' but rejects from the sides

Hope that helps!

Thanks man. Great help. Just wondering if you have any tips on when to use the different polar patterns? If i'm just starting out and don't know much about recording, should i just stick to the omni pattern?
Are You Shpongled..?
No Omni's quite specific. If you use omni for recording anything, say a single vocalist for this example, you'll get all the reflections of the room which is not a good thing unless you know what you're doing. Used right however and in a treated room it'll get the most 'natural sound'.

Use Cardioid or supercardioid for most things because they won't pick up anything except for what you're pointing them at therefore giving you more control.

Fig 8 is good for recording two vocals at once if you'd want to do that and can be quite good for room micing. I often use it while recording acoustic instruments to get a slight bit of room sound. It's used a lot in stereo micing techniques.

Omni's make the best room mic, that is if you're trying to mic the sound of the room. Also useful for recording a lot of singers at the same time. I also use them for recording the inside of piano's sometimes too.

To be honest man I'd stick to Cardioid or supercardioid for now and just basically experiment with the others. Everyone has their own ways of using them.

Good luck and enjoy.
Omni is ok if you are after all the ambient sounds in the room, really the only thing I've ever found them useful for was picking up crowd noises when recording a comedian.
Cardioid is the go, esp super Cardioid if trying to record single source sounds like a speaker.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ok that sorts it then. I'll stick to cardioid for now. Thanks again guys.
One last thing though. This sounds really stupid but when you say cardioid only takes in sound from the 'front', what exactly do you mean by the front. Is it the top/smallest side of the mic, or is it one of the two larger sides?
Are You Shpongled..?
Holy frick man, you bought an $800 mic without having any idea of how to work it? I wish I could do that...
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
It's this mic yes?

You can actually see the diaphram beneath the grill on that pic - the disc thing. That's the front, directly into the diaphram.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It's this mic yes?

You can actually see the diaphram beneath the grill on that pic - the disc thing. That's the front, directly into the diaphram.

Ok cool. I'm good to go!
Are You Shpongled..?
Slightly related to the thread, but what is hypercardiod? Also, what should one be looking for in a response pattern for recording a guitar amp? I'm guessing cardioid or super cardioid? Thanks.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Bump for ^ post. I'd like to know what hyper cardioid is to.
Are You Shpongled..?