I played the navarro signature PRS a few weeks ago and I'd have to say its the best guitar I've ever played in terms of playability and projection,but I'll never be able to afford one plus I'm not to into buying signature guitar(personal pref)

So I started looking at musicians friend.com at the Custom 24 SE after comparing the 2 guitars it don't seem like that much difference to warrant that much of a price difference,pickups are the same,both have set necks,the locking tuners can be added later and aren't really a big deal to me anyways...and as some of you know already cosmetics don't matter at all to me so what's the big difference??
.are the prs se guitars similar to the way epiphones are to gibson? I don't know anything about PRS guitars so please help me
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
they are sort of what epiphone is to gibson, but much less extreme. i would say the difference is closer to the epiphone elite les paul to the gibson standard les paul.

the se line is very hard to beat. playability and feel of it are dead on, and rival guitars that cost 3 times more. the sound out of them is actually pretty good too. very versatile pickups. some people change them, but in my personal opinion, i dont feel the need to unless you really want to do metal (but then get the se with emgs).

also, if you dont mind, used se models can be for about $250-350 depending on how hard you look and where.

i forgot to mention before, the reason they're cheap is because of korean assembly, and lack of a carved top. the bird inlays on some of the newer ones arent as nice as the american models (different material), but at that price, its damn nice to just see them there!
Last edited by User_Name336 at Jul 30, 2010,
PRS and PRS SE are probably a lot closer to each other than Gison and Epiphone when it comes to quality. Of course there will be differences, otherwise there would be no price difference, but the SEs could be twice as expensive and it yould still be a great deal.
The SE line (as far as I know) isn't made in the US, which drives the price down a lot. Also, the SEs get a lot less attention to detail than the normal PRSs.

They're great guitars. Feel and sound great. Excellent value and no where near the extremity of Gibson vs. Epiphone in terms of difference.
I considered buying an se but then I bought a US model, well worth the money for sure. I test both the se and american models and can tell you that the se series are very well put together and are great sounding guitars. If you cant afford an american model then get an se, I think you´ll like it.
I definatley am gonna check into one..I'm just shocked they are so well rated for the price...thanks for all the advice

yep its similar to epiphones and gibsons,just like LTD's and ESP's fenders and squires..anyone saying that the "gap" is smaller is BS IMO
Quote by archenemyfan
yep its similar to epiphones and gibsons,just like LTD's and ESP's fenders and squires..anyone saying that the "gap" is smaller is BS IMO

the gap is MUCH smaller. lol.

There are a bunch of difference, some are.
USA models have a one piece body, SE's have no more than an 3 piece body.
both have a dual action truss rod, so it pulls or pushes for relief/tension.
the pick ups, cavity wiring, pots, switches, shielding is all different between the two.
the materials used to make the bridges is different. same design, different metals.
carved top on usa, flat on SE. (except the single cut se units, though the carved top is only about 1/4 inch. (3/4-1 inch on usa models i'm not sure the exact amount, i can measure it later but it's a lot thicker than the SE)
veneer top over maple on an se, actual maple grain top on an USA model.

there are more, tuners etc, how it's made, level of post production inspection etc...

for $300 used the SE guitars are a great value. a used USA PRS can be had as low as $850.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
the gap is MUCH smaller. lol.

hahaha lol

quality wise?

I'd probably listen to what this guy is saying,he pretty much the PRS god around here

damnit gregs,is there anything at all that I'm better than you ?

EDIT : do PRS's have AAA/A grade wood?I'm guessing that SE's dont
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jul 30, 2010,
Quote by archenemyfan
hahaha lol

quality wise?

I'd probably listen to what this guy is saying,he pretty much the PRS god around here

damnit gregs,is there anything at all that I'm better than you ?

EDIT : do PRS's have AAA/A grade wood?I'm guessing that SE's dont

i was just fuking with you. it's really speculative to say in all honesty.

quality wise? probably as you described. some SE models can get through all the quality control steps with issues, i've seen that.

you probably play guitar better than me.

the se tops are just a paper thin veneer over a slab of maple.

USA tops are graded when they arrive at the warehouse and stacked into 3 piles.
non-ten tops, ten tops, artist/private stock. it's a number scale not letters like some mfgs.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
The SE's are very nice guitars. They differ from USA PRS's in the fact firstly they are made in Korea. Then you come to the construction differences. SE's don't have super thick carved and figured maple caps. They do have real maple caps but they are flat and the figuring is in the form of a thin veneer. That is a huge cost cutting measure. Also most USA PRS's have mahogany necks, while the SE's are maple. This is probably the biggest contributor to a difference in tone between the two. Also SE's obviously have cheaper hardware and electronics. Personally I swapped the nut and tuners on mine right out of the box. Still have the stock pickups as they really aren't bad. SE's are probably the best guitars under a grand you will find IMO. This is coming from a guy that owns two USA PRS's as well. Hope that helps.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
I'm gonna look around some used sources since I'm kinda broke lol...the se should good for me since I'm a fan of maple necks anyway, and I the grade of the top won't matter to me I'm a guitar player not a collector....

Gonna go to the end of the internet and find some good deals...thanks